Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 10:51pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hypothyroid Symptoms when Cluster Cycle begins? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hypothyroid Symptoms when Cluster Cycle begins?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hypothyroid Symptoms when Cluster Cycle begins?  (Read 3903 times)
kbbogo1
New Board Newbie

Hypothyroid Symptoms when Cluster Cycle begins?
« on: Aug 11th, 2003, 9:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I did a search on the hypothalamus gland and thyroid with not too much results.  Since many believe that the hypothalamus gland is associated with clusters, and hypothalamus gland is also associated with the thyroid - does anyone else also experience hypothyroid symptoms with an episodic cluster cycle?  It seems that every time, before I get my clusters again, I experience depression, being lethargic, hair loss, no concentration, among other "hypothyroid symptoms".  When I go to the doctor for this, he automatically thinks it is my thyroid causing the problem, but my blood tests come back within the normal range.  (However, my metabolic rate drops dramatically, from around 1765 down to around 1350.)  I told my doctor that my clusters started acting up again shortly after these symptoms began, but he apparently didn't see any relation.  I would love to here from anyone on this topic - whether you, too, have these symptoms or even if you think I am off my rocker!  

Thanks
Kim B
IP Logged
godsjoy
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Hypothyroid Symptoms when Cluster Cycle begins
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11th, 2003, 6:36pm »

I think you might have something there...I have similar symptoms right before and during my episodes....Last time the Dr. upped my synthroid as well....don't know if it is related.....but .....something to investigate I think.
Karen
IP Logged

Think as one of action...
Act as one of thought
and pray...pray....pray...
5-string
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Nothing is accomplished without passion

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 11th, 2003, 6:47pm »

I have a hypothyriod as well. I never that that the 2 were related.
 how many other ch. people have this connection? I was diagnosed with it around the time my headaches started. about 4 years ago.
 Mark
IP Logged
jminmilwaukee
New Board Old Timer

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12th, 2003, 8:25am »

This could be a trigger from some that kicks off a new cycle? Athough I get depressed a bit prior to an episode it is normally due to knowing it is coming. No hair loss or other symptoms you mentioned until well into the cycle (pull out my hair while banging my head with a brick!).

Again, worth looking into as it could be a symptom or a trigger for some.

Jmin
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 12th, 2003, 9:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Here's one article that concludes that T3 thyroid hormone is significantly lower in a group of people with horton's headache (aka cluster headache).  Does your doctor check for T3 and T4, or just T4?  There has been some debate over what forms to test for and prescribe, but it may have cleared up in recent years.  

Neurol Neurochir Pol. 1981 Sep-Dec;15(5-6):569-73. Related Articles, Links

[Thyrotropic and thyroid hormone (T3 and T4) content in Horton' s headache patients]

[Article in Polish]
 Klimek A, owczarczyk I, Gluszcz-Zielinska A.

In 18 men with Horton's headaches the levels of the following hormones were determined in the serum: TSH, T3 and T4. The determinations were performed during disease relapse and before starting treatment. The control group included 18 blood donors. In the control group the mean TSH level was 3.97 +/- 0.88 microunits/ml, T4 level was 109.06 +/- 26.88 nmol/l, and T3 1.48 +/- 0.14 nmol/l. In the group of patients the mean values were: 2.58 +/- 2.09 microunits/ml, 97.62 +/- 21.81 nmol/l, 1.07 +/- 0.21 nmol/l respectively. The analysis of the results showed statistically significant differences in the concentrations of T3 between the compared groups. In the light of these results the authors believe that there is not sufficient support of the hypothesis on a hypothalamic pathogenesis of the disease. The causes of reduced T3 concentration in these patients are discussed.

PMID: 7342000 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2003, 9:29am by floridian » IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 12th, 2003, 9:10am »

The involvement of the thyroid makes sense. Other biochemicals known to be disordered in CH are VIP (vasoactive intestinal protein) and prolactin.  A quick browse of the literature shows that thyroid hormone affects VIP production, and VIP regulates prolactin production.  There is an "axis" or feedback system between the thyroid and hypothalamus.  Messing this up could be a trigger or a cause of cluster headaches.
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2003, 9:19am by floridian » IP Logged
kbbogo1
New Board Newbie

« Reply #6 on: Aug 12th, 2003, 2:20pm »

Hmmmm....interesting.  Thanks for the info and your input.  I, also, always assumed my depression was due to me knowing the ch's were coming.  But my depression (more like an overall sadness) and fatigue get progressively worse - to the point of being extreme -as my clusters peak in frequency, and then it starts going away as my clusters start tapering off.  But there are too many other symptoms I have that sound like they are hypothyroid.  I had all the thyroid blood test done, with the exception of the thyroid antibody test.  From some of the articles I have read, it sounds as though all  the testing I have had is usless and that it is the thyroid antibody test I may need.  
I, like many here, had been to all sorts of doctors before being diagnosed with clusters.  But, I have never been to an endocrinologist - because it never occured to me until now.  Maybe it is something to look into.

Kim B
IP Logged
Smurf
New Board Junior

Together, we shall slay the dragon!

« Reply #7 on: Aug 13th, 2003, 1:00pm »

Cheesy  I am so happy to find all of you!!!!  I have been a sufferer now for 19 years, and even though my husband and family try to understand, they just don't get it like you do.  I've felt so alone all these years, especially when doctors tell me thngs like, "headaches can't be that bad, just take an aspirin", or "you can't have Clusters, only men get them".  The fact is I suffer from both Clusters and Migraines.  And there is a MAJOR difference. (Give me a migraine any day over a Cluster!)

I'm in a series right now.  Last series was 2+1/2 years ago and that one lasted 7 weeks.  It was about that time that my doctor did diagnose me with hypothyroid and I have been on Synthroid since.  I started theorizing and researching from that point.  I found out that when I'm on Lithium (which doesn't seem to do anything), it kind of cancels the Synthroid because my thyroid test results go back up around 13. But, maybe it's the clusters themselves causing this?

Also, the back of my neck kills me in an agonizing way during an attack.  Putting an ice pack at the base of my neck (where the hypothalamus is, I believe) really helps (I also do 1/2 Imitrex and oxygen - my doctor will only prescribe 6 pills per week; nice when I get 2-3 headaches a day).  I've been going to the Chiropractor 3x per week and wow does the base of my neck crack!  Feels good.  Could we be have pinched nerves/swelling to the hypothalamus??[flash=200,200]URL[/flash] Smiley Cheesy
IP Logged

It just goes to show ya...where ever you go, there you are.
5-string
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 13th, 2003, 2:41pm »

Hey smurf,
  I'm new to this group as well. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid when I had my first major attack 4 years ago. The synthroid however,did not prevent them from returning,so I assumed they were not related. 11 months later I was diagnosed as having cluster headaches.That's all I was told,was given some vicoprofen, and that was that. I'm wondering if increasing synthroid dosage before they start would curb them...? being 4 weeks into one with no sign of exiting right now,hell,I'm game.          
  Is this going to kill me?     feedback?
     Mark

IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 13th, 2003, 5:55pm »

Mark,

yes, it is potentially dangerous to up your thyroid med without doing some research and talking to a qualified doctor ... probably not the average overworked general practitioner.  

Other thoughts:  synthroid is only T4.  Most doctors assume everyone can convert T4 (non-active) into the T3 hormone (which is active).  The article I referenced earlier said that the significant difference in horton headache sufferers was a low T3 level.  Maybe the metabolic weak link is the de-iodination of T4 to T3.  Boosting the synthroid dose would not solve the problem if this is true.  Selenium is essential for the conversion of T4 to T3; maybe a moderate supplement of selenium will help.  (Too little is bad, but too much causes the loss of hair, impotence, and insanity. The term "loco weed" was originally applied to fodder in the arid Southwest that accumulated so much selenium that it poisoned the horses and made them crazy).  

Or, Maybe there is enough thyroid hormone, but it is not being utilized properly by the cells across the body.  This is what happens in type II diabetes (and other analogous diseases) - insulin is produced, but the various cells do not have enough receptors to catch the insulin and activate the cell the way the insulin should.  

Keep exploring, but don't play around with your regimen.  When dealing with a serious disease like hypothyroidism, diabetes, or asthma, do talk to your doctor, and only change one thing at a time.  Otherwise, you don't know what is pushing your body in which direction, and can cause serious problems.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2003, 6:19pm by floridian » IP Logged
5-string
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 14th, 2003, 9:14am »

floridian,
 Thank you for the advise,thats my typical"more must be better"thinking.you have givin us alot of info to research.
  I'm so greatful I found y'all.
       Mark.

IP Logged
Smurf
New Board Junior

« Reply #11 on: Aug 14th, 2003, 12:18pm »

Shocked  Mark,
I have to agree with Floridian.  Even though it's hard to find an understanding physician on the CH issue, it's best to consult one before self-medicating.

What is Vicoprofin?  How does it work for you?  

It also sounds like you need to research a new doctor. Ask about Oxygen treatments.  I'm tryng to find one in my area who actually suffers the "disease".  I'm tired of a lack-lustre response from the putzs I've seen so far.  Hang in there!  I've been in Attack Session mode for three weeks now.  I pray for all of us while I'm sucking on the O2.

P.S.  Even though I have a hypothyroid - I never had any symptoms that I could tell.  It was found out merely by a thorough blood test.   ???
IP Logged

5-string
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 14th, 2003, 1:40pm »

vicoprofin is a muscle relaxer. I did'nt put it together until I took it.
 it's vicodin(nartocic) and ibuprofin.  I  personally need to stay away from that kind of thing being "sober" and all. so I can't risk endulging in that kind of stuff.
  I do have an appt. w/ a neuroligist. so maybe she can do something. though its not until sept.6. hopefully this cycle will be gone by then. I feel like printing this whole sight to show her.  I think I'll just highlight some of it for her.
  I feel your pain.harharhar.  hang in there,
  Mark
IP Logged
Smurf
New Board Junior

« Reply #13 on: Aug 14th, 2003, 1:50pm »

Let us know how your dr. visit goes.  Best of luck. Cheesy

I was on Stadol for attacks, and my dr. all but accused me of being a drug addict, but frankly, I did not like the buzzed feeling from that at all.  It worked, but boy did it wipe me out. Cry
IP Logged

floridian

Email

More Interesting Research
« Reply #14 on: Aug 15th, 2003, 9:43am »

Low thyroid hormones increase serotonin turn over in the brain stem and lower serotonin levels in brain cortex regions. Correcting low thyroid hormones increases the number of serotonin receptors in the brain cortex.  From:

Thyroid hormones, serotonin and mood: of synergy and significance in the adult brain.
Bauer M, Heinz A, Whybrow PC.
University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), Neuropsychiatric Institute & Hospital, Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, 760 Westwood Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA. mjbauer@mednet.ucla.edu

Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2003 Jul;81(7):747-51.ks
    Serotonin effect on deiodinating activity in the rat.
    Sullo A, Brizzi G, Maffulli N.
    Second University of Naples, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, Department of Experimental Medicine, Human Physiology Section, Napoli, Italy.

J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2003 Apr;305(1):159-66.  
     Hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis and sympathetic nervous system involvement in hyperthermia induced by 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (Ecstasy).
    Sprague JE, Banks ML, Cook VJ, Mills EM.
    The Department of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, The Raabe College of Pharmacy, Ohio Northern University, Ada, Ohio 45810, USA. j-sprague@onu.edu

IP Logged
BillyJ.

Email

« Reply #15 on: Aug 15th, 2003, 11:42am »

on Aug 14th, 2003, 1:40pm, 5-string wrote:
vicoprofin is a muscle relaxer.

No its not- http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic2/vicoprofen.htm
IP Logged
5-string
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Aug 15th, 2003, 4:57pm »

Lips Sealed sorry, thanks for the correction. I always assumed that narcotic based pain meds were considered muscle relaxers. Now I know better. Sorry I missed informed you.

IP Logged
judyw
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran

Knowledge is Power

9537257 9537257   judyw143  
Email

« Reply #17 on: Aug 16th, 2003, 1:18pm »

Interesting thread...Never really thought of this connection...but makes some sense...I have been chronic CH since 76 having started as a child...Spent many painful episodes being told the usual...women don't get CH, must be migraine, PMS, etc...did not have thyroid  dx until I brought a lump on my neck to the attention of my newest doctor in 96...Lost that to surgery, and instantly put on Synthroid...always attempting to balance the numbers, until In 2000 a chiropharmacist friend asked about the T3/T4 factors and had I considered taking Cytomel in conjunction with Synthroid...have finally gotten a good number on my blood work and feeling a little more like getting on with life...Though, the lazyboy is still my favorite chair...lol...I still get the Sr Moment mentality more when CH is in the wings...Wishing all pfdan....
IP Logged

judyw143
kbbogo1
New Board Newbie

« Reply #18 on: Aug 16th, 2003, 6:44pm »

Thought this might be worth mentioning too, my clusters started shortly after the birth of my first child.  (although not diagnosed for 6 years)  Coincidentally, it is quite common for thyroid problems to occur in women after having a baby.  

Just curious, how many women on the site starting getting clusters after having a kid?

I know your frustration, Judyw, about going thru the ringer with doctors and testing.  Been there, done that!  It is hard to get diagnosed when you don't fit in the "norm" of what they consider a typical clusterhead - overweight male, over 40, who drinks and smokes heavily, sometimes with a dimpled chin.  No, I don't think that is me!   ;D  

Kim B
IP Logged
Smurf
New Board Junior

« Reply #19 on: Aug 18th, 2003, 7:59am »

Kim,
I've never been pregnant.  
Smurf
IP Logged

Woobie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I luv you guys!!!!!!!!

Email

« Reply #20 on: Aug 20th, 2003, 11:46pm »

THIS is VeRY interesting.

Ramon's family is CRAZY full of bad thyroids.  I dont know if it's hereditary, or not.  His mother just had surgery as a matter of fact.

And I KNOW that before a cycle all he wants to do is sleep... and you cannot talk to the man --he's so damned irritable.    

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

tina Kiss
IP Logged
Linda T
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #21 on: Aug 21st, 2003, 7:15pm »

This is very interesting indeed!

I had my first cluster episode in 1984.  In 1992 the doc found a lump in my throat and I had the scan and ultrasound and determined that I had a "multi-nodular" thyroid.  The largest of the nodes was biopsied.  It was negative but I was put on synthroid.  I was told that the synthroid would supress any further nodules from growing.

Funny thing - when my cluster hits I feel it first in my thoat just about where the lump is.  The pain shoots up my face and into my temple and behind my eye.  The pain is usually a kip 10 within seconds.  I told my neuro this and he said it had something to do with the carotid artery (who knows).

Sometime during the 90's I stupidly decided I didn't need the synthroid anymore and I stopped taking it.  In 1995 I had a four month cluster episode - after my son was born in 1197 I had a two week episode and most recently I had a 5 month episode.

Several months ago I went to the GP because I had hair loss and my hands always felt like they were falling asleep.  Also, my ankles were swelling terribly.  Blood work was done to determine whether it was my thyroid.  THe blood work came back o.k.  I did go see an endocrinologist and he wants me to get another scan and another biopsy.  He says he's not sure that synthroid will do me any good at this point.

That's my thyroid story.  I too tried to make a connection between the thryoid and ch but didn't come up with much either.

Maybe there is some thing to it.

Good luck.  Wishing you all PFDAN always, Linda T
IP Logged

What a long, strange trip it's been!
kbbogo1
New Board Newbie

« Reply #22 on: Sep 11th, 2003, 1:31pm »

Well, my thyroid test all came back within the normal range.  I feel like crap and the Dr. agrees that I have all the symptoms of being hypothyroid.  He went with the test results and decided to put me on Effexor - antidepressant ( I am NOT taking).  Back to all the docs thinking I am a looney!!

Kim B
IP Logged
Tom
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #23 on: Sep 12th, 2003, 2:36pm »

Thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) is released from the hypothalamus  

-> to the pituitary gland, that releases thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH, , which is inhibited by the arrival of somatostatin from the hypothalamus)    

-> that, as its name suggests,  stimulates the thyroid gland to secrete its hormones  

• thyroxine (T4)  
• triiodothyronine ( T3)

There is a negative feed back between the T3 + T4 levels and the amount of the released TRH.

Thomas
IP Logged

Thomas/Munich
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss