Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 7:20pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Any experience with Inderal and Indocin? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Any experience with Inderal and Indocin?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Any experience with Inderal and Indocin?  (Read 304 times)
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

Any experience with Inderal and Indocin?
« on: Mar 8th, 2003, 1:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I just got snatched off Verap and Maxalt and put on Inderal and Indocin by an ER doc.  Chronic sufferer with my first HA free day in 11 days.  Of course, the day is not over yet.   Undecided  Anyway, I am curious if anyone has tried these meds.  I just would like to know what I am in for.  Also, doc gave me Darvocet for pain...umm, sounds like a narc to me.  I consider this all as temporary as I have not had my Neuro referral approved yet.  Oh well, I'd appreciate any feedback about this.
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
amber
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Any experience with Inderal and Indocin?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 8th, 2003, 2:03pm »

an ER doc changed your meds?  he seems mighty high on himself...

I think anything with "cet" is narc but I'm glad you're having a good day Cheesy

as far as the drugs ..have you looked them up on the rxlist.com thingy yet?
amber
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 8th, 2003, 3:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Prense,

That ER doc is a moron who didn't do his home work.  Angry

Inderal (a beta blocker) has some success as a preventative for meegraines, a clusterhead usually gets from it only the nasty side effects (which are much worse than from verapamil). To repeat: Verapamil is the CH preventative of first choice, while beta blockers are for meegraners.

Indocin (Indomethacin) is the wonder drug for CPH, a clusterhead gets from it more likely stomach trouble than help for CH.

http://www.rxlist.com/ says that Darvocet is indicated for the relief of mild to moderate pain, hardly a description of a cluster attack. As it is a narcotic you'll rather get high than pain relieve, and don't forget addiction.  Sad

PFNADs
Ueli
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 8th, 2003, 3:27pm »

I've tried darvocet.  Too weak to get you high and also doesn't touch a cluster.  Man, a narcotic that's not even good for recreational use!

I'd just save the darvon for tension headaches.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2003, 3:28pm by Bob P » IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
jonny

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 8th, 2003, 3:29pm »

I used Indo for many years as an abortive, it worked in less than 20 mins but the down side of taking it was it was a suppositorie (But hey, it worked) now I use Zomig cause they stopped making Indo in supp form.

...............................jonny

BTW: The ER docs a moron like Ueli said.
IP Logged
suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Love is friendship set on fire

suzy617
Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 8th, 2003, 4:53pm »

I tried Inderal 2 years ago and it kept my ha's to a shadow but this past year they did absolutely nothing for me. Will be trying something different next time around.

suzy
IP Logged

When God measures men, He puts the tape around the heart, not the head.
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 8th, 2003, 5:42pm »

Well, I'll definately have to agree on the ER doc not doing her homework, but I honestly could not have expected more from an ER.  This too was admitted by the doc as well.  At any rate, she did a CT and drew blood to attempt to rule out any other possibilities.  The meds she put me on, I started taking today, but I didn't have a HA when I awoke either.  So, who knows...still today is my first PF day in 11 days.

My "normal" doc, who originally put me on verap in the first place has never ran any tests whatsoever.  Ummm, not even a vision test.  When I called in my referral request on wednesday for a neuro, the nurse stated that I have not seen my PCM for CHs yet, so they could not do a referral.  Well, I had no idea the doc that put me on this crap wasn't my PCM to begin with!  Anyway, I told this nurse that I wasn't about to go describing all this again to anyone, but she was more than welcome to review everything in my records as it is all there.  Well, yesterday prior to going to the ER, I attempted to get an appt with my PCM to hopefully obtain some sort of relief in this nightmare...of course, she had no openings.  So, out of desperation...knowing what to expect, I went to the ER, and the rest is history.

Honestly, I don't care if a doc is a tard or not...just end the misery.  I haven't taken the darvocet yet...haven't needed to.  I am supposed to have a follow-up with my PCM in 10 days...we shall see.  Thanks for the answers though to my question!
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
HypnoticFreddy

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 8th, 2003, 8:01pm »

Darvocet or Darvon are weak opiate antagonsists. If I take maybe 5 or 6 on an empty stomach I may catch a "narc" buzz. Not good for treatment of CHs though.
Emergency doctors are not trained at all it seems for CH sufferrers. Last time they gave me Roxicet (yum yum). Sucks for the CHs, but happy as hell on an empty stomach. Yeeeeeehaaaaaawwww.

The Freddy meister.
IP Logged
DeansGirl

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11th, 2003, 4:23pm »

on Mar 8th, 2003, 3:12pm, Ueli wrote:
Prense,

That ER doc is a moron who didn't do his home work.  Angry

Inderal (a beta blocker) has some success as a preventative for meegraines, a clusterhead usually gets from it only the nasty side effects (which are much worse than from verapamil). To repeat: Verapamil is the CH preventative of first choice, while beta blockers are for meegraners.

HA!  I suspected as much.  I've been researching and can only find evidence that inderal is a 'miscellaneous' drug given after the first three groups of drugs have been tried and have failed.  My guy received inderal from his family doc last summer during an episode, and it seemed to stop it.  It has done nothing but lower his blood pressure since then.  I'm hoping we can get him onto verapamil before the next episode starts (sorry, hon, wish it would NEVER come back).

Episodics, are you taking verapamil during your PF remissions?  Or does your dosage start as soon as the episode starts?  Please advise.

Thanks Ueli!!!
DeansGirl
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss