Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 18th, 2024, 6:17am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Do You Stop the Meds When The Pains Stop? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Do You Stop the Meds When The Pains Stop?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Do You Stop the Meds When The Pains Stop?  (Read 303 times)
Sweet_Landings
New Board Veteran

Beware of the Dumb side of the Force!

SweetLandings
Email

Do You Stop the Meds When The Pains Stop?
« on: Apr 20th, 2002, 11:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am new so forgive my ignorance...Do y'all stop taking the meds when the CH's stop?  Mine haven't stopped so this concept really hasn't occurred to me until I saw a few postings referencing this issue.

How do you know when it is the end of a cycle?  I had two pain free days, Dec. 18 & 19, 2001. But then on the 20th it was raging again.  

I am thinking I am in a little different boat because of the Trigeminal Neuralgia.  My CH's started about 5 weeks after the TN started (Sept. 2001).  

Has anyone taken Tegretol?  The Drs said that it was a calcium blocker like Valerapim.  I am taking both and have been since Sept. 2001.  What dosage of the Valerapim is normal?  I am up taking 180mg daily of the Valerapim.  Shouldn't it have stopped some of this pain after all these months?  I know that I can take up to 1800mg of the Tegretol, but am at 600mg daily right now.  Dr will probably increase that in the next week or so since the pain hasn't stopped.

I also take 50-100mg of Trazadone nightly to help me sleep.  Depends on the amount of pain I am in.  I have more nights when I sleep thru the pain but my husband finds me sleeping on my stomach, holding my head, so I think the Trazadone at the higher dose just knocks me out. ( Which is fine with me)

One other question...and this is rather embarrassing...Do any of you snore, I mean REALLY snore?  Some nights you can hear me in the living room, with the TV on and the Bedroom door shut.  (I am blushing now LOL) I never did this before. It is a real big joke around here with the kids.  Is there something I can do to stop it, I worry about the amount of sleep my hubby is losing?
IP Logged

Sweet_Landings
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

Re: Do You Stop the Meds When The Pains Stop?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21st, 2002, 9:22am »

All I can tell you is I wish I had never stopped taking verapamil at one time...the next time i took it, it did not work alone..having to add more meds now...if i was episodic again, and a med worked for me, i would NOT stop taking it...dont care what anyone said lol...as for the snoring...i dont know...i live alone and my puppy Toby wont tell me if i snore.lol....i do know that i have trouble breathing at nite when i lie down...my new neuro is putting me in the hospital may 10th as she says my airway is much too narrow...she does not know how i am breathing...they will do a sleep study and possible surgery to enlarge my airway...sounds like you may need a sleep study done.
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21st, 2002, 9:30am »

Hi Sweet Landing,  i'm not at all familiar with TN.  But for cluster headaches, a lot of the medications need to be tapered off.  It can be dangerous to just stop taking them, so you need to have communication with your doctor.  As far as knowing when your cycle is over, well i can only speak for me, but i just feel better and better.  The attacks just kind of peter out.  I am celebrating 1 straight week with no ch and no shadow.  I am pretty confident that my cycle has ended, however still taking my meds and staying in touch with the doctor.   If this week goes well, then I will talk to my doctor about tapering off the medication.
As for the snooring, yep.  I snoore too.  LOUD.  When the cycle is over and i'm feelin better, the snooring situation improves significantly. Wink  My family tape recorded me one time cuz I told them "I WAS NOT SNOORING!" LOL  
Good luck to you.  Also, there is lots of info about medications if you explore the buttons to the left of the screen.  Smiles, Kim
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 21st, 2002, 9:34am »

Kim. that is great news..End of cycle..glad things are better for you, sis...hang in there and keep us posted... ;D
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 21st, 2002, 9:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Sweet,

I'm sorry to hear that you suffer from both, CH and TN. However, I think there is no close connection between the two, other than both involve the trigeminal nerve.

About your meds:
Carbamazepine (Tegretol) is an anticonvulsant and specific analgesic for trigeminal neuralgia. It does nothing at all against CH (as many clusterheads can tell that were prescribed it, due to misdiagnosis or ignorance).

Verapamil is a calcium channel blocker, an entirely different class than Tegretol.  Verapamil is the preventative of first choice for CH, but your dose of 180 mg is very low for CH. You should talk to your doc to up it. If taken at a high enough dose, it does dampen the attacks very much and may even suppress them completely. I'm taking 560 mg Verapamil per day and I didn't have an attack above Kip #3 since I'm on that dose.  

Trazodone HCl (Desyrel) is an antidepressant and has been used by some against CH. Maybe somebody else can tell you about its usefulness.

Have you considered oxygen to abort a CH attack?  Many have great success with it, and the side effects are practically non existent.

Finally, a humble request about your (and many other's) spelling of med names. Please double-check it with the printing on the package, otherwise it is difficult to impossible for others what you are taking about. The fuzzy name search of http://www.rxlist.com/ is very tolerant to misspellings, but for "Valerapim" it found only something similar sounding used for bladder cancer and Google returned 0 hits Roll Eyes

PFNAD's
Ueli
IP Logged
oringkid

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 21st, 2002, 10:32am »

Trazodone is an old anti-depressant that due to its side effect of extreme drowsiness is now mostly prescribed as a sleep aid.
IP Logged
Sweet_Landings
New Board Veteran

SweetLandings
Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 21st, 2002, 12:10pm »

So basically the only thing that I am taking to help with the CH's is the Verapamil ( BTW sorry about the spelling before, I was tired and hurting) and using the Migranol when I can tell that it is a CH and not TN.  And apparently I am not taking enough of that to do much good.  

I am scheduled to see a nuerologist in June and certainly hope that he will do something more to help me.

Thank you for the input.  There is so much that I have yet to learn about these disorders.  I have had a hard time up until now finding anything other than vague information about CH.
IP Logged

Sweet_Landings
Greg_A

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 21st, 2002, 3:44pm »

Sweet Landings-- thats a long time to wait to see the neurologist. Especially if your in that much pain.  

Wonder if you can get to your normal doc and see if he can hook you up with a little O2 to get you some relief while your waiting for Jun to come around?

I started O2 last monday and have had nothing but good pain free days... (after being severly chronic for 7 yrs) I feel like i'm reborn..

btw... i guess the common dose of O2 is 6-8 liters per minute. If your doc hooks you up, make sure your regulator has that flow rate.

Good luck...
IP Logged
Linda T
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 21st, 2002, 3:54pm »

Hi Sweet:  About stopping the meds:

I usually wait about 30 days pf before I start the med taper.  I guess I'm just superstitious.  I know this will sound stupid but somehow I always knew the difference between the meds actually working and the end of a cycle.  When the cycle ends I just have this really good feeling kinda like you forgot how good it felt to be completely pf. There is really no way I can describe it but I bet there are alot of people who know what I mean anyway.

Good luck and PFDAN always, Linda T
IP Logged

What a long, strange trip it's been!
Ted
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 21st, 2002, 4:00pm »

on Apr 21st, 2002, 3:44pm, Greg_A wrote:
btw... i guess the common dose of O2 is 6-8 liters per minute.

8-10 l p/m
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2002, 4:03pm by Ted » IP Logged
Sweet_Landings
New Board Veteran

SweetLandings
Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 21st, 2002, 5:33pm »

I will call my regular doctor and ask him about the O2.  I am supposed to see him on Tuesday.  Thanks for the advice, I hope it helps.  

I would really like my life back.
IP Logged

Sweet_Landings
Greg_A

Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 21st, 2002, 5:56pm »

Sweet-- let us know what happens.

Ted-- ooops, i knew that. I've been reading too much info on the smaller tanks. I want to find something that i can keep with me.

Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss