Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 2:44pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Bloody nose during a CH? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Bloody nose during a CH?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Bloody nose during a CH?  (Read 3918 times)
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bloody nose during a CH?
« on: Mar 14th, 2004, 7:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have yet to find reference to this.  Anyone else ever had it happen?  

I am not speaking of blood dripping out of the nostril... just the mucous getting blood tinged, or a slight sense of blood in the back of the nose/throat.

The only times I notice it are:
-If I take a shot of Imitrex Nasal well into an nasty CH (40min+), it will come out tinged with blood.
- The morning after even a mild CH the shower will loosen up some bloody mucous from the HA side of the nose only. Might just be a tiny series of clots, but there it is.
- Well into an HA I will get that iron-like taste in the back of my throat. (if for some reason I do not abort it, which is like never)

No sinus infection.  Just a regular normally timed once every 2-3 year January-March CH episode.  First time with the blood thing.

Thx,
Rock  

IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
Jackie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go For It!!!

Email

Re: Bloody nose during a CH?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14th, 2004, 7:36am »

This has happened to Blake a few times.

We attributed it to Imitrex nasal spray, extensive 02 use (which can dry one out) and dry air in general.

Like you it was only a slight stain of blood.

Jacks Cool
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14th, 2004, 8:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I agree about the dry air.  This time of year is terrible for that.  I would suggest you purchase a humidifier, it helps tremendously!

Smileymel
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15th, 2004, 9:27am »

I always get blood out of my nostril on my ch side, before, during and for a little while after a cycle, it is one of my warning signs that a cycle is on the way.
IP Logged
Luke63
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

For sale:  1 BIG BARKING  HEAD   Price: Free

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15th, 2004, 9:57am »

never had it happen...but probably just dry air..excessive O2...or Imitrex spray...I wouldn't get too alarmed...Jim  aka(Luke)
IP Logged

I think we should all get together and do a movie..."Night of The Clusterheads". George Romero would have nothing on us!!!
broomhilda
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Ride it!

witchilda

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15th, 2004, 1:08pm »

I have had two on ch side, very strange for me as I never get nosebleeds at all except when I was pregnant and that I am so NOT!!!!!!

Andrea
IP Logged

Suck it up Princess...

Connie2
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15th, 2004, 7:49pm »

I've often had bloody dry mucus on the CH side often after a CH.  It did happened each time during my stay at the Thomas Jefferson Clinic who specializes in CH.  They said that it was normal and not to worry.  The nurses told me that it was most likely due to 02 use and that they do see it quite often.  Connie
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2004, 7:52pm by Connie2 » IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 4:14am »

Sorry,
it has never happened to me.

Best wishes & PFdays,
sandie99
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 7:04am »

Thx all.  Good to see it is not just me.

Just fyi... I started o2 a few weeks ago... this has been going on for about two months on the CH side.  Thus it is not an o2 thing... just another strange CH symptom.

Rock
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
thomas

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 8:21am »

on Mar 16th, 2004, 7:04am, Rock_Lobster wrote:
Thx all.  Good to see it is not just me.

Just fyi... I started o2 a few weeks ago... this has been going on for about two months on the CH side.  Thus it is not an o2 thing... just another strange CH symptom.

Rock

I agree, I haven't used O2 or any kind of nasal spray abortives in a long time.
IP Logged
broomhilda
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Ride it!

witchilda

« Reply #10 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 1:09pm »

Me three, no o2 or nasal sprays here either!

Strange.......
IP Logged

Suck it up Princess...

Pegase
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

Hit the Road Jack...

« Reply #11 on: Mar 26th, 2004, 10:46pm »

me too... got a bloody nose this afternoon in the hot shower... only bleed a couple of sec... and then stop... Not the first time it happenned to me this time of the year... bloody nose on the left side... CH on the rightWink

Pegase
IP Logged
Turts
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight

Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 1st, 2004, 8:01am »

No not me, but I do get intense nose bleed before cycle. It will literally RUNNING out for up to ten minutes. I almost drown in it.  

I use get a collapsed nostril after using Nasal Spray, but its was only the first 2 or 3 times.

I would not be concerned.

Turts
IP Logged

'I'm very brave generally,' he went on in a low voice: 'only today I happen to have a headache.' (Lewis Carroll)
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #13 on: Apr 1st, 2004, 10:01am »

Mine will bleed whenever I smash my head on the concrete too hard. But I think that's a different senerio.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

Luke63
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

For sale:  1 BIG BARKING  HEAD   Price: Free

Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 1st, 2004, 10:27am »

These things happen echo.....mine too when I crack my head against the O2 tank  OUCH!!! But seriuosly...no bleeding.....but alot ..and i mean alot of clear discharge..as if I was swimming and get out of the pool.
IP Logged

I think we should all get together and do a movie..."Night of The Clusterheads". George Romero would have nothing on us!!!
Pegase
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

Hit the Road Jack...

« Reply #15 on: Apr 1st, 2004, 10:47am »

Luke same for me... alot of clear discharge... My girlfriend is always buying a lot of tissues boxes...Wink Each morning I have a lot discharge and it's easy to empty my nose...but as the day goes on congestion comes and go and it's more difficult to empty my nose...

BTW.... since im on verapamil I seems to be using less tissuesWink

Pegase
IP Logged
Jerry_Delicious
New Board Newbie
England 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #16 on: Apr 24th, 2004, 10:23pm »

I always feel as if my nose SHOULD be bleeding, just to give the outside world some indication of the pain I'm feeling, but it hasn't happened yet. All I get (asides from feeling like there's a tumor the size of Iceland behind my eye) is dizziness and loss of concentration (concentration intensifies pain).
Off topic, does anyone else get visual disturbances, I know these are more commonly associated with migraine sufferers (mine are definately clusters), but some times I get a sort of flaring effect in the CH side of my sight during bad attacks (man, I love brackets).
IP Logged
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Apr 25th, 2004, 8:25pm »

No nosebleeds here....ever (except for that one right after that nasty jetski accident a few years back) Shocked

Unsolved
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #18 on: Apr 25th, 2004, 9:20pm »

Just to refresh, I've had HA attacks randomly over the last 13 years,  and the past 1.5 years they became more and more frequent untill May 8th when I entered a full blown daily multi-attack a day cycle.  

I have had very rare occasional streaking of blood, but I never assosiated it with the attacks.  This Cycle has been going on for 7 weeks starting the 8th as of tomorrow, and I haven't had any blood at all. Lots of empty kleenex boxes though. laugh
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
floridian

Email

« Reply #19 on: Apr 26th, 2004, 12:07pm »

What you described doesn't sound too serious.  Worth mentioning to your doc next time you see him, but a few spots of blood the day of or the day after a cluster headache probably isn't a sign of impending doom.  

Imitrex can raise blood pressure - maybe enough to cause a little leaking, especially if the tissues are dried out.  If anything, keep an eye on your blood pressure before and after taking trex.

Clusters themselves can cause fluctuating blood pressure, so if you have a thin nasal lining,  a spot of blood could occur.

Clusters are associated with inflammation from histamine, nitric oxide, and other substances that cause more leakage from the capillaries.  

Blowing your nose to deal with the runny clear stuff that most of us get can cause a little blood to leak.  
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2004, 12:08pm by floridian » IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: May 4th, 2004, 12:03am »

Nosy ree in here tonight ((get it Nosy ree??)) any way... Sometimes bloody noses are related to increase of blood pressure as well... It might be a good idea to check your BP while having an attack...if you can let anyone cuff ya.........without killing them... good luck and I hope they stop... Dave has used the nasal spray and I have too and haven't had any problems with nose bleeds.  love to you Ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss