Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 18th, 2024, 1:15am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Has depakote worked for anyone???? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Has depakote worked for anyone????
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Has depakote worked for anyone????  (Read 282 times)
SusanM
New Board Newbie

Email

Has depakote worked for anyone????
« on: Apr 12th, 2002, 3:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My dr is started my on depakote today...250mg twice a day.  I'm scared of the side effects I've been hearing about...but we've tried almost everything else.  I'm hitting the desperate stage now.  This cycle has been going on for 16 weeks now...and mine usually only last 4-6 weeks.  I can't afford to miss anymore work (been out almost 3 weeks on this one) and missed a week and a half earlier last month.  

If anyone has any glimmer of hope with depakote...Please let me know!
What can I expect??

SusanM
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Has depakote worked for anyone????
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12th, 2002, 4:45pm »

Hi Susan,

Last time I tried depakote was in 1998.  I didn't have any luck with it, but it has worked for others.  I wish you much luck.  Hang in there! Kim
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 12th, 2002, 5:10pm »

Sorry Susan - I too did not have any luck with Depakote - alot of weight gain and did nothing for the ch's.......

There are many though that it has helped.....keep the faith and hope you feel better soon.

NotH20
IP Logged
SusanM
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 12th, 2002, 5:25pm »

Is there anyone who hasn't experienced weight gain?
I can't have that happen!....personal reasons!    
(to put it another way...had some surgery done about 9 mos. ago..if you know what I mean).

Seriously, I am very concerned about weight gain!
And worried about the nightmares and mood probs!

Help!
I hope someone has some positive outlook on this med!
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13th, 2002, 9:28am »

Susan, try to go into this with a positive outlook (i know how hard that is)....but there are meds that work on some ch'ers and some that don't.....this just may be the one thing that works for you.  Keep the faith and don't close the door - postivie outlooks always help in the long run.

Good luck to you,
NotH20
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 13th, 2002, 9:52am »

Susan, I agree...don't listen to all the failures of depakote...I am on depakene...when i was taking 500mg per day, I was having less attacks and few side effects...It was upped a few days ago, and the chs got worse and the side effects increased...so my neuro reduced the dose yesterday...I thought long and hard about stopping it yesterday and going on aricept..but I don't feel like I have given it a fair chance to work yet..As far as weight gain, I went on the high protein diet when I started depakene and have lost 5 pounds...so weight is something you can work on...need any help with diet, let me know...i am losing not gaining...good luck ,sis...what does not work for others, may work for us..hang in there.. Cheesy
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 20th, 2002, 6:11pm »

Susan, update on depakote...i am now ondepakote sr, verap and getting ready to add Doxepin...I can definetly say things are looking up...dont want to speak too soon but I think it may be working...Have had two good days now with only one ch. beats the 3 to 5 per day I was having....and have lost 12 pounds...Hope all is well with you... Cheesy
IP Logged
Linda T
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20th, 2002, 6:18pm »

Nancy:  happy to hear you are having luck and feeling better.  Just goes to show what works for one doesn't work for the other.

I am off the depakote and now on inderal.  I haven't read too much positive about it but some people have responded to me in a positive manner.  I'm trying it out but so far no change.  I still have hope.  After all, without hope what have we got? LOL.

Wishing you continued PFDAN always, Linda T.
IP Logged

What a long, strange trip it's been!
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20th, 2002, 6:24pm »

You are so rite, sis...see Inderal did not work for me...verap worked alone for me for about 6 months or longer..then it stopped...this is a good example of  that old saying about what is good for the goose ....hell, i cant even remember it...see what being a granny does to you LOL...even a young granny. lol..  Keep us posted on how you do , Linda T.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss