Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 14th, 2024, 2:21pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 02 = Relief »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   02 = Relief
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 02 = Relief  (Read 1408 times)
hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

02 = Relief
« on: Jan 1st, 2008, 4:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

woke up this morning with that twinge behind my right  eye,
one things different - i have a bottle of 02 that i grabbed from the dive store, this is the FIRST time i have ever made the beast go away, i was back in bed 20 mins later fast asleep, it was good to bring in the new year without that bastard, and without alcohol but thats okay,
im so happy that this works cant belive ive never tried it before didnt even have any shadows when i properly woke up , so didnt need the coffee either, thank you guys for all your info
one question-
can 02 make a cycle last longer? i feel so strange that i cheated the beast, but it feels great...
Happy New Year  everyone...
Dave
IP Logged

In heaven there is no beer so why not drink it while we´re here
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

Re: 02 = Relief
« Reply #1 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 4:30pm »

That's awesome news Dave!  I'm so happy it worked for you.

I've never known it to extend a cycle.  Though the beast can return in a short time for some (me included) without additional support (energy drinks, coffee, cafergot, ...).  

Happy New Life!

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 4:38pm »

Dive 02 is just compressed air, its not 100% 02.

Get 100% medical 02 and you will be better off in the long run.

So glad that you was able to whoop beast ass today!  headbanger

IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 4:56pm »

Hey thanks guys,
just gotta tell ya that im 100 per cent breathing 100per cent O2, it comes out of a huge green bottle thats labled Oxgyen  i just fill an empty O2 clean scuba tank with it, ive been through this before with other people on here and its definetly not compressed air, just wanted to clear that up but its gonna be my new drug from now on ,
wishing all you guys a pain free year, feels so good to kick the bastards ass,
Dave
IP Logged

Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 5:32pm »

You fill the scuba tank yourself?

How?, I have owned a welding shop for the last 15 years and never heard of such a thing.

I hope it works for you as long as it has for me, it has been a God send for many, many years!

IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:18am »

The scuba tank is a small aluminum 40 litre tank, wich is empty the huge O2 tank is pressurised to 2000 psi, so you hook up a regulater flow hose screwed into the big o2 tank the other end is screwed into the small tank when you release the valve (slowly very important) the pressure that is in the 02 tank balances itself out with the o2 flowing into the scuba tank it will never have a higher pressure than whats in the 02 tank, because its not compressing just transfering to a smaller space so if there is 1500psi in the big green tank then the small tank will fill out to about the same, maybe a little less, the more pressure, the more 02 you can transfer
we mix nitrox in this very same way i just dont top up the tank with compressed air , fairly simple really,
The 02 didnt help last night went to sleep at 11 pm
woke up at 11 45pm with an instant hit had no time to get the tank before i started dancing, the headache lasted 1 hour 20 mins, (longer than normal) and it hit hard (kip 9) after that swallowed 9mg of millatonen and managed to sleep untill 7 this morning, when i woke had the twiching behind the eye again, 02 helped with the morning hit , seems to work for me when i catch it in time, but when im in the attack fase its useless...
anyway i cheated the beast 2 times in 24 hours, so its progress.....
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:23am »

I've had similar experience with oxygen. If the headache establishes I can't kick it with just 02. Especially bad with nite hits because I incorporate the CH into my dream and I'm breathing 02 in my dream! By the time I wake up the CH has a good foothold and it'll often times take an imitrex shot to blow it out.

Stick with the melatonin at bedtime routine, it's reduced the night terrors for many. Congrats on the success with the 02, it's s powerful weapon for your arsenal!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
rocketman3104
New Board Newbie
USA 

Fightin'em off, one at a time

« Reply #7 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:38am »

I have been getting hit hard (out of a dead sleep) with kip7 or 8. O2 will kick it, but it's back in 1-2 hours if I don't get the trex or zomig in me.

What kind of mask are you using? Non-rebreather works the best for me. I try to do full breaths in and exhale completely (kind of rapidly) at 8-18l/h, depending on the severity of it. May not work for you, but does me good. Usally starts to kick in about 5-10 mins.

Glad you found the O2 works, goood stuff!
             Paul
IP Logged

Paul
hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 1:17pm »

i use a normal scuba regulater (02 clean) wich is a demand valve i suck in deep and slow and exhale kinda fast, 10- 15 mins and the twinge seems to dissapear,
so far they dont come back but i do wake up with shadows, another 10 mins of 02 when i wake up properly and a couple cups of coffee seems to keep it in control
IP Logged

rocketman3104
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 1:54pm »

Try to get your hands on a non-rebreather o2 mask, I don't think they cost very much. You may be able to score one from you local fire dept. or Emergency Room. Home medical Supply stores carry them. Just about everyone on O2 for clusters uses them.

Most of us would protect it like a family treasure (lol).

IP Logged

Paul
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 2:25pm »

Actually, for those who are comfortable with them, the demand regulators are very effective. I use a similar rig to the SCUBA mask. You get only pure 02, much the same as a non re breather, but no 02  runs when you're not breathng!

The way I use 02, I exhale completely, then take as huge a breath of 02 as i can, then hold for up to 45 seconds, then repeat! It's proven very effective for me, and by using a demand valve which only releases 02 when you breathe, I can abort in as litle as 200 pounds on an e-tank.  

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 6:01pm »

on Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:18am, hotprestwich wrote:
you hook up a regulater flow hose screwed into the big o2 tank the other end is screwed into the small tank

What is a hose like that called?

And wouldnt you have to have two different connections, one on each end? I mean the scuba connection is way different from the big tank connection.

Dont mind me im just curious.  Wink

IP Logged

- Guiseppi

molle
New Board Newbie
Denmark 

« Reply #12 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:19pm »

Did anyone see this video comparing demand valve and non rebreathe mask, just found it searching the internet.

Very impressive.

http://artonio7.com/batch/batch/Welcome.html

Happy new year.

Molle
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:25pm »

on Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:19pm, molle wrote:
Did anyone see this video comparing demand valve and non rebreathe mask, just found it searching the internet.

Sure, Anthony and Chuck are part of our 02 crew. Wink
IP Logged

- Guiseppi

RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:13pm »

I was in the scuba business in 75 . . .  had a GREAT year going til winter came on and "Jaws" came out . . . had certified divers that wouldn't take a bath for a week.

We didn't have nitrox at that time . . . just compressed air.  The only mixed gases were used by deep divers (oil rigs) and they used heliox (VERY expensive to breath).

By the way . . . did your instruction include actually pulling a "free" (or "emergency"Wink ascent?  I ask because it's evidently not taught anymore (except on the chalkboard) . . . and I've always been curious about how many lives that change in instruction (insisted upon by the insurance companies after a fatality in 75').  I've pulled well over a hundred, deepest from 105 ft.

So very glad the 02 works for you.   I can't take imitrex and it's my only abortive.

Be Safe,   PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:16am »

I was in the scuba business in 75 . . .  had a GREAT year going til winter came on and "Jaws" came out . . . had certified divers that wouldn't take a bath for a week

That's so danged funny. I certified in high school so all us macho dudes went and watched Jaws the night before our first ocean dive. At 20 feet we drained our tanks in under 15 minutes, drove the dive master crazy...we could actually "hear" the sharks sneaking up on us! Grin

Guiseppi
IP Logged

hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:51am »

[quote author=Jonny link=board=chspecific;num=1199222142;start=0#11 date=01/02/08 at 18:01:51]

What is a hose like that called?

And wouldnt you have to have two different connections, one on each end? I mean the scuba connection is way different from the big tank connection.

Dont mind me im just curious.  Wink

Well  we call it an "O2 Whip" and yes there are two different connections depending on the type of valve the scuba tank has, here in Mexico im Cave diving so we use Din Valves wich are the same as the connection that goes on the O2 tank the reason for these valves is that they are the safefest even if the o-ring should blow the tank losses gas a lot slower than the normal international connection, just google "Din valves" and "Oxygen whip" im sure you'll get all the info that you need,
Let me explain where im living...
here i live in a tourist town the name is Tulum, its an amazing place for cave divers, my town is 1km long and there is no emergency room no doctors that know what there talking about, and also the small fire station has no O2, they come to the dive centers if they need it, so pretty much on my own out here, would have gone totaly insane had i not found this web-site, the doctor that diagnosed me was a client that i took diving, she was from canada, and untill she told me what i had i thought i might have a brain tumor,
O2 only works for my morning hit, still wake up and dance in the night, the 02 dos'nt touch it Cry
i dont want to play the self medicating game, so i just dance through them 1 at a time.

IP Logged

rocketman3104
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #17 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:07pm »

I wish you could get to a doc and get something like imitrex,zomig or frova. Some type of abortive.

With them, and the o2 will help make those night time dance sessions alot shorter.
IP Logged

Paul
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:42pm »

I can't keep my threads straight becuase I'm old and my brain is losing it..........has anyone mentioned melatonin to you yet? It's an over the counter supplement at health food stores and pharmacies, I get mine at Costco, it's very cheap.

At 12-18 mg doses, taken just before you go to bed, many can avoid the nite time hits. Something you can legally order thru the mail that might help you out.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

mummymac
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

Kissed Donny Osmond and proud of it

mummymac  
WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 2:33pm »

Picking up on the melotonin bit, I am up to 18mg but still getting night hits.( altough fewer)

How high can you go with this, I only have one bottle that a friend brought back for New York for me. I have ordered some but not sure how long they will take and could only order 6 bottles at a time

Tanya
IP Logged

Tanya

artonio7
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Home since 11/18/06

artonio9  

« Reply #20 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 3:29pm »

on Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:19pm, molle wrote:

Happy new year.

Molle

Happy New Year back at ya!
IP Logged

Hope! http://artonio7.com
CH Pain Calendar Free Download
For artwork
hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 10:20am »

hi guys, im on the melatonin 12 mg a night but i still get hit and instead of waking up with the twinge in my head and eye ,i wake up with the headache already established wich at this point the 02 is no good,
bit confused as to what to do, tried the red bull aswell but with no joy, the only thing ive noticed is that the dances last a little shorter, wich is a blessing,
the last few days i ve been waking up every 2 hours with a hit, last night there was a break in the cycle, went to sleep at 10pm woke up at 11.20pm ( kip8 )
and then after that slept through without the bastard till this morning (first time this cycle)
IP Logged

DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 6th, 2008, 10:56am »

How many days have you been on Melatonin?  I can take a few days to get into your system and make a difference.  I hope you get a break soon.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 6th, 2008, 11:23am »

Hey Dennis ,
ive been on the melatonin, for 6 days now,
do you think i should keep on taking it?  for some reason i think it puts me in a deeper sleep so that the twinging isnt enough to wake me up, only when its got a hold of me dose it wake me up, same deal last night, had no time to get to the 02,  Embarassed
IP Logged

DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 1:01pm »

I'd go to 15 for a few days.  If that doesn't help then I'd stop using it.

I'm not a Dr.  Good luck...

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss