Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 17th, 2024, 8:43pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Prednisone »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Prednisone
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Prednisone  (Read 327 times)
onetime1945
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Prednisone
« on: Apr 6th, 2005, 9:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does prednisone ever stop chronic cluster h/a.  I have tried it a number of times and after going off it I usually get the h/a back  in about 2-3 days -  sometimes worse than before taking it.
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

Re: Prednisone
« Reply #1 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 10:21am »

It often stops them, at great cost to your body, and they usually return immediately after stopping usage.  So a predinisone taper is offered commonly at the beginning of ramping up on another preventative, such as Verapamil...
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2005, 10:22am by vig » IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 11:02am »

As Vig said . . .what a cost on the body!
Prednisone never ended D's chronic cycle . . .back in the day, when he would try a taper, it would knock the edge off the first 2 days . . .then *wham* he was hit again . . on the high side, it would sometimes break the every hour cycle down to every 2 to 3 hours . . which gave him (us) some recovery time . . .on our scale of 1 - 10 (10 being most likely to work . . .we score prednisone a 1.5 for D.
*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 12:43pm »

Well, I have had prednisone treatment twice. On both occasions it did wonders to my spirits (I was HAPPY all the time) but not that much to my HAs. I got nasty side effects, too. (Like I slept for 5 hours, tops.) But I must admit that the feeling of happiness I'd take back anytime... Grin
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

don

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 7:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
a predinisone taper is offered commonly at the beginning of ramping up on another preventative, such as Verapamil

Thats the ticket.

Pred. has differant side effects for differant people. Some exper5iance severe side effects, some hardly any.

The severest side effect I experiance is increased appetite. I prefer to lose the cycle first and the weight afterwards. I use pred. ever5y cycle with verapamil with great success. The protocol is simple:

At the beginning of the cycle:
240MG of Verap 2x a day for 2 weeks

Prednisone taper

Continue with verapamil until I feel safe to stop.
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2005, 7:23am by don » IP Logged
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 10:16am »

on Apr 6th, 2005, 12:43pm, sandie99 wrote:
Well, I have had prednisone treatment twice. On both occasions it did wonders to my spirits (I was HAPPY all the time) but not that much to my HAs. I got nasty side effects, too. (Like I slept for 5 hours, tops.) But I must admit that the feeling of happiness I'd take back anytime... Grin

I bet my hubby wishes I was happy when on pred.  I turn into a moody psycho b*tch and I'm the first to admit it.  Also I can't stop eating when I'm on it!

Yeah as vig and mia said.  Pred is good sometimes for a short term break while upping or starting a longterm preventative med.  It is hard on many different parts of the body.
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
PaulL
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 1:27pm »

It's horrible stuff.  I gained 15 pounds, got acne, and turned into Darth Vader.  The bad news is it didn't stop the CHs.

Bad temper is a pretty common side effect.  My sister-in-law's father was on it for other reasons and started locking his wife in closets.

A couple of experiences for what they're worth....
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 9th, 2005, 6:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
started locking his wife in closets

I haven't done that.

I'll try upping my dose.
IP Logged
PaulL
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Apr 9th, 2005, 10:15am »

on Apr 9th, 2005, 6:06am, don wrote:

I haven't done that.

I'll try upping my dose.

There are easier and more socially acceptable ways of torturing your wife, like wearing a pink polka-dot tie with a plaid shirt to her company's Christmas dinner. (Whale pants are optional)
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss