Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 4:19pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex or not to Imitrex »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex or not to Imitrex
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex or not to Imitrex  (Read 284 times)
EmpressJMB
New Board Veteran
USA 

No Brain, No Headache

Imitrex or not to Imitrex
« on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 6:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Woke up at 6 am with aa pounding headache.  It feels like mybrain is too big for my head. Not complete CH pain. No ice pick in the right  eye paiiin but my face hurts as does the top of my head and neck. got ice, breathing steam. Have imitrex but never used it and not sure if i should. anyone up? help. J
IP Logged

...sometimes at night I think I understand. Brother to brother, man to man, face to face, hand to hand, the shadow dance that never ends. Shadow boxing the silent war within...yet again. Weir/Barlow
EmpressJMB
New Board Veteran
USA 

No Brain, No Headache

Re: Imitrex or not to Imitrex
« Reply #1 on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 7:04am »

oh well. pain is subsiding now. thanks anyway Huh
IP Logged

...sometimes at night I think I understand. Brother to brother, man to man, face to face, hand to hand, the shadow dance that never ends. Shadow boxing the silent war within...yet again. Weir/Barlow
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 9:57am »

Hello dear,

I still go through that and have been using the good old jabber for a few month.  IT's hard to make  the distinction sometimes between something that will ramp up to a killer or a lower/mid. CH that will stay and or go away.  Sometimes they go up sometimes they don't. Atleast fo me there has never been a pattern.
These days I tend to just go for it a lot more than I used to figuring "why suffer" (don't ya hate the word suffer)  
I do not hesitate to grab the "tank" whatsoever so if ya have one do so.
It all depends on your body, my friend. We're all different.  
I'm glad it went away. I hope it stays away.  
The reality is...........  
Be prepared regardless. It's your pain. Own it!! Wink

Best,

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
don

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Why would you not use it ?
IP Logged
EmpressJMB
New Board Veteran
USA 

No Brain, No Headache

« Reply #4 on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:25pm »

I got a few more hours of sleep and feel better now.  Still a little pain there though.  The reason I asked was 1. I didn't ALL have all my usual CH symptoms so I wasn't sure if it was some other HA.  Does it work on other HA's?
2. I have never used Imitrex on my own before.  They gave to me once in the ER and I felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest.  I wouldn't hesitate to use it for K8-10 or so but I've been dealing with these for 27 years and my pain threshold is pretty high.
I'm not a glutton for pain either, I just want to be careful.
I used 02 years ago but it didn't work.  I found out from this site I needed a rebreather mask.  I see the neuro on the 14th and will get a new script for it.  My other concern with 02 is that there are smokers in the house.

Janet
IP Logged

unsolved1

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 1:29pm »

FOr times when my HA's are not full-blown attacks and it feels like it's going to stay with me for awhile ... I ust smaller doses of Imitrex injections. Save the bigger doses for the bigger, stronger headaches.

I use between 2 - 4 mg. (Most of the time it's 4mg)

Unsolved
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 8:11pm »

Hi Empress,

For the most part, I wouldn't worry too much about the smokers - just keep them away from the room you're in.  As long as you don't light a cigarette ... that's in your mouth ... while lifting the rebreather mask from your face ... chances are a fire or explosion won't happen.

With regard to the Trex - at the beginning or near the end of a cycle, I usually wait awhile to see how high on the scale the HA is going to go.  In the middle of a cycle, I just reach for it fast!  

The fact is, it works great for me (and for many).  I find total relief in under 5 minutes.  But in many ways, I understand your reluctance.  If I reach a kip 5 and then the HA starts to lessen, in many ways the "treatment is worse than the disease" when I take Trex.  My hair feels like it's on fire and my body feels "tight."

At the height of my cycle, I love the feeling of my hair on fire cause I know my HA will be gone in a couple minutes.  

Regardless, I think it's good to have someone around the first time you use it on your own.  If nothing else, for your own peace of mind.  Meantime, try the O2 with a rebreather mask (just don't light a cigarette at the same time).  

Or - if a little telephone support would help the first time you try the Imitrex, PM me for my phone number.  I remember how scared I was the first time.

Hugs,

Kris

IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 8:39pm »

Empress,

I usually wait as the CH starts to ramp to say a Kip 5-6 range. Sometimes if I take it too early it doesn't work and I can't wait too long either. It's all in the timing. You'll get used to it. Read the Imitrex tip to the left of this page. 1/2 shot works just as good as a whole shot with less side effects.

Just remember to shut off the gas when done with your 02.

PF vibes to you.
IP Logged
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 4th, 2004, 7:59am »

Have ya tried preventatives yet? It took me 28 years to get smart enough to try and prevent them as opposed to aborting them.  
Prednisone and Verapamil did that trick for me. I've now been pain free for 13 months.
Imitrex is definitly hard on the heart. I personally hate using Trex because it gives me Rebound CH's, but i hate the CH worse so I usually break down and use it. Kind of like being netween a Rock and a Hard place.

Patrick
IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
EmpressJMB
New Board Veteran
USA 

No Brain, No Headache

« Reply #9 on: Oct 4th, 2004, 8:17am »

Thanks for the tips folks!  And Patrick, yes, I finished the course of prednisone 2 weeks ago, I do take verapamil which my md just upped as shadows were increasingly getting worse.  Smiley J.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss