Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 16th, 2024, 11:01am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Many questions! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Many questions!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Many questions!  (Read 1073 times)
TedtheBear
New Board Newbie
USA 

Many questions!
« on: May 13th, 2006, 1:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been doing a lot of reading and reflecting the last few days regarding CH. As i said in my intro, I initially got these back in 68, and was not fully explained what they were nor how to manage (hee, hee) them. They lurked in the "shadows", then KA-BOOM, they came on strong in 2003. I was prescribed Midrin (took the  generic Amidrin) & Elavil (took the generic Amitriptylin). I started out on the Amitriptylin with 10mg. & went to 25mg. I was told that this was a prophylactic treament-i.e. to "prevent" getting the headaches in the first place. The Amidrin was given as an "abortive" treatment-ie. to get rid of the headache once I got it. OK, here goes! I took the Amidrin for 3 weeks along with the Amitriptylin until the Elavil seemed to have kicked in. Stopped taking the Amidrin, but continued to take the Amitriptylin. All was rosie (sp?) until the time (Oct. 2005) the doctor decided to start weaning me from the Amitriptylin. first I had shadows, then the Beast again. Went back to the full 25 mg. But it's not working! Now, the doctor thinks that I may have been at the close of a cycle, and am having a new one(?!). He prescribed the brand Midrin & the brand Elavil, boosting the Elavil to 80mg. I see him in a month. As I look at this, this is what I ponder: Can Amitriptylin be considered a prophylactic? Do you take it only during a cycle, then stop, or do you continue? What I mean here is, say the cycle is 6 weeks (for the sake of argument), do you take only for the 6 weeks? Is it only so that you can get a good night's sleep? I just experienced my first ever "night visitation" on Friday. As to the Midrin, the generic amidrin seemed to have worked fine in aborting the headaches back then, but not NOW.
IP Logged

Don't just aim high, hit the target!
floridian

Email

Re: Many questions!
« Reply #1 on: May 13th, 2006, 1:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yes, amitryptiline and the tricyclics seem to be of value as prophylactics for preventing clusters.  SSRI's and other newer antidepressants, on the other hand, do not seem to help many.  

Withdrawing from the elavil could increase the activity. Hard to say if you were in a cycle when you reduced the med, or if the taper triggered a cycle, or you possibly are chronic.  

Have your headaches in the past been closely tied to the calendar and the clock?  For me (and many others) they are strongly tied. Cycles always at the same time of the year, headaches usually at the same time of the day - often to the exact minute from day to day. But others don't have clear patterns, or the pattern shifts or suddenly changes.  Also, many people have reported that a med works for a while, then loses it effectiveness (and it may be effective if tried a year or two later).  All that makes it hard to answer some of your questions.
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2006, 1:36pm by floridian » IP Logged
TedtheBear
New Board Newbie
USA 

Re: Many questions!
« Reply #2 on: May 13th, 2006, 2:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on May 13th, 2006, 1:31pm, floridian wrote:
Have your headaches in the past been closely tied to the calendar and the clock?  For me (and many others) they are strongly tied. Cycles always at the same time of the year, headaches usually at the same time of the day - often to the exact minute from day to day. But others don't have clear patterns, or the pattern shifts or suddenly changes.
I don't get them at a "precise" time, but they do come at the "approximate" time. 7-9:00 a.m. The exception being Friday, when I was awakened at 4:00 a.m. Haven't really zeroed in on time of year. This is only my 2nd "major" bout (after 20+yrs.), so I'm learning.  
IP Logged

Don't just aim high, hit the target!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss