Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 10:29pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Worst CH description ever .... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Worst CH description ever ....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Worst CH description ever ....  (Read 772 times)
badfly
New Board Veteran
New_Zealand 

No matter where you are, thats where you're at!

Email

Worst CH description ever ....
« on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 7:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just searching around the net tonight, I came across the stupidest attempt at giving info on CH in my life. Of course I sent them a very heated e-mail and urge you all to do the same.
http://www.painforum.com/en/1/clusterheadache.html

I was mostly freaked by this sentence ... "It is known to affect smokers and alcoholics in particular". ALCOHOLICS ?!?!? What the f#ck is that supposed to mean?
IP Logged

for (int i=0;i<infinity;i++)
{Shout("Get this BEAST off my back !!!");}
badfly
New Board Veteran
New_Zealand 

Email

Re: Worst CH description ever ....
« Reply #1 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 7:20am »

Damn! Just found another doozy.

"The typical cluster headache sufferer is a man with rugged facial appearance and coarse-looking skin, although women and children also can get them. Many cluster patients are heavy smokers and drinkers. Quite often, the headaches occur at night."

here is the link if you wanna blast em too.
http://www.umich.edu/~urecord/9798/Sep10_97/cluster.htm

I cant believe the rubbish that is out there. Some ppl will label anything huh.
IP Logged

maggie_may
New Board Veteran
USA 

maggie_may_12   ladydeth12
Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 7:29am »

That's insane to use that word .. alcoholics.  If someone who was just diagnosed with CH and didn't really know much about it and read that site and alcohol was a trigger for them, I know I'd be offended that someone called me an alcoholic.

Hell, I must be a closet smoker and alcoholic, b/c as far as I know, I don't do either one..

maggie
IP Logged

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Mahatma Gandhi

The human spirit is stronger than anything that happens to it. - C.C. Scott
RevDeFord
New Board Old Timer

Pain is real if the neighbors know you have it!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 7:44am »

I have always heare this and have never disputed it since I am a recovering alcoholic.  It is interesting thought hat I had my first CH around 14 which is about 2 years before I really started drinking heavily.
IP Logged

I don' know why it hurts, but I pray it will stop.
Hirvimaki
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Quod me nutrit me destruit.

3978676 3978676   frotteur   hirvimaki
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 8:15am »

WTF?!?! What a way to start a KIP 6 day...  Since I neither drink nor smoke (and never have) and I doubt very much you could ever characterize me as having "rugged facial appearance and coarse-looking skin" (I'm a pretty-boy), I must be channeling these HAs from some craggy, alcoholic living under a bridge.  While I'm certain there are smokers and alcoholics and men with rough skin who suffer from CH, you could say the same about any number of diseases.

Now I must get back to writing this letter to the experts over at the painforum...  I hope they don't mind the cigarette burns and tequila stains on it.
IP Logged

"What makes us discontented with our condition is the absurdly exaggerated idea we have of the happiness of others."

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 9:09am »

Having been to 3 conventions I'd have to agree with the drinking and smoking.  Fully 95% of the people at the conventions hit it hard.  Look at the pics of the conventions and tell me if you see cigarettes and booze/beer.  Almost every picture.

I don't look at it from the point that the smokes and alcohol cause the clusters but rather from the point that the same brain malfunction that causes clusters also causes us to have addictive personalities.  Anybody addicted to this MB?
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Hirvimaki
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 9:19am »

I don't have an addictive personality.  Now, I may be the only CHer in the entire world who does not smoke or drink or have addiction problems, but I doubt it.

I would say rather that smoking and drinking are two ways people cope with pain (either emotional or physical).  I'd say if you have CH, you have a lot of pain with which to cope.
IP Logged

"What makes us discontented with our condition is the absurdly exaggerated idea we have of the happiness of others."

Elaine

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 9:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Bob has a point there.  

IP Logged
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 9:50am »

addictive personality?    BAH!    Wink

while in rehab, i was almost tempted to ask if anyone woke up regularly in the middle of the nite, screaming...

probably lots of them --- just for other reasons

grant
IP Logged
hopefull
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:11am »

I don't drink or smoke.....so what gives!!!
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:51am »

I am unable to find any contact numbers for either of the above links.
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 1:17pm »

Quote:
Posted by: hopefull Posted on: Today at 07:11  
I don't drink or smoke.....so what gives!!!  
Then you must not have clusters!
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
FrankF
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 1:37pm »

I remember we have discussed another cluster site that says left handed people do not have CH.  Tongue
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 1:38pm »

Oh well, only a few years ago WOMEN didn't have them either -- And I voted AGAINST women's lib. Told 'em we didn't need Equal Rights --- should have just left it to the ruddy skinned alcoholic men......  

Us women folks could have still been sitting around with our little "delicate" migraines.... Go figure!!!!

Blast away guys -- those people deserve it.... I'll help ya'll out later after I get rid of my "delicate" little migraine...... LOL!

Hugs  BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #14 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 1:51pm »

Have to go along with Bob P on this addictive thing.

The addiction doesn't have to be of the "sin" type, smoking, drinking, gambling.

How many just "have to" complete the newspaper crossword puzzle every morning? Or "have to" read their horoscope?

How many "must have" coffee first thing in the morning? Or "must have" a snack before bedtime?

How many "just have to" check into this site every day?

IMHO most clusterheads do have addictive personalities.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Hirvimaki
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 2:19pm »

I can only speak for myself, but, again, I do not have an addictive personality. I may be many things, but a person disposed to addiction (whether the sin-variety or otherwise) I am not.  

I guess I just don't have CH.

Silly me.  Wink
IP Logged

Hirvimaki
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 2:30pm »

Oh, I am, however, predisposed to sin in general.  I'm just not addicted to it!
IP Logged

firebrix
New Board Hall of Famer
New_Zealand 

I must never weaken.

« Reply #17 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 2:47pm »

Sorry.
Cannot agree with this addictive personalities thing. Mopar is not like this, and doesn't drink alcohol either.
There are many on this site who do not fit that description. I know cos I've chatted and emailed with them and I've also recently met another CHer who is pretty far from these descriptions - a very cool guy indeed with no  addictive personality evident.

Maybe when there are over 5000 people on a site, some similarities occur between groups, but not all CHers use alcohol, smoke nor have addictive personalities. If we make comments like this we have to be careful that our methodology is not the same as the morons who wrote the above-mentioned webpages which I found quite insulting and told them so.

I am aware that not everyone here will agree with the Kiwi brikki chikki from Down Under but this is just my 2c worth - for what its worth.
flame away
firebrix
IP Logged

"All that it takes for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 2:54pm »

Hirvimaki....not all clusterheads have addictive personalities but I think most do.  

Glad you don't. Sorry you have clusters. Wish it were the other way around.

Please enjoy you sins in general.  Grin
IP Logged

don

Email

« Reply #19 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 3:03pm »

Quote:
I do not have an addictive personality.

Oh yeah?

Can you go 1 week without accessing or thinking about this site?

I am addicted to anything that makes me feel good. Took me weeks of recovery to stop sending hate mail to jonny. God i miss it!
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2003, 3:04pm by don » IP Logged
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #20 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 3:04pm »

Well I DO have an addictive personality im addicted to this site, my hubby and the phone...oh and Yahoo.....but I don't have CH ....I smoke and drink, Wes doesn't drink but smokes....and definately doesn't have an addictive nature.....guess that throws the theory outta the window.... ;D

btw...there are lots of alcoholics who dont live under bridges and they are good guys....

Cathy
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2003, 3:05pm by cathy » IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

Killroy 2.0
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kilroy 2.0 is Here! Kilroy 2.0 is Everywhere!

gmlevenhagen  
Email

« Reply #21 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 3:17pm »

Wait, wait , wait....
I am left handed and only smoke and drink on rare occations...

does that mean I don't have CH ???

does that mean I have to give up my O2 and go back to being in pain  Tongue LOL

That sucks Angry

Gena
IP Logged

Do the walls speak to you? Do you follow the Geek Messiah? DO YOU COMPLY?!
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #22 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 3:29pm »

Gena,

No you don't have to give up the O2.

But you must learn to eat and throw right handed.  ;D

Glad you only smoke on rare occasions. You'll die much slower that way.  Wink

I smoke way too much. I'll be in the graveyard way before you are.  Sad
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2003, 3:30pm by BobG » IP Logged

badfly
New Board Veteran
New_Zealand 

Email

« Reply #23 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 4:37pm »

HEY !

I am absolutly appalled at the lack of synergy in relation to this topic! I think that some of you are missing the point (big picture). Those sites were giving a discription of CH and labeling sufferers. Those are not facts they were presenting, but opinions, and BS opinions too. You cannot make BS sweeping statements like that on this board and you certainly cant do it on a so called medical info site either. Yes it is true that a large percentage of CHers smoke, but is that not true of many medical problems. What is the percentage of smokers amongst ppl with sinus infections. What is the percentage of smokers amongst ppl with cataracts? Actually it is a useless fact unless one wants to draw a connection. As far as I have seen on theis board over 4 years there IS NO connection between CH and smoking. BUT ALCOHOLISM! FOR F#CK SAKE ppl wake up!! ALCOHOLISM!!??? Where the @#$ does that come from. Stop being so keen to be argumentative and pay attention here. Do you think alcoholism can/should be related to CH or even written in the same sentence. There is no research or evidence to support that. In fact who ever wrote that description sucked it out of his thumb while looking for a phrase to finnish his sentence. I for one am FREAKED by some of your lack of concern and casual support of the smoking thing. The second site that states "man with rugged facial appearance and coarse-looking skin"is even worse BS then the first! What the hell kinda medical discription is that? Sounds to me like bigoted racist crap!! Does this mean blond blue eyed aryens are lesss likely to suffer CH? What about short smooth featured children of the sun.  

If those sites want to be informative, then that kinda suggestive and biased wording should be removed. It should be out for many many reason, and I for one am horrified at the blase attitude some have shown over this. Perhapse you think AIDS only affects Africans and homersexuals? Perhapse you think most CHers are alcoholics.

*John stomps off in disgust cursing and shouting at lack of concern he sees around him ....*
IP Logged

Hirvimaki
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 5:07pm »

Badfly,

I agree with you.  I get rather disgusted with generalizations, especially when they are passed off as some sort of helpful fact.

95% of death-row inmates eat bread. OMG! We should all watch out for those bread-eaters because they have a proclivity to be murderers?  Plaah! Generalizations aren't harmless.  They breed misunderstanding and prejudice.

If there was a viable, and trackable, group which held a higher risk for CH, I would be all for getting this information out there because it would be benficial.  

Hirvimaki
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss