Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 7:26am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verapamil Effectiveness Changing? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verapamil Effectiveness Changing?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verapamil Effectiveness Changing?  (Read 445 times)
slhaas
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Verapamil Effectiveness Changing?
« on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 5:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey all... it's been a while, but I'm back.  I had a really bad cycle about a year ago... maybe 14 months.  I was superbly helped by some great people and tried CB.  It was a strange & unpleasant experience for me, but it gave me the longest PF stage of my life since this has all begun.  

The beast came back in October, and I can't try the CB treatment this time around so I went back to the imitrex/oxygen/verapamil/prednisolne treatment.  It's worked quite well in the past.  Once the verapamil kicks in it's usually a PF life with the occasional small hit here & there.  

All was going well this time around as well, but I've noticed that the night time (REM triggered) hits were happening a little more frequently this time around.  Maybe one every couple of weeks, and around 7-9 on the kip scale, so they haven't been shadows.  This seems a little more than last time around.  I attributed one of these hits to my stopping verapamil to see if the cycle was done, but I've been back on it (daily ER dose) for 2 weeks now and it hit.  The only thing I can think of the most recent hit (last night) was that about 36hrs before that I'd taken an imitrex, and sometimes I have rebounds, but it was strong for a rebound, it was a long time after the dose, it was REM triggered and not day-time.  Has anyone else experienced this in needing a dosage change, a drug change perhaps, or is this normal and to be expected?
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

Re: Verapamil Effectiveness Changing?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 6:31pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2008, 5:26pm, slhaas wrote:
Once the verapamil kicks in it's usually a PF life with the occasional small hit here & there.  

... hits were happening a little more frequently this time around.  Maybe one every couple of weeks, ...

If it's only one hit in a couple weeks time, that's not bad, nothing's foolproof with this.  Could even be a missed dose or just took it at a different time of day.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2008, 6:33pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
slhaas
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 6:43pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2008, 6:31pm, Kevin_M wrote:

If it's only one hit in a couple weeks time, that's not bad, nothing's foolproof with this.  Could even be a missed dose or just took it at a different time of day.

This is true... with the holidays I know I missed a dose or 2 and that it wasn't always taken at the same time.  However, I was unaware that with the Verapamil ER caps this was an issue.
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #3 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 6:45pm »

I use SR, sustained release, same thing I guess.  Happens to me.  They last about 12 hours, coverage should be consistent.
IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 7:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Try melatonin for the nighttime hits.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 4th, 2008, 8:13am »

SLOW-RELEASE VERAPAMIL

Dr. Sheftell applauded the protocol for verapamil used by Dr. Goadsby and colleagues, which entailed use of short-acting verapamil in increments of 80 mg. “This method was suggested by Lee Kudrow, MD, 20 years ago as an alternative to slow-release verapamil,” Dr. Sheftell noted.

“I would agree with using short-acting verapamil, rather than the sustained-release formulation, in cluster headache,” he said. “I prefer the short-acting formulation with regard to ability to titrate more accurately and safely. My clinical experience anecdotally demonstrates improved responses when patients are switched from sustained-release verapamil to short-acting verapamil.”

Dr. Goadsby agreed that his clinical experience was similar. “There are no well-controlled, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging studies to direct treatment. This is one of those areas where clinicians who treat cluster headache have to combine what modicum of evidence is available with their own clinical experience,” Dr. Sheftell commented.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 4th, 2008, 9:42am »

Sheftell is my doc and once we changed from extended or sustained release to short acting, we were able to gain much more stability and knock it down a notch
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss