Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 6:37am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Auction Items and Door Prizes »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Dallas 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Auction Items and Door Prizes
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Auction Items and Door Prizes  (Read 20671 times)
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

Re: Auction Items and Door Prizes
« Reply #100 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 10:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Margi is right Dan. WE ARE MEMBERS and have asked for a finanacial accounting. How much money has been raised and how was it spent. We haven't had a report in the last eight or nine months.  

Maybe we're not on the right board to ask questions, but we get no responses on the OUCH board.  

Maybe the previous boards haven't done everything exactly right, but we were "forming" an organization and I, for one, think we did a pretty damn good job of getting it going and keeping it alive. We did it all for "free" and accomplished quite a lot in the years we were forming it. Yes, it's time to get in compliance, but it's still a "member" organization and this high handed line is NOT the way it was set up to be.  

My suggestion would be to set up some open communication with members. Maybe we should have some elections. Bob P is right -- the present BOD was NOT elected and that's a problem for me as well as several others.  

Personally I don't know if you're doing good or bad since there's no communication. This is NOT the United Way -- it's OUCH.  

BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Jackie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go For It!!!

Email

« Reply #101 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 11:18am »

After reading Dan's report I'm going to venture a guess as to where the funds are being spent.....

It looks to me like it's "Counsel"........counsel is "reviewing", "drafting" and "scrutinizing".  "Counsel" doesn't come cheap!

You all should be ashamed......asking questions and expecting answers about OUCH.....it's becoming more and more obvious that it's none of our business.

Jacks Cool
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #102 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 11:45am »

Wonder if Room 101 will be available at the hotel...  laugh
http://www.mondopolitico.com/library/1984/1984_c1.htm
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #103 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 1:59pm »

I just learned to be a hell of a lot more cautious about OUCH every since stuff with Jefferson.  I was free-sharing my honors project, but sorry...no way in hell now.

Even if the two researchers from Jeff DID contact OUCH on their own...I'm the liason.  Do you think someone from OUCH could have at least TOLD me about it?  No.

Does that piss me off?  Yes.

And yes, I've taken it up with people who should know more about this.

And I'm still pissed as hell.

My .02

Lizzie
IP Logged

don

Email

« Reply #104 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 2:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Liz,

If you dont like the way things are handled then you should follow the presidents orders and......

Quote:
cancel your OUCH membership.  

Thats right, get out of here ! What are you trying to do topple the Empire ?

IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #105 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 2:42pm »

Don, I've done some further digging to see if I could find a more precise answer to your original question since "funding medical research" while it was thoughtful of Donna to put that here for you, it really is still quite vague.  I think I found something in the archives over at the OUCH board.  It was contained in Magman's first post as President.  I still think it's bad public relations that non-members are not privy to this stuff, so, here you go, Don (and anyone else who is wondering what proposed uses for OUCH proceeds could be):

"I will be looking to the masses for the talent needed to succeed in our mission. Volunteerism is a noble offer and effort, but does not lend itself to accomplishing our goals in a timely fashion. Eventually, in the not to distant future, O.U.C.H. will provide salaried and/or hourly paid positions for those that serve. The funding will come from grants and donations currently under research. "

I have no idea if this idea is in practice or not at the moment.  I just thought this was interesting.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #106 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 2:56pm »

I never saw anything about it, but I was told a while back that they also bought some other pretty pricey software before the grant software.  Had something to do with business software to be used on Dan's server.  Also was told that they haven't seen anything of it since it was purchased.

This is second hand info so don't take it as fact, right away.

One small correction to the report, they're missing Chris Manning (Purpleydog) as a BoD member.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2005, 3:05pm by Bob P » IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
don

Email

« Reply #107 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 3:07pm »

Quote:
Also was told that they haven't seen anything of it since it was purchased.

The OUCH plot thickens.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #108 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 3:10pm »

Don, I thee you're thtill lithping.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2005, 3:11pm by Margi » IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
don

Email

« Reply #109 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 3:13pm »

I still prefer a twisted tongue over a forked one.

Power corrupts.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2005, 3:18pm by don » IP Logged
Missy_Donna
New Board Junior
USA 

See correct e-mail address under post.

Email

« Reply #110 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 6:10pm »

Wow.  Where did all of the animosity come from?

Sounds like some of you haven't been around here long enough to know what OUCH was like the year before last.  And if you were,  you couldn't have been reading the OUCH Business Board.

We had great presidents and now they're being tarred and feathered.

The bylaws are not what were voted in by the Board and Members.

The Members are the organization and the Board and Officers work for the members.....not the other way around.

The Business Archives were sealed when too many legitimate questions were being asked.  That's when it all started to change.

Why on earth would we pay people to do a lesser job now than people who worked many more hours and ran a good board?

Why do we need an attorney for everything we do now?

Do we have liability insurance yet?  It's over a year ago now that the Board that I sat on introduced the idea.

Where are the monthly committee reports?

If we don't post here, who's going to read what we have to say?

IP Logged

E-mail addy is dmh114@lycos.com

Charter Member..joined over 6 years ago.

Sufferer for 28 years.....now a supporter to my 33 year old son.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #111 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 6:34pm »

on Apr 6th, 2005, 6:10pm, Missy_Donna wrote:
The Business Archives were sealed when too many legitimate questions were being asked.

If thats true its just plain wrong......with the money that I have pumped into this Org. in the past I should be bitching....LOUD!!!

But you all are doing such a good job Grin
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #112 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 6:37pm »

So...do we have an opening bid for the cheese yet?  Grin
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
don

Email

« Reply #113 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 7:13pm »

Quote:
The Members are the organization and the Board and Officers work for the members.....not the other way around

Not any more Donna. And if you dont like it you can get out to.

So if I donate then my money goes to lawyers. I DONT THINK SO!

Maybe OUCH can trade cheese for atty. services. It will wipe out Wisconsin though.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2005, 7:35pm by don » IP Logged
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #114 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 9:22pm »

I am a member.  I joined years ago.  This thread is really disturbing.  I am disappointed.  'Nuff said.
IP Logged

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #115 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 9:34pm »

I'm with you Fu, I'm hating seeing such unpleasant, snide and sarcastic comments from supposed adults AGAIN! This bodes very badly indeed for OUCH US.

I'm a member but the only money I've ever given was to DJ to help run ch.com. There's no way I would donate any money unless I knew it was to be used wisely.

W the B

Addendum. and before anyone asks, yes, I do donate money, time and resources to OUCH UK because I know what they do with it. I don't always agree with everything they do, but for the most part, they make a small amount of money really work for sufferers, I would do the same for OUCH US if I had the same confidence.

« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2005, 9:48pm by pubgirl » IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #116 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 9:42pm »

on Apr 4th, 2005, 9:42pm, Redd715 wrote:
Look at the United Way or any other truely effective NP Org.

"Begging for Change",  the dollars and sense for making nonprofits responsive, efficient and rewarding for all.
Robert Egger     361.7068 E

Rober Egger, coincidentally took over the helm of United Way in Washington DC after one of the largest scandels in non-profit history, which started when they felt they were "shielded from critisism, like other nonprofits, hiding behind a noble mission.  As if questioning the planning is, in effect, questioning their integrity, their purpose, and the need of their constituents.  As if years of being in the business of doing good had made them unimpeachable"

Some quotes from his book:

"give answers and a plan, how and why we are addressing these causes."

"the real currency to operate non-profits is trust."

"If you chase money, it's an endless loop.  If you chase results, the money will come."

We are perpetually helping perpetually failing non-profits."

"The best models of advocasy and nonprofit management were the ones being practiced and not talked about."  

"Inform, instruct, inspire."

Kevin M

IP Logged
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #117 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 10:53pm »

After reading 5 pages of posts, I still really don't know any more than when we all began.

I also really don't know why Redd keeps saying that she is not going to post anymore, and then keeps posting.  That's actually kind of funny...

as confused as when i began,  

Casey...

then again, nobody really asked me  Lips Sealed

but if you did i'd tell you  Wink
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #118 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 11:19pm »

on Apr 6th, 2005, 2:39pm, don wrote:
Liz,

If you dont like the way things are handled then you should follow the presidents orders and......

Thats right, get out of here ! What are you trying to do topple the Empire ?

Why yes, Don.  That's why I got into doing research at Jeff to begin with.  And then because THEY wouldn't pay me, I got a job in the ER at the same time...worked 14 hours a day with a 2 hour commute each day.  So, for some odd reason, I felt like I was doing good things by fostering a bond between Jefferson and cluster matters...

So then I actually even came to school here because I thought that would be a good idea.  Jury's still out on that one.

And then I thought I'd help everyone out by going into headaches, but after working my ass off and STILL getting no thanks or credit for any of it, I decided that I wouldn't work in headaches anymore.  Half the reason i'm into neonatal is to get very far away from headache neuro.

So then I thought I'd still be helpful and design my honors project...and I even gave it to lots of people....at OUCH and Jefferson.

And then...some people from Jeff supposedly start contacting OUCH directly...and everyone says, "Oooh!  Thanks what a good job!!"  But was that directed to all the crap I tried to pull to get those two orgs together?  Nope...  (And this is no offense Dan)...  everyone thanked Dan for posting the newsletter and everything else.

There are days when I just want to flip the bird at all this crap....but for some reason, I'm still trying to become a member of AHS and get that honors project presented so it really DOES help everyone...even if I have to do it on my own.

<big sigh>

I feel better now.

Lizzie
IP Logged

Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Sometimes... Being good just ain't worth it.

27810130 27810130   kennkurr  
WWW Email

« Reply #119 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 11:55pm »

STOP!!!!!  Will everyone just stop a minute and cool down... Please!  I think this thing is just snowballing out of control, and if some sort of control isn't shown soon, things will just end up worse than they already are... Please.

I'm not going to defend either side.  God knows I have my own gripes about all this, but that's neither here nor there.  I think a lot of this could have been avoided if things were handled a bit better from the beginning.  I just have a couple quick questions:

Who is the media/public contact for O.U.C.H., and what is his'/her's contact information?

I have never worked directly for a non-profit organization, but I have worked in plenty of customer service roles for companies, and one thing you learn real quick is that you never, EVER tell someone (existing customer, new customer, former customer, ect...) that their question is not valid, or that you cannot answer their question.  What you do offer is to either find out the information for the person, or you give them direct contact information for whoever is responsible for the information.  It doesn't matter who the person is, or what the question is.  Even if the question does not seem valid to you, you can almost guarantee that it is valid to the person asking it.

Perhaps what every O.U.C.H. member that speaks on behalf of the organization should do is either provide the contact person and information when a question such as this is asked, or add it to a disclaimer line so that everyone will know who to go to with their questions or concerns.  Just because O.U.C.H. is a non-profit doesn't mean it doesn't need to provide a positive public image, and beneficial customer service.

And if you have a question you want answered, and are directed to contact a central contact person via e-mail, telephone, or other private media, as long as they are responding as a authorized contact for the organization, and you quote them exactly as they respond, there is no reason why you cannot repeat the information on the public forum (although you must be very careful to quote them exactly, or you can be held liable for the inconsistencies that arises that is deemed hurtful to the organization).  Of course, if the organization is posed the same or similar questions by multiple people, they should take the responsibility to post the answer in an acceptable, public way.

You may now return to your public deathmatch.

PFDAN......................................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #120 on: Apr 7th, 2005, 12:09am »

AHA!    

And the door prize/auction winner is:

Drk. Angel~~~~.

All proceeds go to diplomacy classes for all board members.   Wink

with all remaining monies to be spent on:

A new tat for Jonny.

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Edna
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #121 on: Apr 7th, 2005, 1:47am »

Sad

I sure miss what I found when I first came here.  

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #122 on: Apr 7th, 2005, 2:31am »

on Apr 7th, 2005, 1:47am, Edna wrote:
Sad

I sure miss what I found when I first came here.  

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Me too...

Well, most of it.

And I'm not even an old-timer...but things have changed rapidly.

Lizzie
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #123 on: Apr 7th, 2005, 9:04am »

on Apr 6th, 2005, 2:56pm, Bob P wrote:
I never saw anything about it, but I was told a while back that they also bought some other pretty pricey software before the grant software.  Had something to do with business software to be used on Dan's server.  Also was told that they haven't seen anything of it since it was purchased.

This is second hand info so don't take it as fact, right away.

A Robo thingy was purchased back last year (Feb or March - check the Treasurer's reports) that was supposed to have all the OUCH business posted on it including the books. We were supposed to have a P&P written last year but haven't seen anything on that either since the committee was formed.  

The Robo thingy would have been a good tool. It had places for bylaws and all legal stuff and budgets and all that (it did the math for you- I played with it some on convention budget and it was a neat tool). What happened to it?  

Just read the latest financial info and have some questions on that also. There were treasurer's reports thru June, but they're not posted. The convention stuff isn't posted

I just think it's TIME for some communication in OUCH. Things need to be back in the open. If members disagree with the BOD - so be it. I disagree with Congress most of the time, but at least I know what's going on and can state my opinion to someone who's doing something I don't like.  

From where Im sitting, OUCH was NOT in that bad a shape. Yes, some compliance issues needed to be "fixed", but they weren't major thing. The Bylaws needed to be redone to comply with IRS and Texas nonprofit laws, but that shouldn't have been a major deal if someone had taken the time to read the laws (which some of us did and were ignored). Now we're paying legal counsel to "write" them for us.  

Until communication is reestablished within OUCH, I don't think it's going anywhere.  

Oh well, guess "they" will do what's best.........

BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

magman
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #124 on: Apr 7th, 2005, 9:24am »

on Apr 7th, 2005, 9:04am, BarbaraD wrote:

A Robo thingy was purchased back last year (Feb or March - check the Treasurer's reports) that was supposed to have all the OUCH business posted on it including the books. We were supposed to have a P&P written last year but haven't seen anything on that either since the committee was formed.  
Because P&P is based on bylaws and the bylaws need to be changed.

The Robo thingy would have been a good tool. It had places for bylaws and all legal stuff and budgets and all that (it did the math for you- I played with it some on convention budget and it was a neat tool). What happened to it?  
It is still a good tool and wilil be put to use.

Just read the latest financial info and have some questions on that also. There were treasurer's reports thru June, but they're not posted. The convention stuff isn't posted
Why is everyone hung up on treasurer reports? No trust?

I just think it's TIME for some communication in OUCH. Things need to be back in the open. If members disagree with the BOD - so be it. I disagree with Congress most of the time, but at least I know what's going on and can state my opinion to someone who's doing something I don't like.  
OUCH will never be 'open' as in the past. Leadership does not need to spend endless hours [as we are right now] 'discussing' how things should be done. You want to change it, get elected and serve.

From where Im sitting, OUCH was NOT in that bad a shape. Yes, some compliance issues needed to be "fixed", but they weren't major thing. The Bylaws needed to be redone to comply with IRS and Texas nonprofit laws, but that shouldn't have been a major deal if someone had taken the time to read the laws (which some of us did and were ignored). Now we're paying legal counsel to "write" them for us.  
Not in bad shape??? No Corporate Book...which is the most fundamental instrument in proving a corporate identity?!?!? Without that one item, OUCH could be audited, fined and closed by the IRS for non-compliance and operating 'as' a business without being a business....go ask any lawyer.
Posting meeting minutes on a msg board is not corporate compliance.

The bylaws are contradictive and require counsels review to determine 'how' amendments can be made.

Until communication is reestablished within OUCH, I don't think it's going anywhere.  
Thank you for your opinion on OUCH's future.

Oh well, guess "they" will do what's best.........
If given a chance...yes, we will do our best.

BD

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss