Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 4:43am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Worried and confused »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Worried and confused
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Worried and confused  (Read 829 times)
ihatepavelbure
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Worried and confused
« on: May 25th, 2007, 4:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am so confused about whether or not I have Cluster Headaches...and terrified that I do.  

My first headache came upon me around 10:30 three nights ago.  It was a stabbing pain on my left side. I was able to eventually fall asleep after it had subsided, and the next day I was fine.  

...Until night, that is, when it happened again at 10:30. I took three tylenols that seemed to have no effect. and it was more severe than the first. But then, as before, it subsided and I went to bed.  

The next morning, yesterday, I woke up with a whopper of a headache around 7:30 AM. It was very painful; tylenols again had no effect. I used that HeadOn stuff which also didn't seem to help, put on an eye mask, and lay down on the bed in misery. During this, I was able to talk on the phone to my office to tell them I couldn't come in. There was some nausea. After about three hours, it went away.  

I went to urgent care, and they basically told me they didn't know what it was, and to follow up with a GP.  They gave me vicodin and a nasal stereoid, in case it was sinus in nature. This, even though I didn't feel stuffed up at all. I took the nasal stereoid and buckled down in the nighttime, waiting, but the headache didn't come. It also didn't reappear this morning.  

My questions are: generally, it doesn't sound like CH, except the location and description of the type of pain (stabbing), and the fact that it has reappeared at the same time.  

Answers? Help? I'm scared.
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Worried and confused
« Reply #1 on: May 25th, 2007, 6:22pm »

Well first you're right. You have a long way to go on your diagnosis. I'd hesitate to say you have CH based on 3 headaches. Take the CH quiz and see how you do. Someone said there are like 300 different headache types with many overlapping types. We have several doctors on the board, none of them would diagnose a person based on such limited criteria.  

Some suggestions for now, keep some red bull type energy drinks on hand, you need the kind with both caffeine and taurine. Slam a cold one of those down at the first hint of a headache, it works to abort for many people. Try ice packs on the painful side near the base of the neck, it helps many.

If it turns out you do have CH by all means stick around there is a wealth of information here you can't find anywhere else. You need to get to a neuro and eliminate any of the "bad possibilities." Once you get a solid diagnosis you'll need to figure out a treatment plan. I hope you don't have CH, if you do, welcome to your new second home!!!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: May 25th, 2007, 6:31pm »

Quote:
If it turns out you do have CH by all means stick around there is a wealth of information here you can't find anywhere else. You need to get to a neuro and eliminate any of the "bad possibilities." Once you get a solid diagnosis you'll need to figure out a treatment plan. I hope you don't have CH, if you do, welcome to your new second home!!!  

Guiseppi
Well said, I couldn't have said it any better!  I hope you get it figured out and you get some relief no matter what it is!
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
ihatepavelbure
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: May 25th, 2007, 6:49pm »

Thanks to the two that responded. My worry is...
...can a headache recur at the same time of day and not be a cluster headache? i.e. if I have another headache at 10:30 pm tonight....is it possible, even, for it NOT to be a cluster headache?
IP Logged
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 25th, 2007, 7:08pm »

on May 25th, 2007, 6:49pm, ihatepavelbure wrote:
Thanks to the two that responded. My worry is...
...can a headache recur at the same time of day and not be a cluster headache? i.e. if I have another headache at 10:30 pm tonight....is it possible, even, for it NOT to be a cluster headache?

Yes.

IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: May 25th, 2007, 9:35pm »

No matter what you need a neurologist's opinion.  Plus some test's.  Not just urgent care opinions.
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 26th, 2007, 11:19am »

It's not wise to try and diagnose yourself when the issue could be far more serious than cluster.

"Terror" works to keep you from seeking a good evaluation when this is the critical next step. Work to get your reasoning mind into action.

If you don't have a good primary care physician, then consider:

1. Search the OUCH site (button on left) for a list of recommended M.D.s.

2. Yellow Pages phone book: look for "Headache Clinics" in the M.D. section and look under "neurologist" where some docs will list speciality areas of practice.

3.  Call your hospital/medical center. They often have an office to assist in finding a physician. You may have to ask for the social worker/patient advocate.

4. http://www.achenet.org/physicians/   On-line screen to find a physician.

5. http://www.headaches.org/consumer/index.html Call 1-800-643-5552; they will send a list of M.D.s for your state.I suggest using this source for several reasons: first, we have read several messages from people who, even seeing neurologists, are unhappy with the quality of care and ATTITUDES they have encountered; second, the clinical director of the Jefferson (Philadelphia) Headache Clinic said, in late 1999, that upwards of 40%+ of U.S. doctors have poor training in treating headache and/or hold attitudes about headache ("hysterical female disorder"Wink which block them from sympathetic and effective work with the patient; third, it's necessary to find a doctor who has experience, skill, and a set of attitudes which give hope of success. This is the best method I know of to find such a physician.  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #7 on: May 28th, 2007, 8:14pm »

Between now and the time you get in to see a neurologist, you should try hating Pavel Bure a little less. Who knows? There are many different things that can cause us pain... Grin
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss