Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 2nd, 2024, 3:24am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « e-mail crap messages »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Daily Chat
   General Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   e-mail crap messages
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: e-mail crap messages  (Read 712 times)
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

e-mail crap messages
« on: Apr 28th, 2008, 2:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am receiving, at my business e-mail address (get none at home address), at least 12 per day messages with the subject as:

Dearest
Darling
Beloved
My Dear Friend

and so on.

The topic of every one of these message is, of course, telling me that they have a bunch of money that belongs to me, left by a long lost relative, whom I've never heard of.  All I have to do to get this money is to give my bank account number.

Well, I ain't that stupid.

I've contacted my e-mail supplier asking how to  stop getting this crap.  I've been told, I can stop it.  Each e-mail message I receive, I can send to junk.  I already do that, but yet I receive more.  OK, they then tell me I can block the sender.  I've done that, blocking every sender that sends me crap, yet it still comes in from e-mail addresses that aren't blocked, addresses that have not been sent to junk- every single crap e-mail coming in is from a different sender at a different address.

This is my business.  I don't have the time to physically go to my e-mail provider, and physically type in every name, every e-mail address, or every e-provider for every crap e-mail I am receiving every day.

How can I permanently block each and every one of these crap messages?  There has got to be a simple way.  

For instance, I also receive, numerous times daily, e-mails that are sent to me in, my guess would be something like Arabic language.  I automatically just delete those, but deleting one one day, gets me three the next day.  Is there a way to block them by specifying English only.  My e-mail server hasn't been able to answer that one either.

I came in to the office this morning at 8:00 am, booted up the puter, and opened the Microsoft Outlook to download all e-mail messages.

42 messages came in from Friday at approximately 5:45 pm through this morning approximately 8:30 AM.  Out of those 42 messages, we had four business messages, I had three personal messages, and we had another 12 general messages, like discounts from stores that we've purchased from previously, airline discounts, etc.  This let 23 messages to dearest, darling, beloved, or in Arabic  that were in my in box this morning.

Why/how do they have my address?

How do I stop this stuff.  It's gotten ridiculous.

Sandy

IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: e-mail crap messages
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 2:25pm »

The topic of every one of these message is, of course, telling me that they have a bunch of money that belongs to me, left by a long lost relative, whom I've never heard of.  All I have to do to get this money is to give my bank account number.  

Well, I ain't that stupid.

So....ummm.....I'm not getting $80,000 deposited in my account?     damn.

What's really scary is the number of open cases we have where people send all of their personal info, AND  a cashiers check for several thousand dollars, to these off shore accounts, to "facilitate" their receiving these huge inheritances. It's a little scary.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 2:27pm »

We get that shit here at the office too.  And ours is a a nation wide corporate email.  

Because we are listed on the web with our email address, bot programs pick them up and supply them to these spammers.

Just today I got an email about a "work from home" offer to my regular inbox, but yet a rate quote request from a regular client of mine went to my junk box.

Go figure...
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Gone Crazy. Be back soon.

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 2:41pm »

I'd rather have YOUR spam!  All I get is mail offering to enhance my penis, increase my libido and get the ladies. Roll Eyes
IP Logged

DON'T WORRY ABOUT NOTTIN - NOTTIN IS ALRIGHT

My mosaic Crosses on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5494187
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 2:49pm »

on Apr 28th, 2008, 2:25pm, Guiseppi wrote:

So....ummm.....I'm not getting $80,000 deposited in my account?     damn.

What's really scary is the number of open cases we have where people send all of their personal info, AND  a cashiers check for several thousand dollars, to these off shore accounts, to "facilitate" their receiving these huge inheritances. It's a little scary.

Guiseppi

Guiseppi, sweetie, no, I'm sorry, you probably aren't going to see that $80,000 thousand in your account anytime soon.

But, yes, there are so many people throughout the world that do believe this type of message and provide their personal account information, only to find that within a day or two, their bank accounts have been emptied.  

It's not a little scary, it's criminal.

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
midwestbeth
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 2:57pm »

The spam email got so bad at work that I finally had to change the company email address.  It was an inconvience, but in the long run I spent less time notifing vendors and customers of the email change than I did deleting all that crap everyday.

Beth
IP Logged

Do more than exist - live
Do more than touch - feel
Do more than look - observe
Do more than read - absorb
Do more than hear - listen
Do more than listen - understand
~ John Rhodes
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 3:02pm »

on Apr 28th, 2008, 2:41pm, Melissa wrote:
penis

LOL!!
Mel said penis!!

IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

chewy

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 3:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My company uses something called VPSolutions. Any email from a sender not on your contact list goes directly to the VPSolutions account.

One big problem with this

VPSolutions sends you an email alert everytime an unsoliceted email is directed to them so you your inbox still fills up.

Six of one, half dozen of another.
IP Logged
AlienSpaceGuy
New Board Veteran

Greetings from outer space

« Reply #8 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 3:24pm »

I use Mailwasher (by firetrust) in front of the e-mail program. There you can not only define black and white lists, but also define filters that can check for certain phrases in sender, header, subject line or body of message and take a defined action.

My mail provider adds a line to the header with 0 - 7 spam stars. Those with 4 or more stars I bounce and delete without ever looking at them.

In the last 4 weeks mailwasher filtered 667 mail, of which only about 50 reached my inbox. (The advantage of giving an address on a message board  Undecided)

smokin

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods and hates snake oil vendors.

Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 3:30pm »

In my contact e-mail for Family Services of OUCH I get 15 to 20 per day.  Because it is addressed to Family Services there is no way to block, send to junk mail or do anything about it.  I would also be blocking people who are legit and looking for help.

Talk about frustrating........

It's almost always someone who is going to help me increase my size, get help in bed, etc. etc.  Either that or they think Family Services could use some genuine fake Rolex watches.   Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Gone Crazy. Be back soon.

« Reply #10 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 3:39pm »

on Apr 28th, 2008, 3:30pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

It's almost always someone who is going to help me increase my size, get help in bed, etc. etc.  Either that or they think Family Services could use some genuine fake Rolex watches.   Roll Eyes

That's what mine are from, the OUCH site (Membership Committee)  Sucks, don't it?
IP Logged

DON'T WORRY ABOUT NOTTIN - NOTTIN IS ALRIGHT

My mosaic Crosses on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5494187
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 6:11pm »

I use Panda and it blocks about everything that I don't authorize ahead of time, so no one wants to give me all that money any more. Drats!!!!  

And my phone number didn't even get in the phone book this year (gotta talk to them about that one) so I don't even get my obscene phone calls any more... boring as hell around my house these days.... Angry

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 9:03pm »

I have some kind of daily digest thing supplied by my server. It does a pretty good job. I can look at the crap if I want but I rarely do.  

Good luck with all that money  Cool

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
jon019
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

"Ya gotta believe!"

« Reply #13 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 10:34pm »

I use Qurb (at work). If it aint on my recognized list, it's  filtered toot sweet. Once a day I review (there are some genuine), doesn't take long and I REALLY enjoy hitting the delete button.  

The rest? Well, guess I'll never get that 20 million from the wife of the brother of the cousin of the friend of the neighbor of the acquaintance of the countryman of the dear dear mourner of the quadrupally sincere endlessly generous employee of the former tragically dead chief of state of the hopelessly corrupt but totally misunderstood oil rich nation who ONLY wants ME to share in this totally secret unique opportunity for just and ONLY my bank account number... Damn, how did I get so lucky? CH AND 20 Million. Sign me up...

But then, I, being a fool, don't appreciate the generosity. It just reminds me that: "I'm naught a smar-ut mah-un (Forrest Gump).  

Ignorant can be fixed, but stupid is to the bone. I can't stand that anyone could fall for this shite....

Regards,

Jon
IP Logged

"The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names." (that's cluster headache doc)

Chinese proverb
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 10:58pm »

on Apr 28th, 2008, 6:11pm, BarbaraD wrote:
so I don't even get my obscene phone calls any more...

Post your phone number HERE!!!

THAT will take care of this problem for you ...

... Just trying to help out a fellow sufferer ...

Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #15 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 8:04am »

BR544  

Thank you so much Chuckie  Smiley  I knew you wouldn't let me down...... I've missed you...

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Kirk
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

161860987 161860987   kirk_jones511   krkevrtt
Email

« Reply #16 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 7:45pm »

Spamassasin has been very good for me smug

smokin smokin
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #17 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 9:31pm »

on Apr 29th, 2008, 8:04am, BarbaraD wrote:
Thank you so much Chuckie  Smiley  I knew you wouldn't let me down......

I bet I can get some help in making those phone calls ... Chewy comes to mind ...

Chuck, the obscene phone caller ...
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
Mosaicwench
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Find joy in your day

WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 9:43pm »

Mozilla Thunderbird allows one to filter email messages by content.  

A recipient can filter words in the body of a message and then send those messages that are found to contain the content to the trash.

For instance, you could filter for "darling, sweetie, dearest, beloved", etc., and have them directly deleted or sent to the trash or junk folders.

Just hope your friends and family don't call you any of those endearments . . .  Wink

And when posting your email address anywhere, you should add a space between the dot and the com.  Such as anyone@anywhere. com

Your IT department should be filtering this spam at the incoming server, too, shouldn't they?
IP Logged

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter. ~Author Unknown
DonnaH_again
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Polly auditioning for American Idol.

Email

« Reply #19 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 9:55pm »

Wish I had a "return to sender" key.  Let 'um have it right back!  See how they like it.
IP Logged

Are YOU on the hidgic score board yet? It's not easy! www.hidgic.com

Been here since Aug., 1999
Racer1_NC
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Beeeyul the Cat"

Email

« Reply #20 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 10:50pm »

on Apr 29th, 2008, 9:55pm, DonnaH_again wrote:
Wish I had a "return to sender" key.  Let 'um have it right back!  See how they like it.

They would love it.......answering a spammer let's them know that your's is a valid email address.

Funny thing is that spammers wouldn't exist if people didn't respond to the junk emails. No profit, no spam. SOMEBODY is buying the crap they sell.

B
IP Logged

"Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime."

Eventus stultorum magister.
DonnaH_again
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Polly auditioning for American Idol.

Email

« Reply #21 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 12:58am »

Never thought of it like that.  I think you're right.  The best solution is to totally ignore them.
IP Logged

Are YOU on the hidgic score board yet? It's not easy! www.hidgic.com

Been here since Aug., 1999
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #22 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 1:10am »

on Apr 30th, 2008, 12:58am, DonnaH_again wrote:
Never thought of it like that.  I think you're right.  The best solution is to totally ignore them.

Solution for spammers = ignore
Solution for trolls = ignore them

ignorance = bliss
IP Logged

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss