Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 5:53pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « A word about Axert »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   A word about Axert
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A word about Axert  (Read 269 times)
Cory
New Board Newbie

You're so $$$

A word about Axert
« on: Mar 14th, 2003, 1:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Everyone,

I have had episodic CH since 1996. I have tried numerous meds (approx 10-15) over the years, and have only had success with the dreaded Prednisone. My clusters usually last for about two months, returning at intervals of approximately 12 months. This past remission was the longest...since Aug 2001 until now. This past Sunday nite, the CH returned -- ugh!

Anyway, I waited to visit my doctor until Wed (wanted to make sure the cluster was taking hold - it was). I was given 12.5mg Axert tablets as a test, and a prescription for my usual Prednisone. Of course I filled the Prednisone immediatley, knowing that it has always worked in the past. Just after my appt. and a run to the drug store (Wed - 2pm), I started getting a CH (Kip 6-7). I tried the first of the Axert pills (along with the standard pacing and rubbing ritual)...within 15 mins the CH was gone!!!

Fearing the return, I waited all night and didn't want to sleep, just in case. I was saving the Prednisone, in case the Axert didn't work -- as I really wanted to give them a fair trial before resorting to my usual. I finally went to sleep at 5:30am (this morning). I woke up at noon -- a little confused as to why the beast hadn't returned. At 1pm, I had a small shadow (Kip 1)...again at 2. 2:30pm and I feel the first stages of the beast coming back (Kip 1 - Kip 2), so I started to worry a little. I took the second of the Axert and the beast never came!!!

Stunned, I called my doctor and had a prescription called in for some more Axert. They really seem to be working, not only as an abortive, but as a preventative too!!! It's now 2am and the beast has yet to return. I am feeling so good -- only two 12.5mg (TINY) Axert pills in two days and no CH since!!! The pharmacy didn't have the Axert, so I can't pick them up until tomorrow (Fri) around 4pm -- hope it's in time.

My fingers are crossed, my hopes are up. Hopefully, I finally have found an alternative to the Prednisone. The only downside is they are very expensive -- about $13/pill here. I recently retired and my insurance has run out -- searching for a new plan as I write this. Bottom line -- it's well worth the cost so far.

Will keep you all updated on the progress with the Axert.

Cheers and Hugs for you all,

Cory
IP Logged
Cory
New Board Newbie

You're so $$$

Re: A word about Axert
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15th, 2003, 4:46pm »

Here's an update:

After I wrote the previous message, I had another CH at 4am (had just fallen asleep). No meds to take, so I had to ride out the Kip 8. Guess it's not going to work as a preventative.

Anyway, I got the prescription filled at 4pm as promised, so I was ready. CH started coming on at 6pm, took an Axert and the beast went away quicky (never went past a Kip 2). I went to sleep at 3am, only to be awakened at 6am with a Kip 7. Took another...within 5-7 mins I could lay back down without having to rub my temple/head, and within 10-12 mins it was gone -- fell right back asleep.

None since, but I have the Axert ready. It's so nice to not have to use the Prednisone so far...as long as this Axert keeps killing the beast before it starts raging, then I will be happy to stay with this program.

Will keep you all updated,

C
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: A word about Axert
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15th, 2003, 6:18pm »

Yup, I find axert works nice for me as well.  I find it takes about 30min. to kick in and keeps the beast away for two hours until my next ha starts.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss