Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 5:30pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « The beast switching sides? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   The beast switching sides?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The beast switching sides?  (Read 272 times)
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

The beast switching sides?
« on: Sep 14th, 2004, 5:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

After 23 years of suffering clusters on the left side only, chronics since 1997, today I am having a cluster on the right side.  First time ever this has happened to me.

This occurred 24 hours after receiving an IV of Keppra to abort a stubborn cluster on the normal left side.

There are thunderstorms above, which is a BIG trigger for me, and I'm pf on my left side?  but the right side is ramping quickly.  I'm at a kip 5 and see no end in sight.

Anyone else ever have them switch sides?  If so, is the not usual side less painful, less often, a one time fluke or what?

Clueless with clusters on both sides,
Renee
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

Re: The beast switching sides?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 5:45pm »

I have been episodic for almost 4 years now.  Only once, maybe twice (can't remember) did they hit me on the left.  Other times it is always the right.  The beast is a strange one, just when you thought you had him figured out...

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
PerryGR
New Board Veteran
Greece 

pekam_gr  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 5:58pm »

Hello Renee,

I trust it's different for everyone but here's how it went in my case. For the first year and a half of being chronic my attacks were only on my left side. Then i started getting hit on the other side as well. In the beggining hits on my "atypical" side were less frequent and painfull. That changed through the course of time and i've reached a point where the frequency and intensity was the same on both sides. This past month (ever since i started taking 360mg of verapamil) i've been getting hit mostly on the "atypical" (not really anymore) side with only a handfull of breakthroughs on my "typical" side.  

Hope this helps.

PFDAN to all,
Perry.
IP Logged

Haven't posted in a while so let me re-introduce myself... Male, 25y.o., CCH sufferer for a little bit more than 5 years. Verapamil and Lithium seem to work well at the moment.
Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wait 5 days, but I'm angry now...

Paintba11z

« Reply #3 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 6:26pm »

Am episodic, but mine will flip sides almost every time.  Mostly they are on the right side, if I had to guess but they go to the left almost 40% of the time.  Just lucky, I guess.
IP Logged

"America, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind. America, America."-Bart Simpson
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 6:43pm »

thanks guys.

Just yesterday they were on my left and today I have this one on my right.   Huh

I just spoke to my neuro and he said switching sides is not abnormal so I guess I've been lucky the past 23 years.  I just hope I NEVER get hit on both sides at once.  

Renee
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.

Jonny

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 7:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Your CH thinks its John Kerry......LMAO Grin

Like you, after 23 years mine went from right to left for awhile and then back. I like to think of it as giving one side of the head a break  Wink

...................................jonny
IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #6 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 7:26pm »

Mine switch up all the time.
IP Logged
StanTheMan
New Board Veteran
USA 

"I can do all things through Christ..."

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 8:59pm »

It has never switched sides for me (I'm a lefty in more ways than one!), but as the saying goes...

"The only predictable thing about clusterheadaches is their unpredictability"!  Roll Eyes

StanTheMan

Don'tcha just LOVE surprises?!?! Wink
IP Logged

"All the days of the afflicted are bad, but the cheerful heart has a continual feast." - - - - - Proverbs 15:15
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 10:28pm »

Jonny,

I do see something positive about all this after your post.  It is just giving the left side a MUCH needed rest.  I like that thought.  Wink

Has anyone ever been hit on both sides at once?  Huh

I don't know if any amount of meds could not that one down!

Stan...I hate surprises by the way, unless of course it is a gift as in a present as in something I have asked for!  Grin

At least we got some rain,
Renee
IP Logged

clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 15th, 2004, 4:45am »

on Sep 14th, 2004, 7:07pm, Jonny wrote:
Your CH thinks its John Kerry......LMAO Grin

crackup
That made my day...

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
rubberplant
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

"Why me, why me, why me!?!?"

rubber.plant@mac.com
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 15th, 2004, 6:07am »

on Sep 14th, 2004, 5:45pm, clarence wrote:
I have been episodic for almost 4 years now.  Only once, maybe twice (can't remember) did they hit me on the left.  Other times it is always the right.  The beast is a strange one, just when you thought you had him figured out...

Totally, only the once have I switched to the right. Don't know if it was more painful but it was like everybody ran to the other side of the boat. My balance was out and Mentally I felt disorientated from the sudden switch.

James

(Yippee just managed my first quote!!!)
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2004, 6:07am by rubberplant » IP Logged

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
http://www.james-gardner.co.uk
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 15th, 2004, 8:10am »

Congrats James on your first post.  I have found it is easiest to highlight all and then hit the command rather than try and copy and paste quote between commands...make sense?

IP Logged

ExplodingEyeBall
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I can't think of anything clever to put here.

« Reply #12 on: Sep 15th, 2004, 8:49am »

I've been episodic for as long as I can remember.

I also remember CH on only the right side.

When I started trying abortives this year for the first time. It seemed to end the cycle.  

A week later....Wham!!!!!! Left side.

Maybe the change in body chemistry or something freaked it out and it went running for safer ground or something.

CH on the left side is way different. Not as powerful K6 at most. Right side K8-10 always except for the shadows.

Left side hits are daytime and early evening. Right side hits are middle of the night wake up beating your head against the wall.

I'm still waiting to see if the right side ones come back in mid fall and start waking me up like usual.

I hop not. Maybe I got to trade the right side ones for the left side ones and got less powerful HAs in the trade off.

Wishful thinking...

Pat
IP Logged

Just poke out my eye and get it over with!!!
PerryGR
New Board Veteran
Greece 

pekam_gr  
Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 15th, 2004, 9:18am »

on Sep 14th, 2004, 10:28pm, Renee wrote:

The IHS states that cluster headaches is strictly unilateral but i've read somewhere (don't remember where so i don't know if this is valid information) that bilateral cluster attacks are extremelly unusual but not unheard of. I've also read that bilateral attacks are more common in migraines.

This will probably cause more questions to rise but here we go... In the last 12 months i've had about a dozen of attacks where the pain was on both sides. The pain felt like my usual headaches(only it was on both sides), their duration was the same and all the symptoms were there on both sides. I don't know if it's clusters or some other kind of headache coupled with clusters. My doctor said it doesn't affect my diagnosis or the medication i should take. Any input on this one will be greatly appreciated.

PFDAN to all,
Perry.
IP Logged

Haven't posted in a while so let me re-introduce myself... Male, 25y.o., CCH sufferer for a little bit more than 5 years. Verapamil and Lithium seem to work well at the moment.
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #14 on: Sep 15th, 2004, 9:38am »

on Sep 14th, 2004, 10:28pm, Renee wrote:

I don't know if any amount of meds could not that one down!

Yes, I have. And you're right...........went to the ER.... and even that didn't knock it out well. That was my first CH dx.  
I remember after the first dose of whatever  IV yummies they gave me the doc asked, "so from one to ten...how's the pain now?"
I replied "an eight...close to a nine."    
 "What! That's it?!" said the doc    
 "sorry." I said.  
And was given another IV something.

Thankfully, it doesn't happen very often. And now I'm better prepared to battle at home and to advocate swiftly in the ER. Due in large part to this place Smiley

-L

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss