Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 7:38am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « to journal or not to journal »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   to journal or not to journal
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: to journal or not to journal  (Read 372 times)
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

to journal or not to journal
« on: Mar 25th, 2005, 6:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It seems to me most doctors don't care about  
a headache journal.

when it doens't have a clear pattern,
when it doens't point to any clear triggers....

No one wants to see it, or even read it.

Why am I bothering?

Although,
looking back, I do tend to minimize the pain levels
unless I am tracking them as they happen,
I seem to have a really bad recall.

Maybe still in denial???

How about you guys?

Doyou notice if your journal is more accurate
than your memories?

IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: to journal or not to journal
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 7:40pm »

I don't journal anymore but I did when my ha first started.  It helped me determine that every time it rained or snowed I had a most intense ha.  It helped me determine that my ch ocured at the same time every day and night and that I had no triggers other than barometric pressure.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 7:53pm »

My neuro asked me to keep one.  I was very faithful about keeping it up to date.  At the time I was banging my head about 8 times a day.  Seemed all I ever did was have attacks or write about them.  When I went back to the neuro, he never asked for it.  I wanted to beat him with it.  Since then, I don't bother.  Being chronic, it just doesn't really seem to matter anyways.  I'm going to get hit about 5 times a day whether I write about it or not.  Maybe I should start again and write a book.

IP Logged
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 7:56pm »

laugh

makes you feel pretty sane,

doens't it?

figures, the one time I listen to my doctor,
he don't wanna read the results....   Wink

hahhahahaahahaha

at least we still have our sense of humor
twisted though it may be....

IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
gore2424
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Camero's "RULE"

52473361 52473361   gore2424   gore2424
Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 8:15pm »

when I became chronic in Nov 1999 my shrink had me purchase a book called "Managing Pain Before It Manages You " nothing in book (relax,massage,etc )helped me at all but it had a pages of (1) pain chart,(1) food diary, (1) daily thoughts, (1) daily activities, and I made hundreds of copies for almost 8 months I wrote in it every day then now about 2-3 times a week it has helped me know what not to eat, avoid certain smells like perfume paint, relax when upset so i guess i am saying I have keept this and shared it with all the neuro Drs and the Doctors in Mayo clinic that operated on my brain even have taken it to many trips to ER so in closing i would say YES it is my thoughts close to when they happened and dont have to rely on the few brain cells i have left inside my head Terry  
IP Logged

what the hamsalad was that ¿?¿
I said your hair looks nice Ü
don

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26th, 2005, 12:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Keeping a journal cant hurt. At the very least you can read it over and gain some more clarity that you can verbally communicate to your Doc.

Make a copy and ask your Doc to keep it in your file.
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2005, 12:18pm by don » IP Logged
ben_uk
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

100%O2

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 7:16am »

Article in NewScientist 11 sept 2004
Page 15
Depressing news for diarists.
 "DEAR diary. Worrying news today. I read in a magazine that people who keep diaries are more likely to suffer from headaches, sleeplessness, digestive problems and even social dysfunction..."
 That is the conclusion of a study by UK reseachers Elaine Duncan of the Glasgow Caledonian University and David Sheffield of Staffordshire University. They compared 94 undergraduates who were regular diarists with 41 non-diarists.
The volunteers filled in standard questionaires about their health.
 "We expected diary-keepers to have some benefit, or be the same, but they were the worst off," says Duncan, who presented the findings to a British Psychological Society meeting in Edinburgh this week.
"You are probably much better off if you don't write anything at all."
 Because the study looked at existing diarists, it is not clear wether keeping a diary makes people less healthy or if less healthy people are more likely to keep a diary. But the findings are surprising because other studies suggest that people find it easier to recover from a traumatic event if they write about it.
 One possibility, Duncan says, is that keeping a diary makes people dwell on their misfortunes. "It's probably better not to get caught in a ruminative, repetitive cycle," she says. She hopes to do futher studies to see if writing about positive or negative things, makes a difference.
 ShockedBen
IP Logged

www.clustermasx.com

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss