Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 2nd, 2024, 2:34am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Question about medication costs »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Question about medication costs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Question about medication costs  (Read 232 times)
Brian0829
New Board Newbie
USA 

Why me??

Question about medication costs
« on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 2:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,
I have been reading alot of posts lately. I just had a few questions. I have heard the term abortive used, I was wondering if that is what you guys use when a CH hits?  
I am in the middle or hopefully near the end of my cycle right now. This week alone I have already went through around $100.00 of my Imitrex nasal sprays. I was wondering how much you guys pay for your Imitrex... I know prices vary based on your insurance. I was also wondering how much I would expect to pay for O2.
Thanks,
Brian
IP Logged

Well I'm waiting on the day
When the people walk free to see
From the penitentiary in our mind
unsolved1

Email

Re: Question about medication costs
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 3:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yes, an 'abortive' is a medication used to get rid of the headache.

Imitrex is very $$. I get free samples from my neuro (thank god) otherwise I couldn't afford it. Sometimes I use several hundred dollars worth a day.

Goodluck and PF Wishes

Unsolved

Someone else will have to tell you about the cost of O2. I don't use it  Undecided
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2005, 3:07pm by unsolved1 » IP Logged
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 23rd, 2005, 11:08pm »

Smiley
I used to get 6 Zomig pills (5mg each)

It would take one or two to abort a cycle.

they cost about $40 but  
insurance would only give you 6 pills a month.

they stopped working for me, though.
and now I get 4 headaches every day, so I would run out of pills in 1 and 1/2 days...
so that wouldn't work either.

Have you thought of hooking up to oxygen?

It might work for you and then be cheaper, too.
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
hdido

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 23rd, 2005, 11:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm fortunate.  My insurance will give me a 3 months' supply of ANY drug for $15 for generic and $35 for brand name.  If I had to pay for it myself, my bills would run about $2000 a month.
IP Logged
cjc68
New Board Newbie
USA 

The beast always looses in the end!

christopherjc68  

« Reply #4 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 1:07am »

Brian, I used  to get unlimited amounts of imitrx injections at only $10 per with my insurance, without insurance it costs me $70 per shot, using 3 shots per day can get really expensive!
Yes you are right, abortive is used to abort a CH when it hits!
I have since found another, more inexpensive but just as effective way to fight the beast, look at my post on  
The Zu and Prednisone in the medications and therapies posts.  Good luck to you Brian!
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #5 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 6:02am »

I used maxalt. And I have a good insurance. Smiley
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 6:03pm »

Brian, I have not used imitrex since I found this site and oxygen. I pay $5 copay (Aetna insurance) every time I get my O2 tanks re-filled. This covers 3 E tanks, which are about as wide as a 2 liter bottle of coke and goes up just past my knee. Each tank last 3-4 hits.

PF wishes.
Jose
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 8:29pm »

Trex injects are my savior and can be split so that one injection can last for 2-3 headaches (see the tip to the left).  O2 can also get expensive depending on how many hits you get per day, etc.

If you go the Trex route, my best advice is to make wonderful friends with the nurses in your doc's office.  Talk about the expense and how difficult it is for you.  The samples will start flowing.  Last cycle I only spent $100 total for a script.  The rest came from my doc's nurses.  I LOVE THEM!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Topical
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Jul 25th, 2005, 5:07am »

on Jul 24th, 2005, 6:03pm, marlinsfan wrote:
Brian, I have not used imitrex since I found this site and oxygen. I pay $5 copay (Aetna insurance) every time I get my O2 tanks re-filled. This covers 3 E tanks, which are about as wide as a 2 liter bottle of coke and goes up just past my knee. Each tank last 3-4 hits.

PF wishes.
Jose

Good to see you had a better policy than me. They consider O2 to be a medical equipment which means I have a 400 dollar deductible before they kick in a cent.  

I bought my O2 setup for 350 dollars. It's a massive H tank. Others have bought setups with the smaller tanks for 150. Refills of the O2 is going to be about 30 dollars delivered. I don't expect to need that for at least 2 years.  

I encourage people to try O2. Rent it first to see if it works well and if it does, consider buying it. O2 does not work for everyone.
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2005, 5:07am by Topical » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss