Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 6:25pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Amitriptyline as preventative »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Amitriptyline as preventative
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Amitriptyline as preventative  (Read 269 times)
William_Bellas

Email

Amitriptyline as preventative
« on: Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have had been taking Amitriptyline (Elavil) as a preventative.  I take 75 mg at bedtime, and do it evey night during the cycle.  It has had the effect of completely halting a cycle, to making the headaches I do get in other cycles much less severe and less numerous.  It also seems to knock out r.e.m. sleep, and so I wake up dog tired.  Has anyone else been prescribed with this medication?
IP Logged
maggie_may
New Board Veteran
USA 

maggie_may_12   ladydeth12
Email

Re: Amitriptyline as preventative
« Reply #1 on: Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My GP gave me amitriptyline two years ago - though it wasn't used to prevent headaches, instead for a sleeping disorder.  Unfortunately, I can't say that it did anything for my headaches, as they still came with the same frequency and strength, but it did allow me to sleep.  They stopped working for that reason within 4 months.
IP Logged

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Mahatma Gandhi

The human spirit is stronger than anything that happens to it. - C.C. Scott
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:47am »

I took it for 2 nights but woke up so groggy the following mornings that I quit taking it.  I've since been told that you adjust to the dopey feeling.  I do know a fellow who swears that elavil is the only thing that ever stopped his clusters.  He went almost 10 years with no headches before smoking gave him cancer and offed him.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
amber
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:25pm »

I've been on different levels of elavil (real name of it) for years.  Doesn't seem to do a damn thing.  The groggy does not fade away as much at that dosage, and you may find yourself hungry for sweets.  I did and it's actually a side effect of the medication.  Gained a crapload of weight....

Although I think some of that had to do with being in chronic pain and the possibility of hypothalamus out of whack.  It does, after all, tell us when we are full.  I just never could get full.

*shrug*

Amber
IP Logged
Seiji
New Board Newbie
USA 

live long and pain free

1278053 1278053   tango36025  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 2nd, 2003, 3:00pm »

That was one of the first drugs perscribed for me. Just like you all have said it makes you feel hung over the next day and it also made me constipated. Felt like i was trying to poop rocks.
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 2nd, 2003, 6:25pm »

Quote:
Felt like i was trying to poop rocks

Is that anything like shitting bricks?
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Linda T
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 3rd, 2003, 7:48pm »

Used elavil for 2 of my cycles and, at the time, I thought it worked.  Third cycle it did nothing.  I was only taking 50 mg but I was on it for about 3 months.

Good luck.  Glad it works for you.  ]

Wishing you PFDAN always, Linda T
IP Logged

What a long, strange trip it's been!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss