Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 6:16pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Cluster lump on back of neck »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Cluster lump on back of neck
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cluster lump on back of neck  (Read 10550 times)
SchwarzenSchafe
New Board Junior
Canada 

Re: Cluster lump on back of neck
« Reply #75 on: Dec 16th, 2007, 1:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hehe... thanks. Yes, I've read a bit about the submandibular ganglion now and the location and everything fits. It's enlarged right now even, out of cycle. Funny you mention sensitive teeth and gums, as years ago (before being diagnosed) I went through a period wondering if impacted wisdom teeth where the cause. During hits I commonly stand hunched over the sink with my eyes closed brushing my teeth to massage my upper gums on the afflicted side.
IP Logged
Crappy
New Board Junior
USA 

__

Submandibular Ganglion
« Reply #76 on: Dec 16th, 2007, 7:47pm »

Let me take another shot in the dark....

When my submandibular ganglion really acts up, that also seems to be when I get alot of pain in the throat area.  Normally pain shoots from my nostril back along the eye toward my ear/neck, but when the submandibular ganglion is fired up then the nostril stabs seem instead to shoot down the back of my throat toward my adam's apple.  It's still ipsilateral, on the left side where the rest of my pain is.

Ever experience anything like that?
IP Logged

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence."
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #77 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 5:34pm »

Hi Chappy

Welcome to the Board and I am glad the thread helps you. It helped my husband a lot because applying ice to his "lump" reduced the cluster pain quite a lot for him.  

I am starting to think there are 2 main components to CH and they are not always there to the same degree:

1- Vascular : with vasodilatation leading to the compression of trigeminal nerves causing the drilling pain behind the eye, ear, face and jaw.
2- Neurological : with activation of the autonomic nervous system causing Horners syndrome and pain/tension in the neck and shoulder as well as facial pain.

It seems you may have either or both with any particular hit or cycle and the symptoms you experience may vary accordingly.

It appeared some people have the vascular component as the major or only component and therefore they dont get the ganglion lump. For those Verapamil, oxygen and imitrex seem to work very well as they are all powerful vasoconstrictors.  

For those who have a strong neurological component , they may need more than just vasoconstrictors to dampen the whole thing down. I guess this is when anticonvulsants work better?  

I noticed with my husband that even within the cycle itself, some hits are more vascular based and others can be more neurological based. When it seemed more vascular based he would get hotter, more flushed and sweaty and the lump didnt get quite as large or it may not even be there, otherwise the lump would get quite big and quite a lot more tender. I also noticed that when the ganglion got swollen large quickly, ice applying directly to the ganglion worked really well but caffeine drink would not help.

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #78 on: May 3rd, 2008, 4:50pm »

I would like to add this diagram to this thread to show how the synapses in the superior sympathetic ganglion in the neck are directly connected to the nerves that control the blood flow in both the internal and external carotid arteries.

When internal carotid artery dilate enough, it will squish the adjacent trigeminal nerve root causing its sensory ( pain ) branches to fire, leading to CH pain.

When the external carotid artery dilate, you get flushing of the skin and the extra blood flow can cause the rise in temperature often experienced during a CH hit.  

It also activates  

1-  Levator palpebrae which causes drooping of the eyelid.
2-  Dilator pupilae which causes the pupil of the CH eye to dilate.
3- Vasomotor nerves which cause  the blood vessels in the head and neck area to dilate.
4- Sudomotor nerves which cause the sweating above the eyebrow.

Below is an excellent diagram showing the trigeminal nerve and its ganglion and nerve root.

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Jean
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #79 on: May 4th, 2008, 3:06pm »

Hi All,

I can't believe how much I have learned in the short time that I have been coming to this site.  I also have a lump on the back of my neck just to the right of my spine  at the base.  I have only had lots of shadows so far this spring, thanks ( I think) to starting Verapamil before my cycle started.    It seems to have been more noticeable lately.  I never  made the connection between CH and the lump before.    You guys are a plethora of knowledge!  

Jeannie
IP Logged
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #80 on: May 4th, 2008, 4:19pm »

Hi Jeannie

I am glad to hear you are having a mild cycle. If you have a swollen ganglion lump, try applying ice to it during a hit, it will help reducing both the pain and the duration of it.  

Painfree wishes to you.
IP Logged

Arthur Conan Doyle
ak_baumgard
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #81 on: May 13th, 2008, 9:27am »

Hi Annette.(my name also) Re: the ganglion lump : I get this with most of my headaches that last longer than 30 min.  I find ice to be effective as a distraction ,and also soothing. My daughter who is a licensed massage therapist has taught my husband how to massage that lump, and I work on it myself.  However , it doesn't make the fact that my head seems to have a huge spear point stuck in it at the same time I feel like a bird of prey is lifting me by the skull and crushing most of my head in the process.  

I think the ganglion is a by-product of the CH, not a cause!
IP Logged
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #82 on: May 13th, 2008, 5:58pm »

on May 13th, 2008, 9:27am, ak_baumgard wrote:

I think the ganglion is a by-product of the CH, not a cause!

Hi Annette  Smiley

You are absolutely right ! The ganglion is just the indication that the sympathetic nervous system is overactive and nerves are firing in those ganglions causing pain and heat. They are not the cause of CH just part of the neurovascular cascade occurrring during a CH hit.  

IP Logged

Arthur Conan Doyle
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss