Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 2nd, 2024, 2:11am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « web information »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   web information
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: web information  (Read 201 times)
maffumatt

Email

web information
« on: May 7th, 2005, 1:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

http://www.mercydesmoines.org/ADAM/WellConnected/articles/000099.asp

This site has the most complete information about CH I have found.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

Re: web information
« Reply #1 on: May 7th, 2005, 2:47pm »

It seems like a lot of work went into compiling the article and it is good overall, although I find a few points of disagreement:

Quote:
Melatonin. Small preliminary reports indicate that melatonin, a brain hormone that helps to regulate the sleep-wake cycle, may help prevent episodic or chronic cluster headaches. Melatonin supplements are sold in health food stories, but as with most natural remedies, the quality of different preparations varies, and they have not been rigorously tested for safety or effectiveness. Hormones such as melatonin are powerful substances, and additional studies are needed.

I consider melatonin to be a proven therapy with a low risk profile.  

Also, no mention of magnesium or B-vitamins anywhere in the article, although they did mention glucosamine, which they mention as a migraine therapy that may help with clusters. (?!)   No mention of clusterbusters or kudzu.  

Methysergide is discussed in a fair amount of detail, but no mention of the fact that it has been unavailable in the US for years.  

Apnea is suggested as a possible factor for people who "suffer from daytime sleepiness" ...  given the fact that between 50% and 80% of clusterheads suffer from apnea, I would say their approach is too limited. They mention CPAP as the treatment for apnea, although CPAP is for obstructive (physical/mechanical) apnea, and it appears that clusterheads stop breathing due to neurological factors (central apnea).  

« Last Edit: May 7th, 2005, 2:56pm by floridian » IP Logged
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 7th, 2005, 3:56pm »

Quote:
a headache that typically lasts about an hour

I wish.

Lee
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #3 on: May 8th, 2005, 4:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There were lots of info. Thanks for sharing that address! Smiley
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss