Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 16th, 2024, 10:49am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Sleep Apnea--new report »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Sleep Apnea--new report
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sleep Apnea--new report  (Read 277 times)
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Sleep Apnea--new report
« on: Sep 16th, 2004, 4:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Headache. 2004 Jun;44(6):607-10.  

Obstructive sleep apnea and cluster headache.

Graff-Radford SB, Newman A.

The Pain Center, Cedars Sinai Medical Center and UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA.

A patient with cluster headache often wakes from sleep. The relationship to sleep apnea has been described. This study sought to confirm the relationship cluster may have with sleep apnea. METHODS: Thirty-nine consecutive patients diagnosed with episodic cluster headache according to the International Headache Society (IHS) criteria were sent for polysomnographic studies. All patients were in an active phase when they were in the study. Patients were told of the proposed relationship and were allowed to choose a sleep laboratory close to their home. RESULTS: Thirty-one patients with episodic cluster headache completed an overnight polysomnographic study. Twenty-three were male and eight female. The average age was 51 years (range 33 to 78 years). The average weight was 173 pounds (range 117 to 260 pounds). A total of 80.64% had sleep apnea (25/31). Average respiratory depression index (RDI) was 19.0 (SD 14.6) with 6 patients having no apnea, 10 having mild, 11 having moderate, and 4 having severe apnea (RDI < 5 = none; RDI 5 to 20 mild; RDI 20 to 40 moderate; RDI > 40 severe). Oxygen saturation decreased on average to 88.4% SD 4.5. Sleep efficiency was 76.2% (SD 13.4). CONCLUSIONS: The data closely approximate those of Chervin et al, where 80% had RDI > 5. The relationship sleep apnea has in the perpetuation or precipitation of cluster headache is still to be determined. There are some reports that treatment stops the cluster but there is no prospective study. The high incidence (80.64%) seen in this population suggests the cluster patient should receive a sleep evaluation and perhaps intervention with continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) or an appropriate dental device.

PMID: 15186306 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wait 5 days, but I'm angry now...

Paintba11z

Re: Sleep Apnea--new report
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16th, 2004, 4:59pm »

I've got a CPAP and still get my CH's.  Just takes a few extra seconds to get the gear off and get to the meds when they hit at night.  Someone posted on here about the sleep apnea being a hypothalamus thing rather than a mechanical thing, which most sleep apena patients have.  Don't know how they test for it, but someone on here must know.
IP Logged

"America, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind. America, America."-Bart Simpson
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16th, 2004, 6:15pm »

Interesting...
It does seem an innordinately high percentage of us have sleep apnea.

I have an unusual form of it that causes me to hold my breath in my sleep then expel the air in "poofs". It drives my wife crazy! laugh
IP Logged

Chris
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17th, 2004, 7:33am »

My wife has sleep apnea and no CH
I have CH and no sleep apnea.
go figure!
IP Logged
KanKan
New Board Newbie
USA 

sabres78   RidiKUB

« Reply #4 on: Sep 18th, 2004, 1:36am »

i dont have sleep apnea as far as i know, but i snore lika mofo during cycle
IP Logged

Pain
People Think they know Pain
They know so little.
How can you explain Pain.
Its an Emptyness, A Hatred and Loss.
Its InDescribable.
buckeyescooter
New Board Veteran
USA 

Screw Fear!

« Reply #5 on: Sep 19th, 2004, 12:47am »

I was one of those 39......Allan Newman is my neuro.....I was fitted for a device because I have mild to moderate sleep apnea. I'm ashamed to say I never went back to have the final fitting once the mold was ready. I'm not really sure it would've helped though.
IP Logged

Clusterheads are a rare breed.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss