Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 15th, 2024, 3:27am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Genetic link? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Genetic link?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Genetic link?  (Read 341 times)
Grinner62
New Board Newbie
USA 

Only the young die good

Genetic link?
« on: Jan 7th, 2008, 12:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I found out over Christmas that my sister has the beast visit her too. Showed her my imitrex statdose, she'd tried the pills before and surprise, they didn't work. "Cafergot works a little." LOL  

Anyway, I thought I had seen a denial of a genetic link somewhere. I wouldn't want my kids to go through what they've seen me go through. That would be worse than a constant kip 9. I can't find info yea or nay regarding family ties to the beast...anyone?
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

Re: Genetic link?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 12:51pm »

There is limited evidence of a genetic link.  My Father had them.  Two of my sisters have Migraines.  One of my sons has Migraines too.  With 10 kids this is something that I worry about but I don't let it consume me.

There is also this:

Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain
Volume 34 Issue 7 Page 400-407, July/August, 1994

Inheritance of Cluster Headache and its Possible Link to Migraine
Lee Kudrow , M.D. , David B. Kudrow , M.D. California Medical Clinic For Headache  
Lee Kudrow, M.D., California Medical Clinic for Headache, 16542 Venture Blvd., Encino, CA 91436

SYNOPSIS

We evaluated the possibility that cluster headache may be a transmitted disorder, influenced by migraine genetics. In the first part of a two part study, 24 female cluster headache probands having at least one first degree relative with cluster headache were evaluated for familial histories of cluster and migraine headache. Headache histories of most parents, sib-lings and children were satisfactorily documented by either direct interview or by information provided by knowledgeable relatives. In approximately a third of relatives, the headache history could not be properly ascertained. The second part of the study evaluated occurrence rates of cluster and migraine headaches among first degree relatives of 200 female and 100 male cluster headache patients, and the proportion of affected relatives. These data were compared to those of 200 women and 100 men with migraine headache; family history data were, for the most part, provided by headache patients.

Twenty-four of two hundred cluster headache women (12%) had at least one first degree relative with cluster headache. Three generations of cluster headache were found in 7/ 24 kindreds (29.17%). Parental cluster headache was found in 19 of the 24 probands (79.17%); in 14/19 (73.68%), transmission was from father to proband. Fifty percent of cluster pro-bands also had migraine headaches, and almost 50% had a family history of migraine. Similarly, of the larger population of 300 cluster patients, approximately 45% had a positive family history of migraine. Of 1652 relatives of all cluster patients, 3.45% had cluster headache (thirteen times the expected frequency of cluster headache in the general population) and 17.55% had migraine headaches.

The combined occurrence rate of cluster and migraine headaches among mothers or fathers of cluster patients differed little from the parents of migraine patients (X2 = 3.16, P <.10; X2 = 0.28, P < 0.70, respectively). Migraine was significantly more common, however, among some relatives of migraineurs compared to combined frequencies of migraine and cluster headache among relatives of cluster patients. Finally, the migraine population of Goodell et al.28 was compared to our cluster headache population for occurrence of either headache type among children where neither, one or both parents had headaches. The results for our cluster population was 36.33%, 48.07% and 71.43%, respectively; this distribution was not significantly different from the migraine group of Goodell et al. (28.6%, 44.2% and 69.2%),28 and conformed to a Mendelian pattern of transmission (X2 = 37.55, P < 0.001).

Results of this study provided evidence suggesting a genetic basis for cluster headache. Equally compellingwere findings suggesting a genetic link between migraine and cluster headaches. The authors have speculatedthat migraine and cluster headache may be the same disorder, genotypically, but expression of the latter mayinvolve a more complex process requiring, as yet unknown, extrinsic or intrinsic influences.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 2:17pm »

Just some anecdotal information for you...

My sister has CH, and a number of first cousins have migraines to the point of having significant problems...

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 3:51pm »

Lancet Neurol. 2004 May;3(5):279-83.    

Epidemiology and genetics of cluster headache.

Russell MB.

Department of Neurology, Akershus University Hospital, Oslo, Norway. m.b.russell@klinmed.uio.no

Cluster headache, the most severe primary headache, is characterised by unilateral pain, ipsilateral autonomic features, and, in many cases, restlessness. Recent epidemiological studies indicate that the prevalence of cluster headache is about one person per 500. Genetic epidemiological surveys indicate that first-degree relatives are five to 18 times-and second-degree relatives, one to three times-more likely to have cluster headache than the general population. Inheritance is likely to be autosomal dominant with low penetrance in some families, although there may also be autosomal recessive or multifactorial inheritance in others. To date, no molecular genetic clues have been identified for cluster headache. Identification of genes for cluster headache is likely to be difficult because most families reported have few affected members and genetic heterogeneity is likely. Future focus should be on ion channel genes and clock genes. This review summarises the epidemiology and genetics of cluster headache.

Publication Types:  
Review

PMID: 15099542 [PubMed]  
==================================
Neurology. 2001 May 8;56(9):1233-6.  

Increased familial risk of cluster headache.

Leone M, Russell MB, Rigamonti A, Attanasio A, Grazzi L, D'Amico D, Usai S, Bussone G.

Carlo Besta National Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy.

The authors studied the occurrence of cluster headache in the families of 220 Italian patients with cluster headache. A positive family history was found in 20% (44/220) of the families. Compared with the general population, first-degree relatives had a 39-fold significantly increased risk of cluster headache. Second-degree relatives had an eightfold significantly increased risk. The increased familial risk strongly supports the hypothesis that cluster headache has a genetic component in some families.

PMID: 11342697 [PubMed]  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 4:18pm »

You betcha!

Thanks Grandpa.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
aubmari
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Do not lose heart~

« Reply #5 on: Jan 9th, 2008, 6:07pm »

My sister gets them as well. We are both eposodic. I have always had migraines as well and she has never had them .... just CH.

Hope this helps.

Aubmari
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2008, 6:08pm by aubmari » IP Logged

Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, Love deeply and forgive quickly.

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss