Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 6:07am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « The switch in my head »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   The switch in my head
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The switch in my head  (Read 261 times)
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

The switch in my head
« on: Dec 7th, 2005, 10:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This article was published in the December edition of the NEW IDEA an Australian magazine.
I had to re-type it as I couldn’t find a way to scan & post, I thought I should share it with you.

(QUOTE)
A remote-controlled brain implant gives Lynette Thompson relief from crippling headaches

Today 53 year old grandmother Lynette Thompson only has to press a button on a remote control to ease the unbearable pain in her scull.
Lynette is one of the 2 million Australians who suffer chronic headaches, which can feel like a jackhammer and cause a throbbing pain, not to mention depression and irritability.
‘A few months ago I was almost suicidal; Lynette recalls. ‘I was laid up in bed and said to my husband: “I love you all, but I’m just so tired. I just can’t keep going the way I am.”
‘I’d been getting headaches since I was three and was on tablets since I was a little girl. When I turned 30, I had a hysterectomy and a few other things hit me all at once, and the headaches got worse.’

Lynette’s GP finally sent her to a neurologist who changed her medication.
Then I started getting what he described as “cluster headaches” because I’d have five or six in one day.
He’d send me straight to hospital, to intensive care. This is because the drugs had to be monitored. They were so strong they could have affected my heart.’
Then as a last resort, Lynette’s neurologist sent her to the Pain Management Centre at Nepean Hospital in Penrith, where she met Dr Raj Sandaraj.
Under a general anaesthetic, the Occipital Nerve Stimulator device, which sends out electrical impulses to control pain, was implanted in the base of Lynette’s scull. ‘I had a trial one put in for about five days,’ she says. Dr  Sandaraj said if I got more than
70 % relief I could have one put in permanently. As it turns out I got 85 %.’
Lynette’s headaches were originally diagnosed as being due to hereditary and stress factors, however, 15 years working as a stock controller also contributed. Moving her head up & down as she looked at the shelves caused severe damage to her neck.
My remote control starts at 0.1 & goes to 5. I’ve had it on full a couple of times. That’s when I have to put my hands to my head as it kind of vibrates at that level. But mostly it’s on about 3.5. I can relax knowing it works.’
The Occipital Nerve Stimulator has changed Lynette’s life. It is absolutely brilliant,’ she says. My kids tell everyone they’ve got their mother back – and it’s nice to be back.’

What is it?
The Occipital Nerve Stimulator (ONS) is a surgically implanted device that literally switches off the pain via remote control. The device sends out electrical impulses that dampen down the two very sensitive nerves at the base of the scull. The nerve can be damaged due to whiplash injury, years of poor posture, viral infections around the nerves and arthritis. For years I have used a similar device for the treatment of other forms of chronic pain in arms & legs caused by spinal injuries Dr  Sandaraj says. The ONS runs on a battery – the same kind as the one used in pacemakers – and is implanted under the skin, about waist height on the patient body, Dr  Sandaraj explains. However, the ONS will only work on headaches caused by nerve damage to the neck & spine. For headaches triggered by hormones, exercise, stress or certain foods, reducing the triggers or taking recommended medication is still the only relief.

How does it work?
The patient operates the ONS with an external hand held device that’s not much bigger than a mobile phone. The information is locked in, so there is no chance a patient can tamper with it, it is very safe.

How much is it
Including the trial implant Lynette paid Aus $ 2900 of which Medicare returned $47 and her health fund just $23. However, because she had private top health cover fund, her hospital & theatre fees, which ran into many thousands, were covered.  
( UNQUOTE)

Kind Regards
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: The switch in my head
« Reply #1 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 10:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Brings new meaning to the age old question.

Honey...

Where's my remote?

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
unsolved1

Email

Re: The switch in my head
« Reply #2 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 10:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yes, I had an ONS. No, it didn't help. It was a pain and brought NO relief. Glad it works for some.

UNsolved
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss