Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 2nd, 2024, 3:01am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « FDA warning about Neurontin »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   FDA warning about Neurontin
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: FDA warning about Neurontin  (Read 306 times)
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

FDA warning about Neurontin
« on: Apr 22nd, 2005, 4:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

"The Food and Drug Administration has asked the makers of all epilepsy drugs to re-examine their clinical trial data in response to claims that one of the medicines, Pfizer's Neurontin, boosts the risk of suicide. Word of the FDA action came in response to a petition filed last May by personal injury attorney Andrew Finkelstein, who has been urging the agency to warn doctors that the commonly prescribed drug Neurontin can lead to severe depression and suicide."  

Here is the article about it:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/04/21/MNGDTCCJ3N1.D TL

Bob
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: FDA warning about Neurontin
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22nd, 2005, 5:58pm »

Thanks for the info, Bob. I've been taking Neurontin (up to 1800mgs a day at times) since 1999. The only time I have felt suicidal is during particularly bad CH times. I blame the CH for that. I guess if one was already somewhat suicidal, there are more than a few meds that could contribute to the depression that ultimately makes one act.  Sad
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: May 1st, 2005, 12:57pm »

The following link is to another article about Neurontin and "off-label" drug use.  

2,300 families who blame Neurontin for a suicide or suicide attempt are taking legal steps against its maker, Pfizer Inc.

Pfizer pleaded guilty last year to federal felonies related to marketing Neurontin and agreed to pay the government a $430 million fine.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/05/01/MNG4TCID0 J1.DTL

Bob
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 1st, 2005, 3:50pm »

This is disturbing on many levels.  I can forsee a time when insurance companies no longer want to cover prescriptions for 'off-label' uses because of the 'risk' (read: expense).  That would be disastrous for clusterheads because then we'd only have imitrex.  Sad

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: May 1st, 2005, 5:13pm »

on May 1st, 2005, 3:50pm, eyes_afire wrote:
This is disturbing on many levels.  I can forsee a time when insurance companies no longer want to cover prescriptions for 'off-label' uses because of the 'risk' (read: expense).  That would be disastrous for clusterheads because then we'd only have imitrex.  Sad

--- Steve

That'll never happen Eyes. One, the lost revenues would be HUGE as so many drugs are used "off label" and the drug mfgrs would buy the insurance industry 9or the senate) if they had to to continue selling them as such.
Secondly, the old lawsuit they lost was because their salespeople were touting neurontin for everything from neuropathic pain to stool softeners...and the doctors bought into it, without ever seeing any phase one successful trials for the uses.

Bobw
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss