Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 3:44pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « More cluster questions - ear pain? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   More cluster questions - ear pain?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: More cluster questions - ear pain?  (Read 304 times)
Doug2
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

More cluster questions - ear pain?
« on: Jun 1st, 2004, 7:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is it typical to get pain behind the ear (the bone behind the ear) with cluster headaches? After the pain/knawing around the eye, my ear area is the next one to exhibit most symptoms.  

Is there a physiologic reason for this?

Is it typical for the cluster to change sides between attacks. Mine have always done that. I have episodes on both the right and left side (though not at the same time).

What are shadows? Are they actual visual symptons (which I don't get) or the knawing/pressure feelings that move around and that precede attacks.

Is there a sub-acute phase? Many times I'll get the knawing/pressure moving around my head but it does not always go into a full blown headache.

Thanks for any info you can provide!
IP Logged
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

Re: More cluster questions - ear pain?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 1st, 2004, 9:21pm »

Somewhere in here (I'll look for it too), there is a post with a picture of the trigeminal nerve . . .it has multiple branches that hit the areas you are describing . . .
D's h/as have changed sides before, and I know there are others who have posted the same thing .. .it doesn't always do it and it doesn't always do it to everyone .. the nature of the beast is to do what it wants . .without rhyme or reason (that I can see) .. .
The 'knawing' you describe may be what others call shadows or pressure . . .more an annoyance or warning of things that might possibly come . . .
Sorry you are a member, but glad you found the board *smiles*
*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
ExplodingEyeBall
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I can't think of anything clever to put here.

« Reply #2 on: Jun 2nd, 2004, 9:43am »

Here's a picture that jonny posted for me a while back.

You can expect to have pain any place that this nerve runs.

The area behind the ear is one of my most painful areas during a CH beaten only by the extreme pain behind my eye.

My HAs switch sides now. They didn't in the past but now I'll get hit for a while on one side and then things will cool down for a while and then suddenly here's some more on the wrong side.

Pat
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2004, 9:44am by ExplodingEyeBall » IP Logged

Just poke out my eye and get it over with!!!
Bucco
New Board Newbie
USA 

If I could only get to sleep!

« Reply #3 on: Jun 2nd, 2004, 1:13pm »

I have always experienced pressure  behind my ear. In fact, I had ear surgeries on the side where I get the H/As and the first time I experienced the pain I now know as cluster headaches  was when recovering from one of these surgeries. I talked to my ENT about it but he pooh-poohed the idea that the operation could have caused the headaches.  I'm not so sure.  Undecided
IP Logged
Elaine

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 2nd, 2004, 4:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yes when I get a cluster the whole side of my face hurts and that bone behind my ear. For years they treated me for ear problems.  

Mine changed sides only a couple of times.

That pressure feelings before a attack is what I call a shadow.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss