Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 6:38pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Indocin no good for CH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Indocin no good for CH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Indocin no good for CH  (Read 305 times)
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

Indocin no good for CH
« on: Mar 27th, 2003, 8:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This from Cephalgia:

The interval between indomethacin administration and clinical response may be extremely relevant in the assessment of chronic paroxysmal hemicrania (CPH) and other unilateral headache disorders like cluster headache (CH), with which CPH can be confounded. Indomethacin is inactive in CH; however, in some anecdotal reports in recent years, doubt has been cast on the ineffectiveness of indomethacin in CH. In this study, we have re-assessed the effect of indomethacin treatment in a group of 18 patients with episodic CH (three females and 15 males). From the day 8 of the active period, indomethacin 100 mg i.m. was administered every 12 h, for 2 consecutive days, in an open fashion. The mean daily attack frequency before the test (1.6 ± 0.6) was not statistically different from that on day 1 (2.1 ± 0.9) and day 2 (1.9 ± 0.Cool after indomethacin administration. The mean interval between indomethacin injection and the following attack (day 1 and day 2) was 4.6 + 1.1 h. We did not observe any refractory period in any patient after indomethacin. Since the 'expected' attack occurred when there theoretically could have been a protective effect after indomethacin administration, it can be reasonably assumed that there is no such protective effect. The use of a test dose of 100 mg i.m. indomethacin (INDOTEST) appears to provide a clear-cut answer in this situation. It may be a useful tool for a proper clinical assessment of unilateral headache with relatively short-lasting attacks when problems of classification arise. A correct diagnosis of CPH or CH is important, since a CPH diagnosis may imply a lifelong treatment with a potentially noxious drug.  
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
talitha
New Board Newbie

Walking by faith

Email

Re: Indocin no good for CH
« Reply #1 on: Apr 6th, 2003, 6:41pm »

Hey Bob, Talitha here.  Finally got my O2 and non-rebreather mask! What a difference.  Stops the mid range CH in about 5-8 minutes.  On Covera HS 360 mg a day also.  However, the headaches are still here.  When I first started taking the Covera (verapamil in a fancy tablet with little holes in it  Roll Eyes the neuro also put me on Indocin.  that lasted for 4 weeks the headaches did stop.  Stopped taking Indocin-headaches are back...could be a coincidence but I think I'll check into getting more.  Or, perhaps I have an axis (of evil?!) problem and I could just get my head screwed on straight by some guy who can't write, spell or reason his way out of a hospital gown.
pain free days and nights to you!
talitha
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 6th, 2003, 9:28pm »

Or maybe you have CPH and not CH.  Indocine is almost 100% effective for CPH and it is more of a female malady where CH is more male.  Worth a try to take it again.
IP Logged

"SHUT UP HUB!"
talitha
New Board Newbie

Walking by faith

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 7th, 2003, 6:36pm »

Now thats a possibility.although the headaches have very classic CH presentation...when i was first diagnosed 20 years ago the neuro said the only thing that wasn't classic was the fact that I'm not male Roll Eyes
have always been a gender bender that way...
thanks for all your input on this site Bob
Talitha
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 8th, 2003, 8:24am »

Well CPH does present very similar to CH.  Only difference is that the attacks are shorter but more frequent.  The pain, tears, runny nose, etc. are all the same.
IP Logged

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss