Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 17th, 2024, 10:56pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « HOW'S YOUR NECK DURING AN ATTACK? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   HOW'S YOUR NECK DURING AN ATTACK?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: HOW'S YOUR NECK DURING AN ATTACK?  (Read 918 times)
Smurf
New Board Junior

Together, we shall slay the dragon!

HOW'S YOUR NECK DURING AN ATTACK?
« on: Sep 4th, 2003, 12:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi gang,
I would like to get some feedback from you if you do or do not experience any neck pain during a CH attack.

If so, please describe it.

Also, does anyone get the chills when an attack is letting up?
-Smurf
IP Logged

It just goes to show ya...where ever you go, there you are.
floridian

Email

Re: HOW'S YOUR NECK DURING AN ATTACK?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 4th, 2003, 1:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I get general tenderness and discomfort in the neck, especially at the base.  Feels like there is pressure on the nerves, but stretching and twisting doesn't help.  

No chills when a headache is letting up, but this year and the last, I had an intense heat up at the peak/end of a cycle.  A few minutes of feeling like I would spontaneously combust. Went into cool shower, followed by chills and panic attack.  The next day, there was a lump in my throat - maybe thyroid??  The lump receded within 1 1/2 days.
IP Logged
ckelly181
New Board Old Timer
USA 

To err is human; To forgive, canine.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 4th, 2003, 3:31pm »

Hey,

I get a hot tension in my jaw. Feels like I'm crushing my teeth together, what I think of as how lockjaw might feel.  

I also get a real restless feeling in my legs...don't know how else to describe it. I get a little nauseus, but have never thrown up.

Chris
IP Logged

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 4th, 2003, 4:30pm »

I just get so uptight, that everything can ache.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
5-string
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Nothing is accomplished without passion

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 4th, 2003, 8:23pm »

No chills.

Neck, very tender on left side. As if it all starts there. I thought at one point it this all might have been just a simple case of a pinched nerve or something. No such luck.

No chills though.
  See ya,
  Mark.
IP Logged
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 4th, 2003, 11:03pm »

My neck tightens up on the left side before and during an attack but no chills to report here.  
I get a euphoric like feeling when the attack is over. My head is usually sore but other than that I feel really relaxed/drained.
pfdan's

Jim
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Love is friendship set on fire

suzy617
Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 5th, 2003, 5:03am »

Yes I also get  discomfort at the base of my neck before an attack.
No chills but as Jim says, just a very relaxed and draining feeling when its all over.

Suzy
IP Logged

When God measures men, He puts the tape around the heart, not the head.
RAJ
New Board Newbie

« Reply #7 on: Sep 5th, 2003, 6:40am »

There are times that I feel like I'm hanging from a meat hook through the back of my neck.  This pain can be very intense, measuring around a 7 / 8 by itself.  Doc tells me it's brought on by the anxiety of the CH.  The only thing that helps is a massager and time.  Sometimes I take flexeril which is a mild muscle relaxant.  This only happens one in 10 CH attacks, but when it does, it really adds a level of hell that I hate.

Best of luck to all.  PFDAN's.
RAJ
IP Logged
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 5th, 2003, 7:36am »

My right side of my neck (the side my CH is on) gets very sore also and some sharp pains sometimes go down it but I think that's just muscles getting tight from the pain (I have had fibromyalgia since i was 16 so I tend to be more susceptible to sore muscles...but for the most part I dont have a prob with it anymore other than the neck thing)
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
Orion
New Board Newbie
USA 

This too shall pass ......

« Reply #9 on: Sep 5th, 2003, 9:18am »

I sometimes get a stabbing pain in my right shoulder blade area (same side as CH).  It is intense like someone applying a pressure point.  I use to think being hunched over at the computer was a possible trigger because of the neck ache but I've given up on that.

Chills,  very mild relief chill feeling especially after migranal shot and CH hits the road.
IP Logged
Alora

Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 5th, 2003, 10:41am »

Hey Smurf.... I have much pain in my upper right neck area (same side as CH).  It's usually a precurser to the start of the CH and seems to make a direct line to my right eye.  I use a heat pack on my neck and ice to my face, the combination helps.  No chills.
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Sep 5th, 2003, 2:07pm »

Severe "knot" at neck/shoulder area on affected side.  Get the chills when attack letting up.  Every time.
IP Logged
toomuchpain
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Sep 5th, 2003, 2:59pm »

Hello,

I do not recall experiencing any neck pain during an attack. However, it could be that my headache pain was so severe that I did not notice. Also, no chills but lots of sweating and hot flashes during and after my attacks.

toomuchpain
IP Logged
hdbngr
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 5th, 2003, 3:30pm »

I like the "meat hook" analogy from the post above!

I call it Terminator neck myself... feels the way the Terminator guy's neck looked when he had no skin, just metal vertibrae, metal skull, all ground together...yucky.

Or like when you were a kid and jammed your thumb playing sports, only its my neck that feels like that all the time now. Some Docs say it is my head that makes my neck feel like that, some say it is my neck that makes my head feel like that. Who knows?
IP Logged

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #14 on: Sep 6th, 2003, 10:59am »

I almost always have neck pain at the onset of an attack.  For me, it is normally on the left side of the back of my neck (where the head meets) even though my attacks are almost always on the right side.  If I lean my head forward and to the right, I can REALLY feel the neck pain, but stretching it in this manner offers some short-term relief of the neck pain.  After about 5 minutes of that, the pain actually increases.  The neck pain subsides when I hit a Kip 5 or so normally, but remains sore for a few hours after the attack is over.  (like muscle soreness after a workout)

As for the chills...none that I can recall.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Mahle421
New Board Newbie

anyone want to share some pain with me!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 6th, 2003, 4:17pm »

I do.... on onset I use one icepack at base of neck and shoulder covering the brain stem, then one ice pack at the temple of pian covering my eyes.   This works wonders for me along with 15l/min of O2 for 15 min.
IP Logged
celtspirit
New Board Newbie
USA 

Gettin' Really Ripped!!!!!

92292159 92292159   celtspirit  
Email

« Reply #16 on: Sep 7th, 2003, 9:23am »

I never thought to ask anyone about the neck pain, glad you did.
I get some tenderness in the muscles of the side the CH is on, but that is minor compared to the other neck 'problem' I experience.
The only way to descibe this problem is "Neck Crunchies"
It happens just before, and all during a CH. Feels like the neck bones are grinding together with no cartilage between them whenever you move your head, also feels like a joint that needs to 'pop' like your knees or other joints do sometimes. Thing is, no matter how hard you try, it just won't pop.
Application of a cold gel pack to the base of the neck does wonders for both the muscle tenderness, as well as for the CH.
IP Logged

Oh! I'm sorry! When we were first introduced, I forgot to mention that I am an arrogant, opinionated ass-hole, but I do thank you for noticing!!
sadsue
New Board Newbie

I sobbed with joy when I found ythis web-site!

sukie   sukie
Email

« Reply #17 on: Sep 8th, 2003, 11:02am »

I started attacking last Thurs morning. It was sooo hot I had the aircon on in the car while leaving work. When I got home my feet where sooo cold I had to put sox on- never had it B4.
IP Logged

'THY SOUL SHALL FIND ITSELF ALONE
'MID DARK THOUGHTS OF THE GREY TOMB-STONE-
NOT ONE, OF ALL THE CROWD, TO PRY
INTO THINE HOUR OF SECRECY:'

edgar allen poe 1844( CLUSTERHEAD.)
Lissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Sep 8th, 2003, 11:04am »

Stiff, chilling, tingling....
IP Logged

Episodic cluster survivor since 1995 at age 16.
Smurf
New Board Junior

« Reply #19 on: Sep 8th, 2003, 4:08pm »

I'm definitely seeing a pattern.  A lot of us suffer extreme pain at the base of our neck - where the head and neck meet.  I liked the meathook analogy the best; it's right on.   I put an ice pack on the base of neck and on my temple during an attack.

I started seeing an Upper Cervical Chiropractor.  The x-rays showed very obviously that the upper-most vertibrae was twisted inward toward the brain and tilted toward the left.  He is not a "whip and cracker", rather he pushes gently to get the upper vertibrae in line.  He doesn't mess with the rest of neck by assuming that the top one will make the rest line up (like a stack of chairs, as he puts it).  It seems that in addition to the clusters, I was also having the pinched nerve headache AND TMJ (probably aggravated by all the other headaches - jaw clenching).  He got rid of the "banging my head on the floor to make it feel better headaches".  I think the whip and crack chiro was the one who tilted the vertibrae in the first place.  
-Smurf
IP Logged

kbbogo1
New Board Newbie

« Reply #20 on: Sep 11th, 2003, 1:24pm »

Stiff, achy neck at the base of the skull.  I find myself constantly rubbing and stretching my neck before the headpain takes over.  I was at the chiropractor alot before I was diagnosed with clusters - thought something in my neck was causing the pain.  I also have a lump that swells up between my vertebraes - it is very tender and on the right side of the bone in my upper neck (Dr. said it is nerve tissue, it virtually disappears when I am not in a cluster cycle).  Also, my jaw occasionally locks on the right side, and my upper right teeth are bad (2 root canals - and novacaine does not numb the area) - everything is only on the right - which is the same side my clusters are.  Coincidence?!?

Kim B
IP Logged
Smurf
New Board Junior

« Reply #21 on: Sep 11th, 2003, 2:43pm »

Kim,
No, not a coincidence, I'll bet.  Your whole description is exactly what happens to me - just put in on the left-side.
I'm convinced it's all the CH syndrome.
-Smurf
IP Logged

wayner57
New Board Newbie

Another site newbe!

Email

« Reply #22 on: Sep 12th, 2003, 10:08am »

I always get a sore neck on my right side before an attack, it stays during the attack and for a short time afterwards. My demon is always on the right side!
I get very hot at the start of an attack, its stays during the attack, then i get the chills at the end + i get the euphoric feelings when the attck ends!
IP Logged

Have danced with the demon for 12 years!
LSUnut
New Board Newbie

"Evil will always win because good is dumb!!!"

Email

« Reply #23 on: Sep 12th, 2003, 2:54pm »

I definitely get pain at the base of my neck on the right side (right-sided CH sufferer).  The pain feels like its connected in a straight line from my right forehead above my eye down a plain to the base of my neck.  My wife has also commented that my right ear turns extremely red during an attack, which I guess would account for the burning sensation.
IP Logged

Whoever said the fear of death is worse than death itself, obviously never suffered from cluster headaches!!!
cleon

Email

« Reply #24 on: Sep 13th, 2003, 4:05am »

Tongue  Yep I cop it right in the neck too.
Always on the pain side.
Meat hook sounds about right too.
Bastard of a feeling.
Isnt it the Trigeminal nerve? I always thought it was.
I firmly believe that as my cycle gets under way, the Tri nerve is definently involved.  I reckon the brain sends a message to 'it' and tells 'it' to "give me as much shit as possible"
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss