Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 13th, 2024, 8:46pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Shadows...and triggers for chronic CH'ers »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Shadows...and triggers for chronic CH'ers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Shadows...and triggers for chronic CH'ers  (Read 218 times)
jayhawk
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Shadows...and triggers for chronic CH'ers
« on: Dec 9th, 2002, 9:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is "shadow" a term most neuros are/should be familiar with? I see my new neuro tomorrow and just wondering if she'll know what I'm talking about...and to make sure I DO know what you all  mean when you refer to shadows (i'm assuming it's the same thing I'm experiencing)...that when it's the sensation of a CH, (with warning signs, too) but without the excruciating pain?  
Do you other chronic sufferers have CH's triggered by flying and being in the mountains? Being out in bright sunshine? Sleeping flat without  a pillow (like if you're camping?)?
IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

Re: Shadows...and triggers for chronic CH'ers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 9th, 2002, 9:40am »

Jay hawk,
I have the same self defination of shadows.  Basically I know the beast is there by a low grade KIP scale, or feeling that he is present.  After coming out of a cycle the shadows seem to linger for several days.

Triggers for me when I was chronic were certain types of alcohol and temperature changes.  Over the years I have thankfully gone to episodic and trigger have become seasonal temperature changes, altitude when traveling by air, time zone changes and certain types of alcohol (at least I have learned what to avoid).

Good luck with the neuro visit.  Hope you have found a good one.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

SFChris

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 9th, 2002, 10:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Jayhawk,

My neurologist understood what I mean't by "shadow" immediately.  He referred to it as Pro-drone or Pro-drome.  I'm not sure if I am spelling it correctly.  Good luck.

Chris
IP Logged
Jackie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go For It!!!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 9th, 2002, 11:21am »

Hi Jayhawk,

Blake (my CH hubby) describes "shadows" as feeling like there is a mask or a glove on the CH area of his head.  It is a pressure type feeling and usually a warning of worse things to come.  It is not terribly painful but does hurt and caused him great aggravation.

I don't know if doctos/neuros recognize the term  ???

As to the triggers.....Blake is chronic and can't tolerate any alcohol. Certain scents (raw onions being one of them) will set him off.

Good luck tomorrow....let us know how you come out.

Jacks Cool
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2002, 12:43pm by Jackie » IP Logged
Virginia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

v49acosta  

« Reply #4 on: Dec 9th, 2002, 2:10pm »

Jayhawk,

For me, shadows are tolerable and don't reduce me to tears.  They are a constant dull pain that just lingers.  

As far as triggers for us chronics...I don't notice anything in particular triggering them.  I get them everyday regardless of what I'm doing or where I'm at.  But I do know that alcohol will make them even worse for about a day or two.

Good luck with the neuro.

V.
IP Logged

The Clusterhead formerly known as 9erfan.
SommelierCH
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I’m awed by the amazing resiliency that we possess

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 9th, 2002, 2:52pm »

JayHawk,

My triggers are alcohol (even the smallest amount, like a non-alcoholic beer) and bright light in my right (cluster side) eye. When I feel the shadows creeping in I hit the Oxygen and that pushes them back. However, when I’m asleep I can’t feel the shadows increasing and I wake up with the Big One. Jonny clued me in that if you take abortive triptans (I use Maxalt MLT 10mg. or Zomig ZMT 5mg., both are quick dissolving tabs) before going to bed, they can prevent that night time attack, especially if you get hit, like I do, within 2 hours of going to sleep. The half-life of both of these tabs is in the 2-3 hour range. This has enabled me to get quality sleep these last 2 weeks. (thanks again, Jonny). Try to get a foam wedge from a Medical Supply store (or make one yourself) that goes on your bed and elevates the torso. This might keep the blood from pooling in your head while you sleep. Oxygen for the increasing shadows is the most important thing.

Good luck and let us know if anything helps,

David J.
IP Logged

Wine is a little like love. When the right one comes along, you know it!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss