Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 18th, 2024, 7:09am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « ACUPUNCTURE »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   ACUPUNCTURE
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ACUPUNCTURE  (Read 388 times)
caddy
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

ACUPUNCTURE
« on: Jun 29th, 2003, 5:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I HAVE SUFFERED FROM CH FOR OVER 20 YEARS AND THE VERY THOUGHT OF THEM RETURNING IS HORRIFYING. I HAVE JUST BEEN THROUGH AN EPISODE FOR THE LAST 6 WEEKS. YOU TEND TO FORGET WHAT THEY ARE LIKE UNTIL THEY COME BACK. ANYWAY I VISITED A CHINESE DOCTOR AND HAD ACUPUNCTURE, I HAVE HAD THIS IN THE PAST BUT IT WAS UNSECCSESSFUL. BUT I MUST TELL YOU THAT THIS ONE WORKED!!! I HAD IT ON THE THURSDAY, HAD ONE CH ON FRIDAY, 5 ON SATURDAY, 1 ON SUNDAY, A SHADOW ON MON, TUE, WED, AND HAVE NOT HAD ONE SINCE. BRILLIANT. I KNOW THESE THINGS DONT WORK FOR ALL BUT I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD LET YOU KNOW OF MY SUCCESS. FROPM CADDY
IP Logged
iJun G4
New Board Junior

Re: ACUPUNCTURE
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29th, 2003, 9:50am »

Hi caddy, welcome to the <new> board.

Glad acupuncture has worked!  As I've said, just because the procedure fails once does not put acupuncture itself in doubt.  It may not necessarily work for everyone.  But it has great potential, based on testimony by people like yourself.

Would you mind sharing more details, perhaps shedding light on why it worked this time and not the first?  Did you go back to the same acupuncturist?  Did you tell them that you had cluster?  What part of the body did they use?  What was the cost?  Have you scheduled follow-up visits to avoid future cycles?

Also, do us a favor and please drop the ALL CAPS.

Thanks.

IP Logged

=====
Clusterheads are warriors who fight unbearable pain every day to stay alive.
Marc
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 29th, 2003, 9:55am »

Caddy,

To be honest I'm a skeptic of acupuncture as a treatment for CH's.  I'm not close minded, just skeptical.  

You commented that you have just been through a six week cycle - how do you determine that the cycle wasn't ending on its own? I've posed this question to several other treatments being reported here, so I'm not picking on you personally  Grin

Whatever the reason, I'm glad that you got some relief!

Marc
IP Logged
caddy
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 1st, 2003, 9:10am »

In reply to Marc, I have never had a cluster episode for less than 12 weeks before so am pretty sure that it was the acupuncture that helped.  
this time I went to a chinese Dr. it cost £10.00 for the consultation and £25.00 for the acupuncture and massage, a small price to pay for being pain free. The last one I went to about 18 years ago was a local man from the area, I also tried to pack up smoking with acupuncture but that too failed.
I really dont know if the acupuncture was the reason my CH stopped, but I was over the moon when they did so just felt I wanted to share my expereince.
IP Logged
dellp
New Board Junior

Life is simple, just not easy

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 1st, 2003, 9:20am »

Hey caddy,

Congratulations on your success. Hope it works for you as well as it worked for me (2-7 years between cycles.)

I have been trying to find out, especially from those who have had success, which technique was used. My only success has been through the Five Element technique as taught by Dr. Worsley. Could you please ask your acupuncturist about his technique and let me/us know his answer?

Thanks and wishing you continued success,
Dell
IP Logged

The hell with 'love' everybody - how 'bout just respect for everybody

Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you.

"I am what I am and dat's all what I am.": Popeye the sailor man
Nick-Nova
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Jul 1st, 2003, 1:51pm »

My mother has been a sufferer for 30 years now, and of late been having them every day for couple months. We were not able to treat her with local acupuncture doctor.  Mayhaps there is different methods, if you perchance think of it, ask your doctor what procedure he went through, and what areas he concentrated most on...Thank you (am VERY glad to hear your CH gone).
IP Logged
MCK

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 7th, 2003, 4:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Caddy,

I am also trying acupuncture.  I go for my 9th time tomorrow.  After this I have to take a break for 3-4 weeks.  My acupunturist said it is not something you can do continuously.  I have not suffered long from ch long (compared to most).  I started last July but the cycle never ended.  I was pain free for 5-6 days in February when I was taking 5-6 pills a day of prednisone.  Since I have never ended a cycle I don't know what happens.  Side track: Can someone tell me when a cycle ends do the headaches just stop altogether? Or what have some people experienced?
Back to my acupuncture experience.  I have gone once a week for 8 weeks.  I had to cancel last weeks appt.  There was no sudden change the first week except that I did have one night without pain.  At that time my average was 4-5 headaches a day lasting about an hour to 1 1/2 hours each and from 8-10 on the kip scale..  I was on verapamil, melatonin and imitrex shots.  After my 2nd visit the change was dramatic.  I no longer had pain during the night and I experienced only 1-2 CH a day.  They lasted anywhere from 15-45 minutes and only 3-5 on the kip scale.  The last two weeks however they seem to be creeping back in intensity.  I still only have 1-2 a day but they usually last 45 minutes and are anywhere from 5-7 on the kip scale.  I also experienced 2 nights were I woke up in pain.  I also stopped taking all medication after my 2nd week.  All in all to able to sleep during the night has been wonderful.  I am a little afraid to take a break.  If they continue as is I would be thankful.  I usually receive 6 needles.  One at the top of my head, two around my left eye (middle of eybrow & top of check underneath eye), one between my eyes, and one on each hand between thumb and pointer finger.  Everyother time he puts one in each leg, inside by ankles.   They are left in for 30-40 minutes.  After they are all in he goes back and twists each needle until I feel a tingle.  After the he comes back 2 more times and twists them all again.
IP Logged
caddy
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 8th, 2003, 3:40pm »

Hi MCK

Glad to hear your getting some relieve from the accupunture, all be it a little.
You sound like a cronic sufferer where as I am an episode so can get breaks for up to two-four years I dont think I could cope with having them all the time with no break. I feel like I'm quite lucky compared to you.

As I am writing this, I am actually having a shadow, it's lurking in the back ground, I thought I had truly beat the beast, but obviously it's bigger then me and can keep coming back to haunt me.
Still I must feel somewhat lucky as I have had a fortnight free apart from one last Wednesday.

I will probably go back and have another treatment and see if I can beat the bugger, I must say, that now I am positive it was the accupuncture, so will spend more money on travel and treatment.

You asked "do they just stop" well in my case, yes but in cronic I'm not sure, perhaps someone else can answer that, someone who has cronic.

Anyway I wish you all the best in your quest and your treatment, keep on believing!!!!!

See you. Caddy
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 8th, 2003, 5:29pm »

Very very glad you both are feeling better.  

Did acupuncture have anything to do with it? I suspect only by coincidence. You're not alone in this of course and I would have painted myself blue and howled at the moon if I thought it would help. That I didn't is because I had better evidence from the board and medicine(MDs).  

I'm more than happy for you but don't put all your eggs in this rather leaky basket.

Charlie

« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2003, 5:36pm by Charlie » IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
caddy
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 9th, 2003, 11:27am »

Thanks for checking in Charlie,

I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket, that would be very silly, and after suffering for over 20 years  I think I may have some idea about what works for me and what does'nt, but over this I think that maybe I may have found what I have been looking for. Even if it's short term, anything is worth the relief from this terrible pain. I have had two weeks free, apart from one full blown and one shadow, so obviously, I'm still in an episode, because when they go they go for a couple of years.  
Anyway nice to see that you are interested and I'm glad you can believe the MD's, you must have better ones where you are!
Caddy
IP Logged
iJun G4
New Board Junior

« Reply #10 on: Jul 11th, 2003, 4:45am »

charlie dude,

if you're disbelieving and don't want to try it for yourself, that's fine.  

i tried acupuncture last week and the difference before and after were night and day.  i had almost one whole  pain-free week after just the first treatment; the beast is coming back slowly but steadily now so i'm going back in tomorrow.

after 18 years of ch, i'm kicking myself for not trying this earlier.

there's no coincidences w/ ch smack in the middle of a cycle; the beast just doesn't randomly choose to go away for a while.  

you don't have to believe us; we'll just go on w/ our pain-free lives, might not even have to come back here for a LONG time.

IP Logged

=====
Clusterheads are warriors who fight unbearable pain every day to stay alive.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss