Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 2nd, 2024, 4:56am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Painkillers? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Painkillers?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Painkillers?  (Read 427 times)
Limey
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Painkillers?
« on: Jul 11th, 2005, 4:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Doc tried me on Tramadol a few years ago and although they had side effects (dizziness etc) they punched away the CH for a few hours. Just begun a new cycle though and found that the Tramadol left me very ill for a couple of days so the Doc switched me to Diclomax which is useless (doesnt even touch the CH). Anyone have any recomendations for painkillers for CH's?
IP Logged
Limey
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Re: Painkillers?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 4:31am »

Don't know why "I love YaBB 1G - SP1" appears under my name. What's that all about????????
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 12:25pm »

There is broad medical agreement pain meds are NOT effective for clusters and are not, generally,used unless all other abortives have failed.

Unless there are other medical considerations which you have not mentioned, I'd suggest that a physician who uses pain meds as a first-line treatment is not very tuned in to the treatment of headache.

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
StressFree
New Board Veteran
USA 

James4:8 I'm a moral failure, but there is hope...

« Reply #3 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 12:27pm »

Good Day,
For me the usual Codeine or Vicoden quit working within a few days or a week when taken regularly. Very disappointing when KIP 10 attacks break through good pain meds. I've had luck with Stadol Nasal Spray, though at first you get very dizzy and sick feeling. I try to take it only every couple of days or so. It offsets the Maxalt or Caffergot (ergotamine). Take only as directed -strong stuff!  

I saw your next post and thought I'd mention there are others noting clusters potentially set off after a bad cold. I think this had something to do with my recent bout starting up. See the "Sharing Potential Causes" message from a few weeks ago. I've had cycles change radically depending on meds taken, but never gone chronic after bocoming episodic (was chronic as a teen). Best of luck to you, and prayers as well - Rich

I need to modify - It is the "Switching Sides" posting which is fairly recent that has some mention of bad colds...
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2005, 12:32pm by StressFree » IP Logged
wip5150
New Board Junior
USA 

I have tired head

wip5150
Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 12:31pm »

Last night about 8:45 I started getting a quality shadow and since I had taken three Trex nasals (20mg) in the previous 19 hours, I tried to go it alone.  It quickly escalated to about a K9 or 10 and I grabbed my bottle of leftover Vicodin (leftover from a vasectomy  Wink) and took two, hoping it would kill the motherf***er.  All it did was make me feel even more groggy than normal and more than a little stoned.  Meanwhile, my head was KILLING me.

So, in short, painkillers - not effective for me.
IP Logged

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight? I have, and man it hurts
StressFree
New Board Veteran
USA 

James4:8 I'm a moral failure, but there is hope...

« Reply #5 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 12:42pm »

Oops - I'm a dolt! It was wip5150 who wrote about colds as a cluster cycle trigger. Sorry guys. I guess the pertinent partys saw the note anyway. Best of luck to all.  

Also,   I think the odd "I love YaBB" note thing pertains to the software used to make up this web site. If you go into your member preferences you can change that.
IP Logged
hdbngr
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 1:39pm »

Bob:

It's like every other medicine on the market, pain meds have their time and place in treatment. If abused, they can cause more harm than good.

While it would always be prudent to try the abortive, and preventative meds as a first course of treatment, there are some folks that they just don't work for. Those folks who are chronic, and I'm talking daily hits of more than a year with no remission, could possbily benefit from these meds. It is irresponsible to suggest that pain treatment is not part of effective CH treatment.

Some pain meds that chronics have utilized successfully:

Stadol NS (not for long term use)

Duragesic patch (can be used long term and effective for around the clock hits)

Palladone (another name for Dilauded)

Yes, these are last resorts, but no, they should not be discounted as ineffective.

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2005, 1:40pm by hdbngr » IP Logged

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 2:08pm »

From experience - pain killers are useless.  You would need to be on em' almost 24X7 to address attacks well before they start.  

The only chances you have of making Pain Killers effective is to  

become an addict  
be able to predict CH attacks so well that your Pain Killers are peaking at just the right times.    

Don't wast the time, money or brain cells.

Tom  
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 2:40pm »

Nice GPZ 900r too!

Bikers always welcome here.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 3:00pm »

Look at it this way.  Even if your cycle is only 3 months out of a year...that is a LOT of narcotics!!!!!!!!!!!
By the time your cycle is over you'd be stuck with an addiction, and have a much bigger problem than CH.  Oh yes...and they do not work and have a nasty tendancy to give rebound cluster headaches  anyway.

Save the Vicodin, et al,  for use after surgery and   something that you will only use for a FEW DAYS.

off my soap box now.   Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
kimmeesue
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 3:34pm »

Gotta put in my 2 cents worth.  As a chronic who rarely gets a hit below an 8 and a duration a 2-4 hours, and who has had no long term success with triptans, O2, , etc. painkillers do have their place.  Not oral.  I have to go to the ER for injections.  I lose a lot of time, usually sleep about 36 hours, but it beats the alternative.  I don't enjoy living this way and put off the trips to the ER as often as I can but all of my doctors are in agreement on this course of action.
So, if you find something that wrks for you, go for it.  We are not all the same.
IP Logged

If I wasn't doing this I'd probably be doing something else.
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 4:22pm »

on Jul 11th, 2005, 3:34pm, kimmeesue wrote:

I have to go to the ER for injections.  I lose a lot of time, usually sleep about 36 hours, but it beats the alternative.  I don't enjoy living this way and put off the trips to the ER as often as I can but all of my doctors are in agreement on this course of action.
So, if you find something that wrks for you, go for it.  We are not all the same.

Kimmeesue - You've touched on something that I overlooked - Injections directly into the bloodstream have some merit because they work very rapidly.

However, even this method can not be used often enough because of the potential for addiction.

Tom  

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 5:36pm »

Quote:
because of the potential for addiction.  

ta-da !!!!!!!    

And if one had to go to the ER for that injection,  I cannot even imagine the COST of that for a chronic.  Shocked

Chronic for 18 yrs.

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 6:16pm »

on Jul 11th, 2005, 5:36pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

ta-da !!!!!!!    

And if one had to go to the ER for that injection,  I cannot even imagine the COST of that for a chronic.  Shocked

Chronic for 18 yrs.

Linda

Exactly

2 to 5 attacks daily Oct. through July  x  6 to 7 days per week  +  1 to 2 attacks daily Aug. and Sep.  x  5 to 6 days per week  x  10 years chronic  =  $$$  +  addiction.  

Folks with real, real short ON-Cycles may have better chances.

Tom  

IP Logged

marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 8:34pm »

Linda is right. I had back surgery in April, took vicadin for 4 days, my cycle started 2 days after I stopped taking vicadin.

I am on celebrex now for the back problem. It's not the same. I take it every night now (used to take it every morning too), and I still got hard hits in the middle of the night.

Stuff does nothing for the headache.

It's HOT here in phoenix! Tongue I want to be back in FLA!! Cool
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 9:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am currently using Stadol injections to control heavy shadows. Anything above a K5 and I have to rely on Imitrex ...  No narcotics will help  Undecided

Unsolved
IP Logged
bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 10:28pm »

When I first started to get clusters  I could take 2 lorcet plus with an imitrex and it knock me out which was great for night hits. After a year of pain meds regularly they didn't not have any really good effect. Percocet mixed with imitrex made me terribly sick. They really only worked with the shadows. Even then the pain was still there. I guess I was at least happy because I was high.  

BF
IP Logged
hdbngr
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jul 12th, 2005, 12:55pm »

This is a sore point with me. Everyone who takes narcotics is not going to become an addict. There is a big difference between dependency and addiction.  

I don't think anyone should ever say they are not effective for clusters because there are at least five chronics out here who know otherwise. What would be the harm in using pain relief for three months then going off of it when the cycle is complete?

I used the Duragesic patch for a year, one patch every three days, and when I wasn't getting round the clock hits anymore, I tapered off of it. On my own.

Kind of like childbirth. You know the baby is eventually going to show up, but you can take advantage of an epidural or you can enjoy the full extent of the experience without it.
IP Logged

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Jul 12th, 2005, 2:36pm »

Aw ya bunch of dope addicts!  Yer as bad as those acid/shroom head guys.

Opiates should not be used to treat clusters (they should be saved for the celebration when the clusters stop).
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #19 on: Jul 12th, 2005, 2:39pm »

(Since Bob P degenerated the conversation I'll add to the fray)

on Jul 12th, 2005, 12:55pm, hdbngr wrote:
This is a sore point with me.  

Maybe it needs a Duragesic patch then.... Wink
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #20 on: Jul 12th, 2005, 2:53pm »

on Jul 11th, 2005, 8:34pm, marlinsfan wrote:
It's HOT here in phoenix! Tongue I want to be back in FLA!! Cool

Don't Hurry back to soon, have you seen the weather report for Sat/Sun. Tropical Strom Emily is shaping up out there..  

Embarassed Undecided

PFDAN to ALL !!!
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #21 on: Jul 12th, 2005, 3:18pm »

ohjez

http://headaches.about.com/od/advocacyissues/a/addict_depend.htm

Issues are Addiction, Dependence, and Tolerance...

Fact of the matter is that people who use narcotics for pain management generally do not become addicts.  The incidence is something like .001%

Not saying by any means this is a great way to fight CH, but...just had to clear up that whole addiction/dependence thing.....
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss