Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 16th, 2024, 6:22am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Cluster Headaches Muscle Spasms »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Cluster Headaches Muscle Spasms
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cluster Headaches Muscle Spasms  (Read 1005 times)
blakemadison
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Cluster Headaches Muscle Spasms
« on: May 11th, 2006, 11:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My husband has had clusters since he returned from Desert Storm in 1991. For some reason, he has had severe pain (left eye swollen shut) with occurrences of two to three per night for the past two weeks. They always hit in the middle of the night, and, interestingly, we have had unusually cool weather in GA lately. He went to the Dr., Tues. AM, and he eliminated the possibility of a cyst in his upper left shoulder; however, he stated that my husband had a severe muscle spasm that was "locked up/aka seized"?? I don't know what this means, but the cortizone shot has not helped so far (doctor digging around in the muscles with a needle definitely did not help). My husband takes Imitrex on a regular basis to combat the attacks. I think that the PM cigarette smoking is relevent, as well as the extremely neat "dipping" during the day. Lack of oxygen seems to play a part based on some of the messages I have read previously. We would tremendously and sincerely appreciate any help and/or advice. Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2006, 12:14am by blakemadison » IP Logged
floridian

Email

Re: Muscle Spasms Cluster Headaches
« Reply #1 on: May 12th, 2006, 12:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hard to say what the doc meant by 'siezed up' since he may have seen something, which may or may not be related.  Lumps on the neck are common during a cycle, as is a drooping or swollen or other wise impaired eye on the affected side. The eye usually improves, but sometimes the damage can be persistent.  A person in intense pain could have a spasm or other muscle related problem.  

Smoking and dipping?  Could be a factor, better to quit, no guarantee it will help, but it might. Dipping less likely to affect the lungs and blood cells, but the whole issue is not understood, other than a link or correllation between tobacco and clusters.  

Magnesium, melatonin, high flow oxygen and B-vitamins are something to consider, they have helped some of us.  Imitrex can abort, but does not prevent - preventive meds are something to look into ... lithium, verapamil, kudzu, depakote, olanzapine,  there are several options.
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2006, 12:06am by floridian » IP Logged
blakemadison
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Cluster Headaches Muscle Spasms
« Reply #2 on: May 12th, 2006, 12:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

SmileyThank you so much for responding. I am incredibly worried right now. I have never seen him in so much pain, and I don't know what to do. I rubbed peppermint oil on his upper back and had him do breathing exercises. He finally went to sleep on a heating pad.  

He was educated tonight on the fact that working on a PC in an improper "posture" environment is really unhealthy for you. I think this holds real merit, as he constantly works on his laptop from a wing chair in the great room. His real job is in an ergonomic environment, but his home recliner is not in one. He is going to start sitting properly with his laptop, or we will have to move the desk downstairs.

I would like to hear more about options other than Imitrex. Preventive meds are definitely what we are looking for.

Thank you again!
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2006, 12:43am by blakemadison » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss