Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 8:28am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Weird Triggers.... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Weird Triggers....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Weird Triggers....  (Read 4890 times)
Lebowski
New Board Newbie
USA 

The Dude Abides!

Email

Weird Triggers....
« on: Jan 26th, 2008, 8:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Anybody have some weird, random things that trigger CH's? A couple of things for me are:  
Popcorn. Dont know why but when I am in my cycle and eat popcorn I am guaranteed to get a CH. I love pop corn too  Tongue

Another thing is if I am laying in a certain position either on my bed or the couch watching a program I will get shadows and fall into a CH.

IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

Re: Weird Triggers....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26th, 2008, 9:26pm »

Popcorn has nothing to do with triggering a CH.

Quote:
Another thing is if I am laying in a certain position either on my bed or the couch watching a program I will get shadows and fall into a CH.  

Most likely it is the relaxing that has caused the attack.  Someone here has, as their tag-line..."never relax...ever"

Linda  
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Lebowski
New Board Newbie
USA 

The Dude Abides!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 26th, 2008, 11:39pm »

on Jan 26th, 2008, 9:26pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

Popcorn has nothing to do with triggering a CH.

Most likely it is the relaxing that has caused the attack.  Someone here has, as their tag-line..."never relax...ever"

Linda  

Well it sure sends me into one for whatever reason.
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 27th, 2008, 12:10am »

By any chance are you having a beer with that popcorn?

Alcohol is a definite trigger.
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
billlmack
New Board Newbie
USA 

most painful experience a human can experience

« Reply #4 on: Jan 27th, 2008, 1:07am »

sitting for too long
general tso
sleep
for me
IP Logged

"yeah I get real bad headaches too"
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 27th, 2008, 2:42am »

Here's a weird one:  Light (and/or heat) in the far infrared.

Some of you might remember this--about a year ago, I test-drove a sauna that used infrared light instead of the usual heated rocks.  Even though I was out of cycle, five minutes in the Box of Death started me shadowing hard.  I bailed, drank a Red Bull, and killed it.  But I will NEVER get into one of those tools of the Devil again.

If you're a masochist, you might want to give it a shot.  I'd be interested to know whether anyone has had a similar experience, or whether anyone else has the huevos to give it a try.

This is ONLY thing I've ever run across that triggered an out-of-cycle visit from the Black Dog in forty years of CH.

Best,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Lebowski
New Board Newbie
USA 

The Dude Abides!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 27th, 2008, 3:13am »

on Jan 27th, 2008, 12:10am, Linda_Howell wrote:

I do not drink when I am in my cycle but I think it has to do with my jaw getting tired. Chewing too long or hard.
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 27th, 2008, 7:40am »

on Jan 27th, 2008, 2:42am, George_J wrote:
Here's a weird one:  Light (and/or heat) in the far infrared.

Some of you might remember this--about a year ago, I test-drove a sauna that used infrared light instead of the usual heated rocks.  Even though I was out of cycle, five minutes in the Box of Death started me shadowing hard.  I bailed, drank a Red Bull, and killed it.  But I will NEVER get into one of those tools of the Devil again.

If you're a masochist, you might want to give it a shot.  I'd be interested to know whether anyone has had a similar experience, or whether anyone else has the huevos to give it a try.

This is ONLY thing I've ever run across that triggered an out-of-cycle visit from the Black Dog in forty years of CH.

Best,

George  

Here ya go George.  It turns out that infrared light can penatrate the skull and shine right into your brain:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in _article_id=510172&in_page_id=1774

Go figure.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 27th, 2008, 7:42am »

on Jan 27th, 2008, 3:13am, Lebowski wrote:

I do not drink when I am in my cycle but I think it has to do with my jaw getting tired. Chewing too long or hard.

Chewing provides me with relief.  One of my stopgaps for keeping the beast at bay till I can get to my 'tools' is to pop two or three pieces of chewing gum in my mouth and chew like it's my job.

You might look at the ingredients on that bag of pop-corn.  It could be your getting triggered by something on that list.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #9 on: Jan 27th, 2008, 9:25am »

I've got hit few times myself after eating popcorn. I thought that it had something to do with the salt I got with them, because my diet at the time didn't contain salt that much.

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 27th, 2008, 12:34pm »

tangerines trigger it for me and i just figured that out this cycle, oh and beer but thats normal,
IP Logged

In heaven there is no beer so why not drink it while we´re here
maryo
New Board Junior
USA 

Johnny & Roy puzzle where to apply the O2 mask

« Reply #11 on: Jan 27th, 2008, 2:29pm »

Sitting with poor lumbar support can trigger a cluster. Alcohol has in the past but this year, which was my worst, I could drink w/out any change in CH (not that I would recommend it, but enjoying a Margarita was like sticking my tongue out at the Beast). For a many years, turning over o to my right side in bed would trigger one. In general, relaxation is a trigger.
IP Logged
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Jan 27th, 2008, 3:22pm »

on Jan 27th, 2008, 7:40am, DennisM1045 wrote:

Here ya go George.  It turns out that infrared light can penatrate the skull and shine right into your brain:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in _article_id=510172&in_page_id=1774

Go figure.

-Dennis-

Saw that helmet and thought I should invest - alzheimers runs in the family. I was wondering if the infrared makes it through the human skull, or just the rat skulls that they tested in on in phase I.  Hopefully, more will be known before I have to deal with that issue.  

Heat is a big trigger for me. So IR doesn't seem that weird. If it is enough to make me seriously sweat, I avoid it in cycle.  
IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
ronan76
New Board Newbie
Ireland 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 9:42am »

on Jan 27th, 2008, 12:10am, Linda_Howell wrote:

Hi, I had 5 cans of beer on saturday night and didn't have an attack so i dont think you can generalise by saying "Alcohol is a definite trigger" .. from my short experience with CH, it seems to differ from person to person...  
I expected the first beer to trigger one for me and it didn't so continued to have 4 more.. Smiley ... which was a pleasant relief..

at 3am that night i got an attack as ususal but it was swiftly dealt with by knocking down a zomig and a can of red bull..
IP Logged
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 10:03am »

on Jan 29th, 2008, 9:42am, ronan76 wrote:

Hi, I had 5 cans of beer on saturday night and didn't have an attack so i dont think you can generalise by saying "Alcohol is a definite trigger" .. from my short experience with CH, it seems to differ from person to person...

Certainly--but as far as episodics go, it seems that alcohol triggers headaches in a very large percentage.  

For those of us for whom alcohol acts as a trigger, we quickly learn to avoid it during a cycle--I would drink a quart of motor oil if it would kill a headache, but I wouldn't drink something that triggered one if it was the Nectar of the Gods.  

I'm sure that "a definite trigger" was not intended to mean "a universal trigger".  With CH, almost nothing is universal.

Best,

George  

IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
ronan76
New Board Newbie
Ireland 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #15 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 11:35am »

on Jan 29th, 2008, 10:03am, George_J wrote:

Certainly--but as far as episodics go, it seems that alcohol triggers headaches in a very large percentage.  

Hi George,
I am in no doubt that this is true and expected to be "hit" after about half a can...it was a pleasant surprise not to be...

CH is unusual to say the least ... friends of mine cant understand that coffee and redbull abort attacks.. they would presume that coffee would bring on an attack...as most non CH sufferers would..
IP Logged
DragonSlayer
New Board Veteran
USA 

That pain is only 1/2 as bad as you think it is!!!

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 1:56am »

on Jan 26th, 2008, 8:52pm, Lebowski wrote:
Anybody have some weird, random things that trigger CH's? A couple of things for me are:  
Popcorn. Dont know why but when I am in my cycle and eat popcorn I am guaranteed to get a CH. I love pop corn too  Tongue

Was the popcorn you ate a micro wave variety?  There could be chemicals in it that could be your trigger.  ( hear of the guy that was eating 3+ bags microwave Pcorn a day for years and got cancer from it?) Get out the pan and do it the old fashion way to see if you still get hit.  Might want to go light on the salt till you figure it out too.
IP Logged

Mr. Spock tried Vulcan mind meld during one of my K10 hits. You saw how he reacted on TV... then the movie "he's dead Jim"... But he came back....
Lebowski
New Board Newbie
USA 

The Dude Abides!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 7:03am »

I make popcorn the good way, on the stove. I really think part of it has to do with my jaw getting tired of chewing but it sure sets me off for a CH when I am in my cycle. Now that I think about it, I put way too much salt on it.
IP Logged
hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 11:33am »

Last cycle beer wouldnt trigger ch for me but this cycle,
well lets just say i didnt have one on new year and none this year to date Cry its okay but its annoying when all ya freinds are having fun getting pissed around you,
and all i can do is drive them home.
IP Logged

In heaven there is no beer so why not drink it while we´re here
Lebowski
New Board Newbie
USA 

The Dude Abides!

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 11:35am »

Yah no beer for me as well on New Years. I actually had one about 10pm. Took a Zomig and went way so I was still able to see the countdown.
IP Logged
Whipsmart
New Board Newbie
USA 

Hipster Doofus

« Reply #20 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 10:17pm »

Popcorn doesn't do it for me, but gummi bears do.  My jaw gets tired, and I'm soon dealing with the beast.   Lips Sealed  No more gummi bears for me.
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #21 on: Feb 1st, 2008, 7:05am »

I think what you guys are saying is that you KNOW that some things trigger CH in YOU. Best advice I can give you is DON'T do them when you're in cycle.  

I stayed away from BEER (and I love beer) for 12-13 years (while watching my friends enjoy the devil out of it) because it triggered mine (I'm chronic). Then one day (with meds on stand by) I drank one and NOTHING - and now I can drink one occasionally (I still don't push it). The same with MSG. What triggers today may NOT trigger a year from now. This disease is weird! It doesn't make sense and no one has figured it out yet.  

Just hang in there .....

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

msrngtp2002
New Board Newbie
USA 

Just my opinion

« Reply #22 on: Feb 1st, 2008, 8:35pm »

I find that chocolate, SOME beers (Labatt blue triggers but Dos Equis doesn't), and when the weather changes from crappy to nice I will end up with CH's every night for 3 or 4 days then they stop.

However this was really weird - I had an MRI on Monday at about 5:30 PM - felt great before, but within about 30 minutes I got a migraine (about an Cool that lasted for two whole days!  Imitrex did nothing for it (took the max dose).  Finally took a double dose of tramadol and drank a pot of coffee and it went away at about 3 AM.

Some time ago there was an article about a device that was supposed to end a migraine using a blast of magnetism - I wonder if the MRI magnets did just the opposite and triggered a migraine?  This was a brand new MRI machine with a larger opening and more powerful magnets.  

Anyone else ever experience this?
IP Logged
AlienSpaceGuy
New Board Veteran

Greetings from outer space

« Reply #23 on: Feb 1st, 2008, 11:08pm »

I have a real weird trigger.

For me neither the good, ripe Swiss cheese nor beer (or any other alcoholic beverage) on their own are triggers.

But on two occasions, in preparing for a long TV night, I ate some bread and cheese to my midnight beer, resulting in 3 hour monster attacks.
Some time later I learnt: the presence of alcohol speeds up a hundred fold the uptake of histamines from the ripe cheese. This histamine shock was enough to trigger the 3 hours attacks.

And yes Mom, I don't do it again.

smokin

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods and hates snake oil vendors.

outofcommission
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

damn......no place to park

« Reply #24 on: Feb 2nd, 2008, 9:12am »

i think the water treatment is kind of weird. i don't know what it is about drinking cold water really fast. maybe it has something mechanical. i know allot of us that use redbull say chug it down as fast as you can. also if i lay down my head has to be pointing strait forward and elevated. that will usually set one of in 15, 20 minutes.
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2008, 9:14am by outofcommission » IP Logged

that which does not kill you will only make you crazy, obsessive, and sleep deprived
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss