Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 6:20pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « NEW & Desperate for suggestions »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   NEW & Desperate for suggestions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: NEW & Desperate for suggestions  (Read 842 times)
purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: NEW & Desperate for suggestions
« Reply #25 on: Apr 29th, 2004, 7:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello Kate,
Yes, it's true that weight loss/gain is among other side effects of several medicines. I always found out later about that side effect.  I was too busy worrying about the pain and why wouldn't it stop.  Your best bet is to become as informed as possible about CH. Go to a large book store and see what they have. Surf the net. This website has a wealth if information. You can search it. Ask questions if you can't find it.  Let all information you get just be a guide to how you can help yourself. Start making a list of what's working for you and what's not. There are lot's of things to try, and it can be a slow process to find something that works for you. Find a doctor that you can work with and will [/color]listen[color=Black] to YOU, whether it's a neuro or a regular GP. And last, but not least, is it really going to matter in the long run if you put on a few pounds now? There are few things you can control and the rest-   shit happens.  Like these headaches. Don't stress too much. And WELCOME! Smiley
IP Logged

bean
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #26 on: May 1st, 2004, 6:31pm »

chronic clusterheads, this is a message to you. I have quit eating the following foods, and my headaches have been drastically reduced.  

*And the effects build up over time. I used to eat and drink all the following(except alcohol and coffee, never been big on those) and would go about my daily routine and when clusters came, they came. Only when I quit eating and drinking them could I tell a sensitivity to them.  
Now the list. It is pretty complete TO ME.  

1. Soy sauce--(miso, tamari, shoyu, fish sauce, etc.)  

2. MSG-- monosodium glutamate--the only other name I have seen it listed under is L-glutamic acid one time on a pizza.  

3.tobacco- this even includes smokey rooms and bars, clubs, etc.  

4.chocolate-    

5.coffee-  

6.soda pop with caffiene (and/or brown coloring, just to be safe)- only orange soda and sprite and the like- YUM!  

7.alcohol-  

8.tea-  

9. sharp cheddar cheese, gorgonzola, bleu, etc. --the gorg and bleu can be eaten every once in a while, and parmigon is just too prevalent and not even the real stuff to worry about.  

10.stress--!  

and pickles and saurkraut, just to be as complete as possible  
 also-- vegemite (in australia) aka marmite in UK, preserved meats: bacon, hams, etc.- the nitrites are the no-no

All I ask, suggest, whatever; is for you to quit eating and drinking these for as long as you can. I'd say 3-4 months, or longer if you can. If you don't see ANY improvement, feel free to go back and chow down. I really think you might, though.

chocolate might be the hardest for sheer taste, as well as coffee, and MSG might be the hardest for sheer prevalence, this stuff is EVERYWHERE, but it has been one of the most worthwhile things I have ever done. From sheer madness every headache, to VERY manageable (so far, cross fingers).  

I want to yell it from the rooftops, I SWEAR TO GOD THIS REALLY WORKS!  

Just try it, what do you have to lose?  

ever since I started cutting back (completely eliminatingSmiley the foods on this list, starting about 6-8 years ago, my headaches have gradually diminished to where they really only fuck with me if I slip up on accident and eat some MSG that I didnt know was in the food, am around cigarrettes, etc.  

TRY THIS SHIT!  Grin  

« Last Edit: May 1st, 2004, 7:46pm by bean » IP Logged
HypnoticFreddy

Email

« Reply #27 on: May 1st, 2004, 7:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Beans response is good in that it brings up a point.

I would keep a daily diary of what you have eaten, along with a headache diary. Detail each day. Different foods and substances can contribute to CH attacks (I believe). I think there is evidence of nitrates being triggers in many CH sufferrrers. Lots of foods contain different nitrates, so it may hold credence.

When I am in a cycle I do a lot of writing. Of course not during the attacks!!!!

-Scott
IP Logged
gills
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #28 on: May 1st, 2004, 7:17pm »

Kate

My sympathies are with you.  

IMITREX self administered injections are a must for you.  Can you imagine being pain free in 4 to 6 minutes after taking injection.

Sounds bad but believe me you will not hesitate to inject yourself when you know it will get rid of it. It will not stop you from getting more, but will get rid of the one you have.  Also try verapamil as a preventative.

Stay away from the Narcs and the surgery.

Good luck.  Your symptoms are identical to mine.

Gills

IP Logged
bean
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #29 on: May 1st, 2004, 7:44pm »

I luuuv the narcs! until a few years ago, I wouldnt even consider them, as they would have done no good. now, if I want to, I'll take them. there is a addiction element, though... like a week later, I'll be like "boy, it sure would fun to take another one of those..."  

also, as an avid listener of Loveline, Drew has said that sufferers of chronic pain who are addicted to painkillers experience a lessening of pain when they quit the killers because peoples bodies/minds can CREATE pain just to feed the need...

My headaches have continued to decrease in severity, though, so I havent had to take a pill in quite some time, though... you have to wait until its worth it, sometimes you can wait them out- Im talking about decreased headaches, not full blowners

and yeah, nitrites are on the list, just forgot them... thx
IP Logged
HypnoticFreddy

Email

« Reply #30 on: May 1st, 2004, 8:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
I luuuv the narcs! until a few years ago, I wouldnt even consider them, as they would have done no good. now, if I want to, I'll take them. there is a addiction element, though... like a week later, I'll be like "boy, it sure would fun to take another one of those..."  

Be careful friend. Be careful.

-Scott
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss