Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 12:39am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Low dose Verapamil and Melatonin »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Low dose Verapamil and Melatonin
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Low dose Verapamil and Melatonin  (Read 1061 times)
Revolvr
New Board Newbie
USA 

Low dose Verapamil and Melatonin
« on: Jan 9th, 2006, 7:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Back in October I started getting a few Shadows. Fall is my time of year for episodes and I have learned shadows precede a full blown episode from hell by about 3 weeks.

Went immediately to my Rx who started me on 160 mg/day Verapamil. I also started 9 mg Melatonin at night.

The shadows disappeared and I have had no problems.

It is very possible I jumped the gun and was never going to have an episode anyway. Or possibly this therapy actually worked. Since I can never do an A/B comparison I'll never know.

So I was curious if anyone else had any success with a similar treatment as a preventive?

TIA

-- Dan
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Low dose Verapamil and Melatonin
« Reply #1 on: Jan 9th, 2006, 11:36pm »

Hi Dan, verapamil didn't do a thing for me until it was up to 480 mgs a day. Glad it's working for you.  Smiley
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10th, 2006, 8:25pm »

I'd like to say I've had success.  Unfortunately, I never know when a cycle is going to hit (3-5 years remissions currently).  I can only tell you that between the last two cycles, I was on 240mg/day of Verapamil as part of my hypertension cocktail.  Sure didn't stop my last cycle from hitting.

After this last cycle, I weaned off the Verap (took 5 months until I was totally without twinges) and doc put me on a different drug for hypertension.  I'm now saving the Verapamil for when I REALLY need it.

If it worked for you as a preventative, say a little "thank you" prayer.  Hope you stay PF!

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10th, 2006, 9:14pm »

on Jan 9th, 2006, 7:02pm, Revolvr wrote:

Back in October I started getting a few Shadows.  

Went immediately to my Rx who started me on 160 mg/day Verapamil. I also started 9 mg Melatonin at night.

The shadows disappeared and I have had no problems.

It is very possible I jumped the gun and was never going to have an episode anyway. Or possibly this therapy actually worked. Since I can never do an A/B comparison I'll never know.

You hadn't mentioned if you've discontinued the use of each to see if there was anything still lurking there.  
  Even if you don't have a before/after comparison, (as Kris mentioned) be glad it either never came or was restrained during this episode by what you used.  
  In the past I've waited until the certainty of a hit before starting a preventative, which will leave the first couple weeks playing catchup and paying dearly for being a slow learner.   So to start and prevent during shadows without a hit, and with this now being three months later, safe to say, "who knows".   Wink

stay on yer toes.  
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2006, 9:17pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss