Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:44am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « So it has been awhile since I have been here. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   So it has been awhile since I have been here.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: So it has been awhile since I have been here.  (Read 1237 times)
flavin
New Board Newbie
USA 

Give me Power to overcome

toddfranklin2001  

So it has been awhile since I have been here.
« on: Dec 27th, 2005, 6:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all.  It has been awhile since I have been to this site.  I have been suffereing with Ch's for about 17 years on and off.  The last time I was here I took the advice of some of you and was put on Varapimil and Imitrex statdose.  This seemed to work great and I did not have an episode for about 2 years.  I could get away with using 2 or 3 statdose kits every 6 months.  In the past 3 months i have gone thru 6 statdose and I am now on my 7th.  my question is:  Is there a way to get imitrex in a greater quantity other then the statdose pens?  Is it available in a Vial where I can use a needle for the injection.  I was reading a few post and saw someone mention it but when i did a search, it really didnt tell me any specifics.  I am really desparate right now since i only have 1.5 doses left.

Thank you in advance.

Todd
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

Re: So it has been awhile since I have been here.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27th, 2005, 7:21pm »

It comes in vials, ask your Doc!

Until then, check this out.

Extending your Imitrex

Posted by DJ on June 11, 1999 at 11:22:04:

Those of us that depend on Imitrex to get through our headaches know:

1) how expensive it is

2) how hard it is to get in the quantities we need

3) that we are only SUPPOSED to take 2 shots in a 24 hour period (2 shots = 12 mg of solution)

4) that using it on a regular basis MAY cause some rebound headaches

I'd like to share a trick I use to "get around" some of the above listed points and extend the use of my precious Imitrex.

Please understand that I am NOT a physician so I have no authority to tell you to do this for yourself. I am simply giving you something to think about. Take the information for what it's worth. I just got so tired of fighting with my Doc about the number of kits he would prescribe to me.

Ok, to sort of "set the stage". I take the limit of two auto-injectors of Imitrex in a 24 hour period like this. Each syringe of Imitrex that I'm supposed to auto-inject myself with contains 6mg of solution. That means that the most solution that I'm "allowed" to inject into my system in a 24 hour period is 12mg. Follow me?

Here's what I do...

1) I load the bottom part of the injector pin (the part that has the syringe in it) just like I'm going auto-inject myself as normal.

2) Once it's out of the case, I unscrew the syringe part of the pin so that it is again in two pieces. This exposes the top rim of the syringe (barely sticking out of the bottom half).

3) I use my fingernail to pull the syringe out of it's holder. I now have the syringe all by itself in my hand.

4) I remove the label from the syringe (or peel it back) so I can see the amount of solution is in the syringe.

5) I manually put the needle in my arm and use a Q-tip to manually push approx. one-third (2mg) of solution into my system (2mg - 3mg depending on the severity of the CH)

6) For those of you who don't like needles much, this may sound like torture, but it's not that bad. Really. It's a helluva lot easier than suffering from the attack!

I've experimented with the amount of solution to give myself but have found that one third of the syringe at a time will get rid of my headache in approximately the same amount of time that the full 6mg at once (maybe just a few minutes longer). The important part of doing it this way is... now my Imitrex kit that is supposed to last for only TWO headaches can get me through SIX headaches and I still don't go over the 12mg limit in a 24 hour period!!

Cutting down on the amount I use for each headache also seems to cut down on some of the rebound headaches that I noticed when I injected the entire 6mg at once.

What do you think the chances of us getting Glaxo Wellcome to manufacture some 2mg and 3mg auto-injectors for us cluster sufferers is? LOL, yeah, right.

If you have any questions about this, don't hesitate to email me.

IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 27th, 2005, 7:35pm »

Like Jonny said, many here can get by very well on 2-3mg/dose for relief.

Your choice is the method he described, or getting a script for multidose vials and syringes.  The only drawback is that a multidose vial contains about the same amount of med as a statdose.  The good part is that you can divide it to suit your needs.  You only need to learn how to inject yourself, and your doctor's nurse should instruct you on that.

Good luck!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
flavin
New Board Newbie
USA 

toddfranklin2001  

« Reply #3 on: Dec 27th, 2005, 7:57pm »

Actually I do only inject half the vial when I have a headache but since I am getting them more often, I am using more.  I can get thru 4 headaches on 2 statdose vials which helps. but when I am only allowed so many every 6 months  I can blow thru them pretty quick.  I got that trick from here as well.  thanks all.

Anyway  I am looking for more then just the 6mg pen injections.
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 27th, 2005, 8:00pm »

How about Oxygen?  Have you tried it?  I'm a Trex girl myself, but most here swear by it.  Cheaper too.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 27th, 2005, 9:54pm »

You've gotten some good info so far.  Like Jonny said, it does come in vials.  I believe each vial is 6mg also.  I dont know of any imitrex in single quantities of more than 6mg if thats what you are asking.
And like Kris said, have you tried Oxygen?  It works wonders for lots here.
GL, hope you get relief soon.  
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

flavin
New Board Newbie
USA 

toddfranklin2001  

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28th, 2005, 8:31pm »

Ok  so what i gather is that it only comes in the 6mg vials that come in the stat dose injector?  It does not come in any greater quantity then that?  So you guys are sticking insulin needles into the 6mg vials and extracting it that way.  Im not sure if i understand the point to that since it already has a needle attached.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 28th, 2005, 8:47pm »

on Dec 28th, 2005, 8:31pm, flavin wrote:
 Im not sure if i understand the point to that since it already has a needle attached.

Your not using the same neddle for every shot  Wink

Saftey issue.
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29th, 2005, 12:33pm »

on Dec 28th, 2005, 8:31pm, flavin wrote:
Ok  so what i gather is that it only comes in the 6mg vials that come in the stat dose injector?  It does not come in any greater quantity then that?  So you guys are sticking insulin needles into the 6mg vials and extracting it that way.  Im not sure if i understand the point to that since it already has a needle attached.

No, like Jonny said, it also comes in vials.  The vials hold 6mg and come in boxes of 5.

I use them and a 31 guage, .5cc, short needle syringe to inject a half dose and relief starts in about 5 minutes.

IP Logged
flavin
New Board Newbie
USA 

toddfranklin2001  

« Reply #9 on: Jan 6th, 2006, 6:26pm »

so wait a minute.  the 6mg vials that come in a box of 5 do not have the needles attached to them?  

Yes i am re-using the needles since i only inject half the juice.  i talked to my dr about this b/c a friend who is a nurse was concerned about infection.  He recommended that i wipe the needle with a alcohol swap and my injection spot before I inject.   I havent had any problems thus far. But, If it comes in vials that do not have the needle and i can use insulin needles, that would be better.  On the other hand it would be more difficult to transport since i dont carry a purse.  LOL

Also if possible  can someone post a picture of them  so that i can see what they look like?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2006, 6:33pm by flavin » IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 6th, 2006, 7:32pm »

IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
flavin
New Board Newbie
USA 

toddfranklin2001  

« Reply #11 on: Jan 6th, 2006, 9:41pm »

Thank you guys so much  i am going to the drs on monday to get a script for this.  this makes it so much easier i think.
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #12 on: Jan 6th, 2006, 9:51pm »

on Dec 27th, 2005, 6:54pm, flavin wrote:
The last time I was here I took the advice of some of you and was put on Varapimil and Imitrex statdose.  

The prevent?  Keep that search going too.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss