Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 5:49pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Signs they are coming? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Signs they are coming?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Signs they are coming?  (Read 522 times)
Darlyc
New Board Newbie
USA 

"Fallen"

darlyc42

Signs they are coming?
« on: Sep 10th, 2004, 7:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My clusters come in September. It's September. For the past week, my head hurts. Not a cluster yet just my head hurts. Feels all swollen in there behind my right eye. I can press the exact spot at my eye where it hurts. Last year when they came on after being in remission for years, I thought I was having sinus trouble. This year I know it's not sinus. I am not taking any Tylenol or Motrin because I know that depletes your serotonin.  I started on Melatonin. Has anyone else got these headaches before the clusters come on? It's like a warning. Maybe I just think too much with the right side of my brain and I need to move things over to the left. Anyways, it feels like a ton of lead in there on that right side. Anyways my head is really hurting on that right side.
IP Logged
BlueMeanie

Email

Re: Signs they are coming?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10th, 2004, 7:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Darly,

Yep, I too am having shadows. Every Sept. I get a cycle that last until around Christmas. I've had shadows for 7 days now but so far so good. I'm sure it's only a matter of time though. Heading to Vegas Monday. Sure hope the Beast waits for me to enjoy my last few PF days. I hate going to Vegas without BEER.

Take care. Maybe our cycles won't happen this time.

Crossing fingers & toes for the both of us !!!!!!!!
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10th, 2004, 7:43pm »

Doesn't sound unusual to me.  

Hope your cycle comes and goes quickly ... or better yet ... never comes at all.

Unsolved
IP Logged
Darlyc
New Board Newbie
USA 

"Fallen"

darlyc42

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10th, 2004, 7:45pm »

Hi BlueMeanie,

Are you doing anything to try to stop them from coming on?

I am doing the water, Melatonin, and saline nasal spray.

Xanax too because I have anxiety from *#@)! Cry
IP Logged
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10th, 2004, 7:52pm »

No. I don't do prevents cept for Melatonin to help sleep a little longer before the next attack. Not that I don't believe in them, just I've tried most everything & never found a prevent to work for me. Trex injections are my only answer. Unless I run out, then I use Amerge tablets as my only other option. So you know though, DO NOT mix triptans.

edited: I forgot to say I also use 02, but it doesn't work too often for me. I will pick some up as soon as the cycle starts though.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2004, 8:14pm by YOSIMITE » IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 10th, 2004, 8:27pm »

Darlyc

I'm pretending to myself much of the time that I'm not in the same situation, but truthfully I am.

I have trigeminal "rumblings" , jaw sore, eye watering oddly and for me most significant, a kind of "hot spot" in the part of my brain where the Ch hits. No pain yet, but I'm not holding my breath, just prepared (perhaps Undecided)

Wendy
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 10th, 2004, 9:59pm »

I get a twitching eye, tingles in my feet/brain, and disturbed sleep before a cycle gears up. Some years the beast skips his July/August visits, but I usually still get the omens.  

PS - what about magnesium?
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2004, 10:00pm by floridian » IP Logged
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11th, 2004, 4:09am »

I get the shadows at the beginning of a cycle too.  Head feels all full on the right side, pain but not as bad a a full on CH.

Also, I am not sure if it is connected or not, I am still keeping tabs, but just before and then all during a cycle, a small spot of skin above my right eye, and all skin on the right side next to my nose, peels like crazy.  It doesn't dry out, just peels.  I put every kind of cream, cortisone, anti-bacterial etc...on it, doesn't help.  Once I was given a steroid to put on it and that helped, but was told I couldn't use it for very long.  It is really annoying.  Doctor can't figure out what it is (or won't bother...).  This skin problem is why at the beginning they thought I might have Lupus (sp?).  Anyway, when the cycle ends, it seems like the skin clears up.  Strange.

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11th, 2004, 5:39am »

Better get in the offensive mode and try to kill the thing before it comes or at least deminish it before it takes hold.  Are you on Verapamil or the like? Melatonin is a good idea now maybe throw in some B-complex vitamins.  Some people will do a steriod taper at the beginning to try to end it before it begins.  

Wishing you the best of luck,

John Undecided
IP Logged
zooey
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 12th, 2004, 4:37pm »

Hi!

I get warning signs too -- my laft facial muscles don't work the same as my right side. My left eye stays smaller. I can certainly relate to the Floridians who are waiting for Hurricane Ivan to strike -- I feel as if the storm clouds are gathering inside my head, behind my left eye and know it is just a matter of time before the next storm hits!

Good luck to you, get some rest before it hits -- you'll need it.
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #10 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 10:26am »

I get HA's for weeks or even months before a cycle becomes full-blown. They start with one or two a week then they come almost daily, always in the same area as the CH pain but rather more dull and annoying than CH pain. I usually treat them by rubbing tiger balm or taking aspirin etc at first until WHAM the first big one comes then I break out the Imigran Injections!

Now when I get "headachey" I start an intense detox diet and I have had good success in breaking my last 3 cycles over the past couple of years.

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
StanTheMan
New Board Veteran
USA 

"I can do all things through Christ..."

Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 9:37pm »

Amazing!!  I was just about to start a thread regarding this very topic and it confirmed some things I've been wondering / suspicious of...

It's been exactly two years since my last cycle, and for the past month or so I've been having very mild pressure behind my left eye -- not really enough to for me to call it a shadow -- but it's there.  Plus I've been having some tearing in that eye and my sleep has gotten all out of whack.

So, nothing has materialized as far as a bonafide CH, but I'm getting the impression that the Beast is a teaser -- just letting me know he hasn't forgotten me.  Tongue

I convinced my regular doc to start up my Lithium -- at least for a month or so and see what happens.

Here's hoping and praying that all of us experiencing these wierd things don't go into cycle.

Regards!

StanTheMan
IP Logged

"All the days of the afflicted are bad, but the cheerful heart has a continual feast." - - - - - Proverbs 15:15
Darlyc
New Board Newbie
USA 

"Fallen"

darlyc42

« Reply #12 on: Sep 15th, 2004, 3:43pm »

Went to a neuro doctor today about my headaches. I haven't had the cluster yet just the signs.

He prescribed Indocin and Pamelor. I know about the Indocin (used it before). The first time I used it many years ago it did work. The second time it didn't. I am willing to try it again.

The Pamelor. I had a reaction to Elavil and it being in the same class as that don't believe I will be trying that one right now. I am a light weight when it comes to those anti-depressants.

My option is to quit smoking or take the meds. I need to get rid of the headache before I can quit the smoking so I am going for the Indocin and keeping on the Melatonin.
IP Logged
Ruth
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 15th, 2004, 7:12pm »

Before my Ch's would start, I would start to feel like my body was going thought some sort of change, I would start to feel a little down, depressed, maybe gain a few pounds some stomach distress, not a great deal. Then I would have headaches, everyday, escpeically in the morning, they would go away after awhile unless I went outside and mowed the lawn and got too hot, then pound pound. I noticed that I was more sensitive to noise, clanging of dishes etc. Then I would get really lethargic and sure nuf, here they come. After they would come lots of things I would avoid, strong chemical smells, frying tortillas, of course alcohol. Drastic changes in temperature could either bring a attack on or abort one.
It is all just big ol mystery!
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #14 on: Sep 15th, 2004, 9:05pm »

For me, it's always the sleep pattern.  Start waking up several times a night for no particular reason.  Also, my eye starts drooping a little more than usual.  

Melatonin is a good start, and I hope the Indocin helps you.  Verapamil and a Prednisone taper seem to be my saving graces, though I still have several weeks of regular visits that demand Trex injects.

Wishing you PFDAN!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 16th, 2004, 1:17am »

Is it or isn't it? Is it this, or is it that? Similiar, but not the same. Second guessing is such a pain in the butt.

Till it drops me to my knees, it's just Gadfly...the distraction.

All or nothing,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #16 on: Sep 16th, 2004, 11:07am »

Yep,   just like the good folks in the previous posts said.     As soon as I think my CH is gonna leave for awhile, I start to ween myself off the Verapamil.  But as soon as I begin to feel wierd sleep patterns, or have those un-easy feelings in that part of my head, I get right back on the Verapamil.  Pay attention to your feelings.  After awhile, the Neuros will listen to ya.  Especially cause most of them dont know what CH is.  Its rare to find a Neuro who suffers from CH.  I think I was extremely lucky that my first Neruo also has CH.  Too bad there is no known cure.   But my very first Neruo told me Verapamil is a taper on--taper off, type med.    
   I start with 120mg when I feel the need.  Get up to as much as 600 mg a day when in mid cycle, then start to taper off as quickly as I can without getting my brain in a knot.
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss