Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 2nd, 2024, 3:04am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Cluster with Aura--more evidence »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Cluster with Aura--more evidence
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cluster with Aura--more evidence  (Read 258 times)
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Cluster with Aura--more evidence
« on: Jul 14th, 2005, 8:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2005 Aug;9(4):264-7.  

Aura with Non-migraine Headache.

Krymchantowski AV.

Outpatient Headache Unit, Instituto de Neurologia Deolindo Couto, Headache Center of Rio, Rua Siqueira, Campos 43/1002, Copacabana Rio de Janeiro, 22031.070 Brazil. abouchkrym@globo.com.

The typical aura associated with migraine is characterized by visual or sensory and speech symptoms, with a mix of positive and negative features and complete reversibility within 1 hour. However, auras are not an exclusive migraine-dependent phenomenon. There have been descriptions of aura occurring in association with cluster headache, hemicrania continua, and even with chronic paroxysmal hemicrania. In addition, the occurrence of aura without headache or followed by a headache resembling the criteria of tension-type headache is encountered in clinical practice. This paper reviews the literature about auras in non-migraine headaches and the features involving this uncommon presentation. The possibility of a specific genetic origin for the auras, not related to the primary headache type, also is raised.

PMID: 16004842 [PubMed - in process]  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

Re: Cluster with Aura--more evidence
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14th, 2005, 9:18am »

never had one.
 Grin
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 14th, 2005, 10:40pm »

Wink
okay, so about 2 hour before the onset of a level 6 or worse, I am "claustrophobic" to the point of  - if someone is standing in line behind me at the grocery store, I feel a rage so intnse I could snarl at them.  

( it also happens if I am at work and a co-worker steps too close behind or in front of me or if the world in general is moving too slowly.)

So can the "mood swing" be an "aura"

it never fails.
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
violet
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 21st, 2005, 2:38pm »

That is really interesting.  I have auras that include one sided numbness and weakness, partial or complete blindness, difficulty speaking and dizzyness.  Then sometimes they go away or I will get the icepick in the eye, but I don't always get an aura before the pain.
I find that the O2 helps both.
Vi
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #4 on: Jul 21st, 2005, 2:40pm »

on Jul 14th, 2005, 10:40pm, yikes-another-one wrote:
Wink
okay, so about 2 hour before the onset of a level 6 or worse, I am "claustrophobic" to the point of  - if someone is standing in line behind me at the grocery store, I feel a rage so intnse I could snarl at them.  

( it also happens if I am at work and a co-worker steps too close behind or in front of me or if the world in general is moving too slowly.)

So can the "mood swing" be an "aura"

it never fails.

I'm thinking that's more like Cluster with Bad Karma than Aura Wink
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #5 on: Jul 21st, 2005, 5:27pm »

Auras are weird things.  I use to have classic migraine with aura showing up about 10 minutes before the onset of the HA.  But since the onset of CH, I get occasional 20 minute auras for which I can't identify any specific triggers.  Usually no headache follows, and I have no auras associated with CH headaches.  And my migraines have all but vanished over the last 20 years. Roll Eyes Huh
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 21st, 2005, 5:34pm »

Wellll...I have basilar migraine.  That's one hell of a scary aura! haha

Now I have to wear a bracelet that connects to a medical database saying that I have migraine with stroke like symptoms.

If I hadn't been working in the ER the night of the worst one of these, and also been there with many friends also working who knew me quite well - then I would have been passed off as drunk or high.

I don't have an aura with my clusters or daily migraine.  I do sometimes have a prodrome of sorts.

The addition of Lamictal to my med regimen completely stopped the basilar attacks!  Woohoo! Smiley

Carrie Smiley
IP Logged

scarmig
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 3:39pm »

My newest session just started, but I didn't recognize it.  I've never had aura before, but this time my first HA opened up with full blown numbness from my right eye to the top of my bottom lip.  I had motor control, but no sensation.  Poke it, prick it, bite it.  No sensation.  The HA was bad for just starting a session too.  I was completely confused so I went into the see the doc.  Yup, it's my clusters.  Her explanation is that the verpamil can alter the characteristics of the HA from cluster to cluster.  I've had a couple more with aura since the first one.  So yeah, clusters with aura.
IP Logged
violet
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 1:21am »

"The addition of Lamictal to my med regimen completely stopped the basilar attacks"

Hi Carrie,
I am really interested in that, as I have really horrible auras that are like TIA's.  Any info you could share on the Lamictal and your experience with it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Vi
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss