Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 3rd, 2024, 3:57am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Lithium ? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Lithium ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Lithium ?  (Read 2596 times)
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

Re: Lithium ?
« Reply #25 on: Dec 6th, 2007, 12:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 5th, 2007, 10:49am, nani wrote:

Well, wait...not exactly...when your very first post asked about your DH's unusual symptoms, I was concerned enough to google BAM and give you the link.   Roll Eyes

You did too Nani and I was so grateful for that ! Thank you  Smiley
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #26 on: Dec 6th, 2007, 1:31am »

on Dec 5th, 2007, 5:45am, Annette wrote:
To Pinkfloyd

What exactly did I say, that what you posted, refuted?

Please see below

I saw below and I'm just not buyin what you're sellin.

<sigh>
I'm only answering this because it has to do with medications and I want everything clearly understood. Please don't feel the need to respond on my account.

To make things easier, I am pasting what I originally posted:

on Dec 2nd, 2007, 12:36am, hornedone wrote:Working pretty well so far...well except for one thing. Once the combo starts to wear off (taking it 3 times a day), I start to get very angry/aggressive.  

You should discuss this with your doc.  
How long have you been taking it? Sometimes these types of side effects will stop after you've been on it for awhile.  
It could be possible to change the change your dosing regimen and take the same amount in 4 doses rather than 3 whilch might stop the ups and downs due to it wearing off.  
Maybe you could try using melatonin at night to get the same sleep results.  

Bobw

1. Please note the first line of my original post. It said he should discuss this with his doctor. "This" meaning his problems and the suggestions I made that follow the opening line.

2. Nowhere do I say that the symptoms he is describing are due solely to lithium. Why you thought I needed the encyclopedia version of lithium treatments, I have no idea.

3. I specifically quoted his use of the "combo" of meds and the problems he described when the "combo" began to wear off.

4. No one knows if the symptoms he is describing are due to the lithium, the Klonopin, the combination, or something unrelated to the combination.  

5. Sometimes these types of symptoms do disappear over time. Was I supposed to withhold this information? Don't answer that.

6. I did not suggest he change his dosing regimen without consulting his doctor. His doctor might suggest changing it. His doctor might suggest he get off of one or both of the medications. Whatever the case, he should discuss these problems with his doctor.

7. All I gave him were some ideas that he could discuss with his doctor.  

8. I fully understand therapeutic levels of lithium. I was on it for 5 years.  

Bobw
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #27 on: Dec 6th, 2007, 1:43am »

In that case I read you wrong PinkFloyd, my apology.  Smiley
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
hornedone
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #28 on: Dec 6th, 2007, 8:50pm »

Hello all!
My appt. is next week so hopefully I can hold out until then...that is if I don't run someone off the road first. j/k  Wink

My KIPs have gone from 5-9 to for the most part 3-6, so I (pain wise) really don't want to come off of this for that reason.  

Maybe everyone else will just have to get used to me being an ass.  Grin Or...maybe there is something that can be added to "even" me out, even though I thought the Lithium was supposed to do that. Perhaps (of course with the docs supervision), more Lithium could be in order.

PFDAN 2 all.
IP Logged

"I get headaches like those..."
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #29 on: Dec 7th, 2007, 8:40am »

You being aware there is a problem is half the battle won - you can make a conscious effort with it. (which I know is sometimes easier said than done honestly!)

Let us know how you get on okay? We're all rooting for you to get the best possible meds combo and have the best possible quality of life to boot.

Hang in there and come and have a gripe here any time you need to in the meantime.

Your wife is more than welcome to come and post too. We have a good mix of sufferer's and supporters here and there is help, advice and compassion for all. Its no easy task watching us suffer like this and my hat goes off to all those who do. Tell her hello from me please!

PFDANS

Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #30 on: Dec 8th, 2007, 10:41pm »

on Dec 3rd, 2007, 4:11pm, brewcrew wrote:
Lithium = nothing.

Prednisone = Just try whining within 20 yards of me...I'll rip off your head and shit down your neck.

Grin

lmao.......i will eat your first born then your car

good luck
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Corinakitty
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #31 on: Dec 20th, 2007, 4:43am »

I was on Lithium for a few months to treat my bipolar disorder (My DH is the clusterhead in the house). I didn't have any trouble with mood swings but I had to pee about fifty times a day and my husband finally begged me to ask the doc for another drug after I developed a rather strange side-effect: Fish Breath. My breath smelled like fish, and NOTHING from Listerine to eating a dead cat would cover up the fish smell.  
Lamictal ended up being a better solution for my bipolar. Maybe it would work for your CH? I was just reading another thread on here that suggests it...
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #32 on: Dec 20th, 2007, 11:08am »

I developed a rather strange side-effect: Fish Breath. My breath smelled like fish, and NOTHING from Listerine to eating a dead cat would cover up the fish smell.

And I've been under the impression my wife was avoiding me because I was grumpy in cycle.... Embarassed....dang...

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #33 on: Dec 20th, 2007, 11:45am »

So, I can stop eating dead cats now?
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #34 on: Dec 20th, 2007, 5:52pm »

on Dec 20th, 2007, 4:43am, Corinakitty wrote:
I was on Lithium for a few months to treat my bipolar disorder (My DH is the clusterhead in the house). I didn't have any trouble with mood swings but I had to pee about fifty times a day and my husband finally begged me to ask the doc for another drug after I developed a rather strange side-effect: Fish Breath. My breath smelled like fish, and NOTHING from Listerine to eating a dead cat would cover up the fish smell.

Curious - lecithin (an emulsifier from soy) can cause the same fish breath symptom if taken in large doses. Lecithin is phosphatidyl choline.  Lithium raises choline levels.  And choline levels are quite low in people with CH.  Choline is the essential building block of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine.  

Probably just a coincidence.  

--------------------------------

O. Pleul1 and B. Müller-Oerlinghausen1
(1)  Institut für Klinische Pharmakologie and Psychiatrische Klinik, Freie Universität Berlin, Berlin, Germany

Received: 24 February 1986  Accepted: 1 August 1986  
Summary  In 17 lithium-treated patients with manic-depressive disorders and 11 healthy subjects the concentrations of choline, phosphorylcholine, cytidyldiphosphate choline, lipid bound choline, and glycerophosphorylcholine were measured in plasma and erythrocytes. Plasma levels of high density, low density, and very low density lipoproteins were also estimated as well as the concentrations of 4 free fatty acids. Free choline (more than 10-fold) and phosphorylcholine (2-fold) were significantly increased in erythrocytes of lithium-treated patients as compared to the healthy untreated controls. Differences in the other substrates were not significant. Osmotic resistance of the erythrocytes was not changed during lithium treatment. Inhibition of the choline flux across the erythrocyte membrane in vitro from lithium-treated patients was not abolished by equilibration of the concentration gradient. It is concluded that the accumulation of choline in erythrocytes from patients on lithium therapy may be due to trapping of lipid derived choline because of an alteration in membrane permeability and not to increased breakdown of phosphatidylcholine.

---------------------------------------------

Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1984 Jan 28;288(6413):268-70
    Erythrocyte choline concentrations and cluster headache.
    de Belleroche J, Cook GE, Das I, Joseph R, Tresidder I, Rouse S, Petty R, Clifford Rose FC.

Erythrocyte choline concentrations were measured in patients with cluster headache and age related control subjects. Concentrations were significantly reduced in the patients with headache both during a cluster period and between clusters, being 58% and 55% of the control value, respectively. After two weeks' treatment with lithium, choline concentrations in the patients with cluster headache increased to 78 times the control value (mean 369.2 mumol/l (3840 micrograms/100 ml) compared with 4.7 mumol/l (49 micrograms/100 ml]. The presence of depressed erythrocyte choline concentrations during and between cluster attacks indicates that this may be a predisposing condition which results in a cluster attack only when associated with a trigger factor.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2007, 6:06pm by monty » IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss