Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 9:50pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Fentanol patches »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Fentanol patches
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fentanol patches  (Read 435 times)
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Fentanol patches
« on: Oct 3rd, 2003, 6:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Most of you know that I have tried every medicine under the sun and nothing has worked.  Out of desperation I tried methadone a year ago.  I am here to say I have been pain free for the last year which has been a much needed break for this chronic clusterhead.  However, I have had to deal with sleeping 15-17 hours a day over the last year.  So I have had an intersting life sleeping most of my life away but yet having no ha while awake and having a wonderful quality of life and able to do things for and whith my kids.  However, My dr has decided along with my husband and I that it would be better for me to go off the methadone at this time and try something different to see if I can be pain free and stay awake also!  Noval concept hey!  I am going to try the 25 mg fentanol patches.  I pray to God that it works like the methadone.  I also pray now that my neuro and I have decided to go this route that my dr is also willing and will perscribe for me.  If anyone feels like offering up some prayers for me as I embark on this new journey I would appreciate it.  Thanks.  Karla
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Miss_Deleny
New Board Veteran
USA 

To live life is to know love

Email

Re: Fentanol patches
« Reply #1 on: Oct 3rd, 2003, 6:44pm »

You have my prayers that this new route you are about to take keeps the beast gone from your life!

~April~
IP Logged

You never know when love will knock on your door, when it does, embrace it and hold on to it forever!
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 3rd, 2003, 6:59pm »

good luck Karla you are also in my prayers... love ree '

ps you can do it...    believe!!!!
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
don

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 3rd, 2003, 7:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I dont know if this will help or not but......................

My wife has been on a heavy dosage of oxycontin for a few years now do to chronic pain from a spinal injury. She to was having a lot of difficulty functioning.

She switched to the fentanol patch and after a few dosage adjustments the pain is managable as it was on the oxys and her futional level has increased dramatically. It might work for ya Karla.
IP Logged
tsayswhy
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 3rd, 2003, 9:19pm »

You got my pray's I hope this works Kiss
IP Logged

if you are going my way---i will walk with you
Melissa

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 3rd, 2003, 9:25pm »

good luck to you Karla, you're in my thoughts and I'll say a prayer for you.

love,
 Smileymel
IP Logged
Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 3rd, 2003, 11:52pm »

BIGASS vibes going up to you Karla, and the family.
I wish you the BEST of luck,
Mast
IP Logged

Mastifflvr28 (aka Michelle A.)
Be part of the solution
http://www.ouch-us.org
OXYGEN!!!
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
OneEyeBlind
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Yea, I can do this

topnoodle

« Reply #7 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 12:45am »

Karla, hoping this works for you !!!!!!  My best vibes, prayers, and good juju coming your way !!!!!!
IP Logged

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 1:32am »

Karla

Wish you the very best.Really hope the Fentanyl Patches works for you.

Wibes on the way

The very best from

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Hound_Dogg

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 6:55am »

Karla,

I was on the Fentanyl Patches (Duragesic by Jannsen). It was not for Clusters, but that's another story for another message board Smiley. They work great for pain. It takes about 24 to 48 hours for you to begin feeling the effects of the patch & once it is titrated to the proper dose, it should work fine. But you should have a couple of "rescue doses" of methadone for the first day or two, until it gets into your bloodstream. I'll give you some hits & misses with this med below.

Hits-One applied patch kills pain for 72 hours, so once you put it on...no worries for 3 days.....Since it goes into your bloodstream slowly, you don't have the many nasty side effects of other narcotics, i.e. sleepiness, itching, drowsy, disconnected, & constipation.

Misses- Once you don't need it, it's hard to wean off from. If you wean down to 25mcg it's still a nasty withdrawal. About 3 to 4 days of something like a stomach virus. BE PREPARED....Sometimes the patches sweat off. Jannsen will give you an adhesive cover for them, just give them a call.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions, Please let me know..

Jim
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2003, 7:03am by Hound_Dogg » IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 4th, 2003, 9:28am »

Karla, you know I am chronic and was out of work last year for about five months with uncontrollable chs...anyway, my Neuro put me on a 25 mcg. patch...I am still on that same dose...It has made all the difference in the world to my chs..I still have some breakthrus but nothing like I was...I can work everyday...When I get hit, it is very sporatic and not five and six times a day...A few months ago, I started getting hit worse than I ever had since I went on the patch...My neuro upped my topamax and it settled rite down again....He feels the combo of the patch and an antiseizure is what is helping me so much..And I agree...I refuse to up the dose on my patch and for the last year, it has worked for me...I dont post about this combo alot as I dont believe this is the medication for anyone who is episodic...It was my last resort..I was ready to give up last year...Email me anytime..smiles,nancyc
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2003, 9:30am by nancyc » IP Logged
MikeS
New Board Newbie

« Reply #11 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 3:50am »

Karla,  

I am glad to hear that others are getting the same great results from methadone that I have had.  I had some problems falling asleep when I increased my dose.  I have been on the same dose for long enough that my biggest problem is forgetting to take all my doses. If I miss 2 doses a day for 3-4 days the only way I can tell is my attacks start to occur daily. Even on the methadone I was still getting 10 attacks a week. (However I would use a fentynal sucker (Actiq) and would get 80% relief in 15-20 minutes.)  My Dr. Had read about using ritalin for CH. I tried it for a month, however I had some side effects that gave me problems, so as a trial he switched me to adderall and my CHs were reduced from 10 a week to less the 3.  I went off it several times to verify that the results wre accurate.  I have since found out that adderal is an amphetamine. Perhaps it would also help with the sleeping problem you have.  Take care!

Mike L
IP Logged

manicmechanic
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 7:01am »

I had talked to my neuro about adding a medicine to help me stay awake or changing my preventative.  It was determined that because of the other meds I am on that it would be better for me to change the preventative.

Thanks everyone for your kind words of support.  They mean alot to me.
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2003, 7:02am by Karla » IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 9:37am »

Good luck, Karla.  I hope this treatment will work for you.  You're in my thoughts.

T
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss