Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 5:31pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Root Beer...trigger??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Root Beer...trigger???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Root Beer...trigger???  (Read 396 times)
Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wait 5 days, but I'm angry now...

Paintba11z

Root Beer...trigger???
« on: Sep 16th, 2004, 12:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Had a Sprecter Root Beer last night, yes Root Beer.  Got hit this morning pretty bad.  Any ideas?  Are the ingredients in root beer on any trigger lists?  They aren't on the ones I have.  Was wondering if it is just a coinkydink or if someone else every experienced this.
IP Logged

"America, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind. America, America."-Bart Simpson
ArCane
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Onward through the fog

Email

Re: Root Beer...trigger???
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16th, 2004, 12:12pm »

I have no clue.  I dont drink Root Beer very much so Ive never had an experience like yours.  Ill make sure to stay away from it now, though.  Just in case.
IP Logged

Alchemy’s First Law of Equivalent Exchange: To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
floridian

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16th, 2004, 12:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Dunno about being a trigger, but if I eat too many wintergreen mints, my wiring starts misfiring.  A key flavoring in both wintergreen and many root beers is methyl salycilate (MS).    

MS is one of the more toxic salicylates. It is more potent an analgesic than aspirin, but too much (or if you are intolerant) and it can cause problems - most are related to the nervous system.  Some people say MS is a migraine trigger, not sure about clusters.
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Sep 16th, 2004, 3:03pm »

Root Beer as a trigger? Dang, that would be a bummer.
I've never heard of anyone saying that before but hey, we're all different.
My Root Beer days go way back to Hires Root Beer in the 1950's and the A & W when they were drive ins in the '60s. I still get the A & W. Makes a hellava float.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Paintba11z

« Reply #4 on: Sep 16th, 2004, 3:23pm »

Yeah, no kidding, it is the only beer I can handle during cycles, if this is going to be the case, I'm screwed!
IP Logged

"America, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind. America, America."-Bart Simpson
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 17th, 2004, 1:11am »

BobG,

Bet ya didn't know that root beer and drive inns were invented in Vegas !!   LMAO    Shocked

Damn, we're from the same generation!!!

Princess Drive Inn on Friday nights......'57 Chevy w/ glass paks.....drivin thru the quiet neighborhoods, rackin those pipes......Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, Richey Valens, the Platters......and the Big Bopper!!

Those were the daze !!!!!

Jean

IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
ArCane
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Onward through the fog

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 17th, 2004, 1:06pm »

on Sep 16th, 2004, 12:57pm, floridian wrote:
Dunno about being a trigger, but if I eat too many wintergreen mints, my wiring starts misfiring.  A key flavoring in both wintergreen and many root beers is methyl salycilate (MS).    

MS is one of the more toxic salicylates. It is more potent an analgesic than aspirin, but too much (or if you are intolerant) and it can cause problems - most are related to the nervous system.  Some people say MS is a migraine trigger, not sure about clusters.  

I ate some peppermint ice cream one time and got a CH like I had drunk some alcohol.  I dont know if it was from the peppermint or just that particular brand of ice cream, but needless to say I dont eat pepperment ice cream anymore.
IP Logged

Alchemy’s First Law of Equivalent Exchange: To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Sep 17th, 2004, 4:11pm »

on Sep 17th, 2004, 1:11am, TxBasslady wrote:
BobG,

Bet ya didn't know that root beer and drive inns were invented in Vegas !!   LMAO         Shocked

Damn, we're from the same generation!!!

Princess Drive Inn on Friday nights......'57 Chevy w/ glass paks.....drivin thru the quiet neighborhoods, rackin those pipes......Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, Richey Valens, the Platters......and the Big Bopper!!

Those were the daze !!!!!

Jean

Drive ins and Root Beer invented in Vegas............I thought everybody knew that so I didn't mention it.
Fats Domino, Elvis, Jan and Dean, The Ventures, cruisin' the Las Vegas Strip and sneaking into the pool at the Tropicana Hotel.

Did you know glass packs were invented in Vegas?
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
bean
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 21st, 2004, 6:25pm »

Ever since I've known about triggers, colored cola has been on the list. Caffiene, caramel coloring, or both. Mountain Dew gave me a trigger once, so caffiene is definately on my list. And caramel coloring just to be safe.

Do you drink Coke, Pepsi, etc, and not notice the same?
IP Logged
Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Paintba11z

« Reply #9 on: Sep 22nd, 2004, 9:00am »

I do the Dew...all flavors.  No trigger.  Was wondering if it was, indeed the malt.  But I also slug down 2 AMPs when I start to get one and if I catch it at the right time, it takes care of it.  But AMP has Maltdextrose (or however it is spelled).  Who knows...just staying away from root beer for a while.

T
IP Logged

EmpressJMB
New Board Veteran
USA 

No Brain, No Headache

« Reply #10 on: Sep 22nd, 2004, 9:56am »

Hmmmm.  I find that MS thing interesting since I eat wintergreen altoids like...candy!  There's just one more thing I have to give up. Sad  Also, can you guys tell me; I'm new to message boards and I can't figure out how to put the quotes up.  I found insert quote but can't figure out how to get it here.
IP Logged

...sometimes at night I think I understand. Brother to brother, man to man, face to face, hand to hand, the shadow dance that never ends. Shadow boxing the silent war within...yet again. Weir/Barlow
bean
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 27th, 2004, 1:23pm »

on Sep 22nd, 2004, 9:56am, EmpressJMB wrote:
Hmmmm.  I find that MS thing interesting since I eat wintergreen altoids like...candy!  There's just one more thing I have to give up. Sad  Also, can you guys tell me; I'm new to message boards and I can't figure out how to put the quotes up.  I found insert quote but can't figure out how to get it here.

Hit the quote button on the persons post you want to quote, put the cursor after the [/quote] and post your message. you can also edit the quoted part for length, specific lines you want to quote, etc. I'm still not a pro on multiple quotes, I think it follows the same formula...
IP Logged
21yrs
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Sep 28th, 2004, 11:58pm »

i do a root beer float about 4 nights a week
no problems. i use mug RB and
breyers vanilla. no other way.
but tonight im having schwans
blackberry crisp and breyers.
taste great and is filling.
i do the spearmint altoids
no problems with that either.
IP Logged
vangogh71

Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 29th, 2004, 11:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I usually drink Root Beer (A&W, specifically Diet) as a way to wash the taste of imitrex out of my mouth after a dose.  It does not seem to trigger another cluster, but maybe I should stop drinking it for a bit to see if that would help.

I'll try anything right now!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss