Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 8th, 2024, 5:38pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « lucky clusterhead »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   lucky clusterhead
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: lucky clusterhead  (Read 297 times)
steveo
New Board Newbie
Yemen 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

lucky clusterhead
« on: Mar 17th, 2005, 9:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi!  Found this sight a week ago when i was having my headaches.  Have been having cluster head aches for 17 years I suppose.  This is where it gets better.  As long as I remember the headache period last for only 2 weeks max and then goes away for two years.  Last time it was 2 1/2 years between clusters.  
     My wife became a nurse 6 years ago and started researching and coming with to see docters when the headaches came back.  Nothing worked more than once until the mighty imitrex.  I can take a shot and feel the headache go away in a minute if I shoot it in a lucky spot (tricep), otherwise it may be 3 minutes (trcep as well).  
     I feel so lucky that this is my pattern and seem so treatable.  I realize that it can change easily.
     The main reason for this introduction is to help!  This is what I have learned and come up with:
1.  The imitrex tip is great!  An idea to improve it that I have not actualy tried yet is to take 3 pens (spring loaded device) and leave one alone, cut the other two (the white part that pushes into the imitrex solution)
shorter so they only push out so  much solution.  This way you would have a pen that would say push out the first 1/3 of the solution, a pen for the second 1/3, and a un-altered pen for the last 1/3.  Hope this makes sense, it is getting late in the day for me.  The pharmacy keep giving the pen kits until I said I only need the refill, so it should not be to hard to get 3 pens I would think.
2.  My wife (Margo) called the insurance company after we realized they would only help us with so many refills a month and learned this:  you can ask your docter to fill out some paper work called "emergency quantity exception request"?  emergency means it gets processed in 24 hours approx. instead of a week.
We did this and the insurance "granted" the request.
My headaches went away so I did not find out what this meant in numbers (how much they would help us with now.
3.  Margo also asked to clinics that I had visited for samples.  This was very productive.  My belief is that imitrex charges approx $60 for one shot!

I will quit for now and add some more in the near future.   My fear is that I will lose my connection and have to type this over.  Thanks for the format.

Steve
IP Logged
steveo
New Board Newbie
Yemen 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: lucky clusterhead
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19th, 2005, 8:08am »

Here to finish what I have learned so far from my headache experience.  No feedback yet, must have been to up beat.  Sorry.  

1.  I do light labor for employment and the only time I had headaches at work this episode, was when I did a job that was putting stress on my shoulders/neck?
2.  alcohol is the only thing that I know will bring on a attack for me.
3.  I lifted weights and jogged 30 minutes almost daily during my last 2 weeks of headaches but never even had shadows at the gym.  This seems strange because I thought that the headaches are vascular based and imitrex basicly somehow reduses blood flow.  The exercise increases blood flow.  Can anybody help me with this one?
4.  My group of headaches always starts with small headaches that hint of whats to come, and end cold turkey.
5.  Something very strange:  I was due to have another group of headches, so I was sensitive to anything I would feel in my head.  Then for a week or so I felt very strange, but not bad.  It was more towards a energy boost like I used to get when I was younger.  I really think it had something to do with the clusters. Like somehow they were being blocked.  They came 6 months later.

Thanks for reading.  Can anvone tell me about research.
Is there any money being raised for research, etc...
Steve
IP Logged
jokrs2
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Eventually He will make us pain free!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19th, 2005, 12:40pm »

Hi steveo. I'm no doctor or nurse for that matter, but I do enjoy being nursed Grin In reponse to #3. When I exercised while I was on Imitrex, it didn't seem to make it worse, and I believe that exercise can produce more natural endorphine in the brain. Plus you are probably breathing more and getting more oxygen (a good thing).
The OUCH website for finding out how we can help if you have funds etc...to contribute. Also check out the Kudzu string in the message board under Treatments and Therapies. There will also be testing done at Harvard using fungus (psilocyben) in the near future. Just a bit of info from me, and I know others will bump this with a lot more information for you so stick around. Blessings and PFD&N's, Joe
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2005, 12:40pm by jokrs2 » IP Logged

Given strength, courage & a sound mind!
javi_spain
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 5:56am »

Hi Steveo

I cannot help much other than to say that we seem to be in similar positions... My cycles last about one month and they, as you say, start soft, grow over the first week and finish pretty suddenly.

Exercise has never been a problem to me, but alcohol seems to be (red wine in particular).

I have not tried the trex yet, I have heard in this forum that it may actually make cycles longer so I will avoid it while I can.

Also I am a bit "bipolar" in that I can feel lazy for a few days and very energetic for a few days afterwards... I wonder if this bears any relation with CHs.

Anyway, all the best... I hope you carry on being lucky.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss