Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 17th, 2024, 5:10am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « need advice please »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   need advice please
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: need advice please  (Read 271 times)
rearviewmirror
New Board Newbie
USA 

need advice please
« on: May 30th, 2004, 10:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I need some advice please.  I just had a HA after being PF for  4 days.  A 4 or5 Kip scale.  I am newly diagnosed with CH and on medication for first time.  
  I am on day 5 of a 10 day Prednisone prescription.  I have also taken Zomig pill for the first 4 days. I have two left.  I was told by Dr. I would only need it first four days, but he gave me 6 samples in case headaches came back months later.
  I did not take a Zomig tonight because my awake HA's are not nearly as bad as sleeping ones.
   I have a couple quesions  
   1.  What was keeping me PF ? The higher Prednisone or Zomig?
   2.  If it was Prednisone but HA have broken through will the Zomig help to abort one HA or will it help longer.
   Since i have only 2 I need to make it until I can get to a doctor on Tues.
   If anyone can help I would be very grateful.  This site and the people on it have helped me alot already the past 5 days.
   Thanks JOE  
IP Logged
Sean_C

Email

Re: need advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 30th, 2004, 11:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I take Pred and do the taper thing for preventative and Imitrex for abortive.

Wait around for a little while someone will know better than me regarding the Zomig.

PFDAN to you

Sean
IP Logged
rearviewmirror
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: May 30th, 2004, 11:46pm »

on May 30th, 2004, 11:22pm, Sean_C wrote:
I take Pred and do the taper thing for preventative .

PFDAN to you

Sean

Have you ever had HA come back during the taper?
From what I have read the dose I am on is probably light.  10 mg.pills 5 pills  day 1 and 2, 4 3 and 4, etc.    light dose or doesnt work?

JOE
IP Logged
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 31st, 2004, 5:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Of course dude, not all meds work everytime. Sometimes I go through the whole cycle and strictly relied on my abortives.

Try some different meds, O2 works great, maybe give that a shot.

Sean
IP Logged
rearviewmirror
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #4 on: May 31st, 2004, 5:37am »

I will try O2 asap.  I wish I had found this place before the Doctor.  I would have known what to ask for. But at least he got me on the right track. I am going to see if I can reach him on memorial day.  
  I guess I was hoping to end or manage the cycle PF right from the start.  i can see now this is going to be a long battle.  It's hard to stay positive.    
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #5 on: May 31st, 2004, 1:57pm »

The Zomig is your abortive medication.  The Prednisone is your profolactic.  The Prednisone may have been keeping the beast at bay for a bit, or as the beast just LIVES to fuck with us.  You were just PF for a few days. Just keep trying and O2 might work for you as an abortive.  Doesnt seem to help me but many of us swear by it.
 I just had my first headache in three weeks lastnight.  I was silently jumping up and down that my cycle had finally broken.

Good Luck

Good Vibes

MYNM156
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2004, 1:59pm by mynm156 » IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #6 on: Jun 2nd, 2004, 9:36am »

Sorry Joe but I have no encouragment regarding Prednsione.

Lots of us have found the "Prednisone Taper" gives some relief, but for many it is short lived. the "Prednisone Holiday" is very well known here. The worst thing is that just when you think the pain has gone after 4 or 5 days on pred, it starts up again even though you keep taking it.

Some advise that you only use it while a decent preventative gets time to kick in.

Personally I will never use pred again. I used it over at least 10 episodes over the past many years and was always dissapointed with the end result.

Imigran injections are the only thing for me that works to stop a CH in its tracks.
John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss