Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 17th, 2024, 12:25pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « has prednisone ever not worked? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   has prednisone ever not worked?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: has prednisone ever not worked?  (Read 388 times)
lana_banana
New Board Newbie
USA 

Da Bears!

has prednisone ever not worked?
« on: Sep 12th, 2004, 9:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been taking 70 mils of prednisone for the last 5 days and will go down to 60 tomorrow and I haven't had any relief. I have been trying the melatonin too, but it doesn't seem to help. Just got lidocaine yesterday but haven't used it yet. Shouldn't the prednisone be helping already???
IP Logged
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

Re: has prednisone ever not worked?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12th, 2004, 9:54pm »

Hi Lana,

I would think that you would be getting some kind of relief by now.  However, the last time I took prednisone, I didn't get any relief until I dropped the dosage the first time.  I though it was just some weird anamoly.  Maybe tomorrow you'll get the same effect and finally get some relief.

Best Wishes,

John
IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
lana_banana
New Board Newbie
USA 

Da Bears!

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12th, 2004, 10:00pm »

Well I hope you are right and I will get some relief soon. I had a really bad HA last night that lasted over 2 hours. I don't have oxygen b/c I don't have insurance right now. This is my first cycle without it since I first used 02. I don't have a local doctor either to help me out. I had to go back to Indiana from Milwaukee this weekend just to get some meds from my old family doc.
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 12:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

70 mg of Prednisone for 5 days should've already been helping prevent CH attacks.  

Most of the time that will help me, but a few times I had to go to even a higher dose (100mg/day)

Unsolved

PS. A shot of Decadron at the ER and a script for a DexPak may be helpful. As your neuro about it and he could set it up in advanced.
IP Logged
broomhilda
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Ride it!

witchilda

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 2:23am »

Pred has worked for so many but it did not for me, I am sorry but I had no success with it at all, this cycle Undecided

Good luck, pf wishes

Andrea
IP Logged

Suck it up Princess...

clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 4:56am »

First time I took the Pred it was very helpful.  I think it shortened my cycle.  This cycle, it didn't help at all.  Although, I might have not started it in time or maybe my dosage is not quite right.  The more I read on the boards, the more I think that I am on too low a dose.

I take 50mg on day 1, and decrease by 5mg each day for 10 days.  It seems like others take the 50, or more, for a number of days before starting to taper off.  Now that I think about it, any input on this would be helpful so I can speak with my doctor about it.

Lana, hope it helps you out soon.

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 8:14am »

My 'normal' taper schedule looks like this:

60mg/day X 3 days
40mg/day X 3 days
20mg/day X 3 days
10mg/day X 3 days
Then discontinue

Starting off with an IM injection of steriods will increase the chances of pain free days. (Decadron 10 - 20mg or Solu Medrol 125 - 250mg)

Unsolved
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2004, 8:16am by unsolved1 » IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #7 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 10:08am »

The best Pred ever did for me was to give me a few days of PF time "the pred holiday". But it never broke my cycle and the HA's restarted in earnest after about 5 days max no matter how long I was on pred or the taper regime I used. I reckon they extend the cycle and I won't be using it again.

Having said that ,they may work well for some people, but not for me.

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 10:50am »

on Sep 13th, 2004, 8:14am, unsolved1 wrote:
My 'normal' taper schedule looks like this:

60mg/day X 3 days
40mg/day X 3 days
20mg/day X 3 days
10mg/day X 3 days
Then discontinue

Starting off with an IM injection of steriods will increase the chances of pain free days. (Decadron 10 - 20mg or Solu Medrol 125 - 250mg)

Unsolved

Unsolved,

Thanks for the info.  One more question - How long do you have to be done with the pred taper before beginning another one.  I tried it at the beginning of this cycle, didn't help much, and am wondering if I should try it again.  It has been about 4 weeks since I finished the taper, ha's continued full force after I finished it...just over 2 weeks ago I stopped getting woken up, and this last week has been a bit better during the day.  But today I am getting hit hard like at the beginning of the cycle again.  Not sure what to do...Huh

That said, for the past week the Neuro has had me on methysergide, worked up to 6 mg/day (2mg x 3 times).  I don't really like the way it makes me feel.  Probably can't take the pred with the methysergide.  I don't know.  I am tired of the docs throwing meds at me and not telling me how to use them.  I ask questions, but it seems I always forget to ask something.  And I just get confused when I have all these pills laying around and don't know when to use them.

Anyway, I digress.  Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 11:50am »

Taken it about 1/2 dozen times only worked once. I had many complications from zoids, including thrush, rapid weight gain, infections.

I'll never take it again.

John
IP Logged
eddie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

PFDAN TO ALL

« Reply #10 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 12:47pm »

i have taken it off and on for about 17 yrs
if you go to your local wallmart or look up [ pill book]
what it is used for and adverse reactions  
you might not take it again. but dont let me
discourage anybody. yes its bad for you
i have taken it 3 times this summer i have  
enough of this stuff. it didnt break mine
sometimes you have to do what works  
for you. but know what you are taking
read all you can about the meds you take.
PFDAN TO ALL Eddie
IP Logged

PFDAN TO ALL>><< http://www.putfile.com/ededearl>>><music> http://www.myspace.com/pamneddie
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 10:41pm »

I agree that using steriods has it's consequences. Rapid weight gain, bloating, swelling, constipation, lowered immune system, etc ... can all be bothersome.

But sometimes, all that is better than having constant / severe CH attacks. Sometimes, we all need a break.

A 4 week wait in between tapers is plenty of time. You could safely start another taper with your docs advice. I've done many back to back tapers. Just remember that the more you do, the more likely you will get pain relief and side effects.

Prednisone can be used with methysergide...no contradictions there.

Unsolved
IP Logged
kissmyglass
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Don't Mix Triptans

Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 11:42pm »

Yankees suck???   Just for that I won't tell you you can get welding oxygen cheaply.... Tongue

Kev
IP Logged

"It does so fucking look like her" - Picasso
[img][/img]
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 4:46am »

Thaks for the advice on the pred, I appreciate your help.  

As for the Yanks, they did lose again last night...to Kansas City.  Looking forward to the series in Boston!

Lana,
How is it coming along?  I hope you are getting some relief by now.  Let us know how its going.

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #14 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 12:28pm »

Hi!

It seemed to work for me for a very brief time.  Then nothing.  Hope some PF days are heaqding your way seen.

Good Vibes,

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 1:18pm »

Had 150 mg prednisone iv for 5 days all it did was wire me up so I couldn't sleep and along with that I put on 10 pounds.No more steriods for me.David Huh
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
lana_banana
New Board Newbie
USA 

Da Bears!

« Reply #16 on: Sep 18th, 2004, 3:33pm »

Well I've only had 2 HAs this week so that is good news. My doc has me on 70 migs/5 days, 60 migs/5 days, 50 migs/days.... you get the picture. But he doesn't have me taking anything else. I used to get the steroid shots when I was younger but they stopped working. Not even sure what they were exactly. That was when I went to the Diamond Headache Clinic in Chicago.

I guess I will just have to wait out this cycle andsee what happens. Someone mentioned something about where to get welder's 02 cheap. Can you share that info with me. Not having insurance right now sucks and 02 sure would help me out- it always does. Thanks guys for you thoughts!!

Lana
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss