Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 2nd, 2024, 3:42am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « sugar and more pain? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   sugar and more pain?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: sugar and more pain?  (Read 713 times)
wip5150
New Board Junior
USA 

I have tired head

wip5150
Email

sugar and more pain?
« on: Jul 21st, 2005, 9:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dumb question but I figured I'd throw it out here to see if anyone had a thought or comment.  I'm wondering if having a higher-than-normal amount of sugar will trigger a more painful headache.  Case in point:

I've been on Verapamil (360 mg per day broken up into three 120 mg doses) for about 11 days and, since then,  my headahces have really only been coming at night.  During these nighttime delights, I've taken a 20mg nasal of Trex and the headache is usually gone in about 30 minutes - very manageable.

Last night, I decided to have an IBC Black Cherry Soda about two hours before bedtime - what can I say, I like the sugary stuff!!

So, after going to bed I woke up with a headache, headed downstairs to my Fortress of Solitude and took the trex.  Here's the rub - the trex didn't do a damn thing for me (this happens about 30% of the time normally so maybe there's no correlation) and the headache was a bitch.  Probably peaked at about a Kip 9. It finally subsided enough to where I was able to drag my sorry ass to bed about 2 hours later but when I woke up this morning I noticed I still had (and have right now) K4 and 5 shadows.  

So, the question is this:  Is this possibly due in some part to my overly sweet beverage indulgence last night or just the normal "you think you're almost done with me but let me zing you another time just to remind you that I'm here" part of having this shitty "disorder"?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2005, 9:32am by wip5150 » IP Logged

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight? I have, and man it hurts
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: sugar and more pain?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 2:20am »

This is just me but I have stopped eating sugery items in the evenings because I noticed an increase in numbers and severity of attacks.

I didn't track any of this but felt it was frequent enough to start avoiding things like mints and hard candies.

Tom  

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
hdido

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 3:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm chronic and rarely use sugar or products containing it, but when I do allow myself a sugar treat it makes no difference with either the number or severity of attacks that I get.
IP Logged
Topical
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 4:41am »

I haven't noticed sugar as a trigger.

I was eating some chocolate pudding last week and a HA hit me after 4 days PF. I have become addicted to the pudding and eating it was nothing new to me. I put it down to the chococate or just being unlucky.  

Out of curiousity were there any other ingredients in the soda that may have caused it?
IP Logged
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 8:19am »

I'm not a big sweet eater/drinker, but I do like to have a piece of fudge now and then, or vanilla ice cream with hot fudge topping.  During my first three cycles, this did not seem to do anything to change my CH level of activity.  But, this last cycle, one little piece of fudge and I get hit one time and then - one little piece of fudge and nothing the next time!  So, my thoughts are that it's not just the sugar, but possibly a combination of the sugar plus something else that's going on in your body that particular day that triggers the hit . Huh
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
wip5150
New Board Junior
USA 

I have tired head

wip5150
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 9:31am »

on Jul 22nd, 2005, 4:41am, Topical wrote:

Out of curiousity were there any other ingredients in the soda that may have caused it?

Not that I'm aware of other than a crapload of sugar - it's like drinking liquid bubblegum, but I digress.  Interestingly enough, I skipped any sugar or dairy yesterday and had my first night without waking up to tussle my little friend in over five weeks.  Could be coincidence, but I'm avoiding that stuff along with my friend Al Cohol until I'm sure this cycle is over.

IP Logged

wip5150
New Board Junior
USA 

I have tired head

wip5150
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 9:32am »

on Jul 22nd, 2005, 2:20am, burnt-toast wrote:
This is just me but I have stopped eating sugery items in the evenings because I noticed an increase in numbers and severity of attacks.

I didn't track any of this but felt it was frequent enough to start avoiding things like mints and hard candies.

Tom  

Toasty,

This is sorta my theory as well.  I'm not a doctor and I don't even play one on TV but if I feel something is contributing to exacerbating my cycle, I cut it out faster than my kids run to watch Bob the Builder.
IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 9:46am »

I rarely consume sugar.  Dt. sodas, artificial sweetners for my coffee.  Rare occasions I'll eat any candy of any kind.  

Strange how the beast effects each of us differently.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
wip5150
New Board Junior
USA 

I have tired head

wip5150
Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 9:50am »

on Jul 22nd, 2005, 9:46am, Redd715 wrote:
I rarely consume sugar.  Dt. sodas, artificial sweetners for my coffee.  Rare occasions I'll eat any candy of any kind.  

Strange how the beast effects each of us differently.

It is indeed.  I have long sworn that artifical sweetners would contribute to triggering a cycle so I no longer drink Diet Dr. Pepper.  hell, I think we all get so desperate, we'll read into just about anything to find some relief.  I know I do.
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #9 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 10:03am »

on Jul 21st, 2005, 9:31am, wip5150 wrote:
I've been on Verapamil (360 mg per day broken up into three 120 mg doses) for about 11 days and, since then,  my headahces have really only been coming at night.

At 360mg, try maybe taking 240mg before bed and 120mg in the morning, being that we seem more suseptable at night, kind of a pulsing method.  If no change, see what the doc says about 480mg.  Prevention is best, especially with the trex n/s.  Thirty minute abort time can get to be pretty, um... difficult if the frequency picks up.  I'm familiar with it.
  Don't know about sugar, but some things CAN make it more difficult, CH will find any excuse to surface sometimes.  

Kevin M
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2005, 10:07am by Kevin_M » IP Logged
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 4:53pm »

I eat TONS of sugar.  All day, all night.  I have a big bowl of ice cream and wash it down with a root beer float.  Never seems to make any difference.
I am the sugar king, I consume more sugar then any 3 people you know.  As a matter of fact, i lost 20 pounds on the donut and milkshake diet 2 months ago.  Seriously, 2 or 3 donuts for breakfast, and a huge milkshake for lunch, then i skip dinner so any meds i take will be absorbed quickly and completely.
PF wishes
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

paul_pero
New Board Junior
Australia 

zdrastvuyte

« Reply #11 on: Jul 23rd, 2005, 8:36am »

Sugar is not a trigger for me. The only trigger seems to be alcohol.
Paul
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss