Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
ClusterBusters

NEW! Search the ClusterBuster message board with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cavum Septum Pellucidum and the limbic system (Read 2016 times)
tingeling
God Member

Let`s say yes!!!

Mood:
Cavum Septum Pellucidum and the limbic system
Aug 12th, 2010 at 11:30pm

Hi

Just read about Cavum Septum Pellucidum and that it may be associated to abnormalities of the limbic system.

"A distinguishing characteristic
of the limbic region is that it is highly interconnected
and appears to form the only major route for information transfer
between the neocortex and the hypothalamus.

Hypathalamus:
It is in a part called the diencephalon and is considered to be the master gland of the body because it controls other glands like the pituitary and tells them to produce and secrete, or stop producing and secreting hormones. It also is considered to be the ruler of homeostasis.

Homeostasis refers to the body's ability to physiologically regulate its inner environment to ensure its stability in response to fluctuations in the outside environment and the weather. The liver, the kidneys, and the brain (hypothalamus, the autonomic nervous system and the endocrine system) help maintain homeostasis.
The limbic system directly influences neuroendocnine,
autonomic, and behavioral mechanisms associated with the
diencephalon. Functions such as "fight or flight", stress response.

•Chewing
•Directs Sense Impulses Throughout the Body
•Equilibrium
•Eye Movement, Vision
•Facial Sensation
•Hearing
•Phonation
•Respiration
•Salivation, Swallowing
•Smell, Taste

The diencephalon lies above the brain stem and embodies the thalamus and hypothalamus. The thalamus is an important relay station for sensory information, interpreting sound, smell, taste, pain, pressure, temperature, and touch; it also regulates some emotions and memory.

Neocortex: The newer portion of the cerebral cortex that serves as the center of higher mental functions for humans. The neocortex contains some 100 billion cells, each with 1,000 to 10,000 synapses (connections), and has roughly 100 million meters of wiring, all packed into a structure the size and thickness of a formal dinner napkin. The cells in the neocortex are arranged in six layers, within which different regions permit vision, hearing, touch, the sense of balance, emotional responses.

The neocortex is part of the cerebral cortex (along with the archicortex and paleocortex, which are cortical parts of the limbic system). It is involved in higher functions such as sensory perception, generation of motor commands, spatial reasoning, conscious thought and language

Diencephalic dysfunction: "neurogenic storms". 

When the Diencephalon is dysregulated it can lead to altered states of consciousness, perceptual shifts, hormonal imbalances, and neurogenic storms which are sometimes labeled as mystery pain.

Some refer to the Diencephalon as an energy Czar which is responsible for assuring that the human being that is being stressed possesses adequate energy to flee, or fight as the case may be. How this energy management functions can be somewhat problematic. First it jumps the cravings for high calorie and fatty foods. This is followed by applying the brake to slow the speed of one’s metabolism, and then finishes off the process with a hormonal reduction in indigenous opiods “endorphins” The outcome is weight gain and mild to moderate feelings of depression."

Little bit of everything here but..... One out of ten have Cavum Septum Pellucidum in varies size, without knowing it.

I have been going trough my med journal, and found something unecspected. Never did doc tell me, i have this Cavum thing. what is interesting is that it didn`t appear at first pictures i took. Some years later, it appeard, but without the focal  that is seen to this abnormality . Only the "cyste/space". Then, i got chronic, and i wonder if it`s there now.....And been there since i got chronic. Caused bu CH, or the other way around.

« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2010 at 11:47pm by tingeling »  

IP Logged

Jeff_007

Here to stay.

Milford, Mi
Mood:
Re: Cavum Septum Pellucidum and the limbic system
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 3:47pm

tingeling wrote on Aug 12th, 2010 at 11:30pm:
When the Diencephalon is dysregulated it can lead to altered states of consciousness, perceptual shifts, hormonal imbalances, and neurogenic storms which are sometimes labeled as mystery pain.

This is very interesting. When I was a kid (about 4 or 5) I suffered from something they now call "Night Terrors".  I would awake from sleep, but be in an altered state of consciousness and be hallucinating.  I saw many bad things that a kid should not see. My parents of course were freaked out the first time it happened and I was rushed to the ER. The doctors ran all sorts of tests at that time but did not diagnose anything. It would happen periodically until I was around 13. Mostly when i was sick and running a fever. I was fully functional and could communicate, but I did not know who you were or where I was. Everything seemed to move very fast, and I would see things happen at times that cannot be explained. The room would stretch for what looked like miles. Stuff would move that shouldn't be moving. It was quite the experience now that I look back.
But I always wondered if there was some connection to the CH with that. My brain obviously was malfunctioning then, and is also now.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2010 at 3:48pm by Jeff_007 »  

Sometimes, the longest journey can lead you right back to where you started....but in a whole new place.

IP Logged

MJ

ClusterBusters!

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 2:22am

Hi
The cavity may indeed be associated with headache but I dont think its proven yet.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15377318

It appears to have a significant relationship to several pshyce disorders though still little understood.
http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/155/8/1074

The cavum does not appear to change with age but...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9719776

Just for fun another way to look at the brain and its wiring.
http://www.kurzweilai.net/ibm-scientists-create-most-comprehensive-map-of-the-br...

IP Logged

tingeling
God Member

Let`s say yes!!!

Mood:
Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 5:28am

Thank you Smiley

Another thing, someone noticed getting impure skin, when it rambles up?

That is also caused by neurogenic storms. I notice that as one of the first things.
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2010 at 5:29am by tingeling »  

IP Logged

MattyAA

ClusterBusters!

Poland, EU
Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 11:09am

Quite interesting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print