Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 9:26am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Rhodiola Update »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Rhodiola Update
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rhodiola Update  (Read 18373 times)
danielpeterson
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Rhodiola Update
« Reply #25 on: May 8th, 2008, 2:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For what it's worth: after a week of sometimes tear-splashing pain, the CH has been gone for a couple of days. THAT is better than the other two episodes that lasted over a month. When I would get a hit I would chomp on (chew, eat) the Rhodiola. It is, after all, only a herb, apparently similar to ginseng but from an alpine region. (In fact, my old herb-user friend would say ALWAYS eat your capsules --and Rhodiola sure tastes better than Goldenseal or Echinacea).  
On the other hand, I could have gone thru some sort of placebo effect, but since the Rhodiola was the only DIFFERENT thing I did it might be a Godsend... I ate right, slept more, took a liver-cleaner, drank plenty of water, PRAYED, stopped all caffeine, used salt, did the John Sarno exercises, took magnesium -- but the only truly difference was a couple of thousand mgs a day of RHODIOLA. THANKS.
IP Logged
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #26 on: May 9th, 2008, 8:44am »

I found Jarrow Formulas Rhodiola at this site for $15.00:  

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/search/en/query.jsp?q=Rhodiola&intsourc e=main&x=23&y=14

Hell, I'll give it a try since I done everything except purple crow's feet from Tibet  Grin

Off to the Lavatory

John Lips Sealed
IP Logged
Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #27 on: May 9th, 2008, 5:02pm »

on May 1st, 2008, 12:46pm, EstieSA wrote:
What was the verdict - is Rhodiola a MAOI or not?

I am sitting with 2 bottles of the stuff, but are scared to try as it may interact with the other meds I take...

Cymbalta , Verapamil, Epilim & Pur Bloka , of which only Cymbalta is working (for depression) at the mo!

From what I can find, it seems to be an MAOI, but I'd love input here as well.  If there IS anyway to find out definitively, I haven't found it.

Laurie

IP Logged

"It's comin' like a freight train - can't you hear it?" - Gary
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #28 on: May 9th, 2008, 9:23pm »

Laurie,

I found this on the internet..........you might want to further investigate.

In a nutshell there is concern with taking this with an antidepressant, ie prozac, but other sites says no know drug reaction--ambiguous results here.

http://www.goodhealth.nu/News_Articles/rosavin5.htm

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/alter/20071031/msgs/803912.html

http://www.evitamins.com/healthnotes.asp?ContentID=3956007

John
IP Logged
Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #29 on: May 11th, 2008, 12:48pm »

John, thank you for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie
IP Logged

"It's comin' like a freight train - can't you hear it?" - Gary
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #30 on: May 12th, 2008, 9:43am »

Rhodiola users.... have you noticed any side effects?

Thanks for the updates,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #31 on: May 16th, 2008, 8:23am »

Just started my yesterday with one in the AM and another before bedtime.  I had no shadows during the day, but one at 7:30 PM and several during the night.  I'll give it this week and see what happens.

I saw in a previous post on Rhodiola of not using it with taurine.  Is there a conflict with this and say Red Bull???

John  Cheesy
IP Logged
Trooper
New Board Junior
USA 

I ain't skeert!

Email

« Reply #32 on: May 17th, 2008, 12:57am »

I only took 300 mgs. at bed time on an empty stomach and then I would try 100 mgs. disolved on tongue as an abortive. I have not read any thing about Taurine and Rhodiola but I will look it up being I was using Taurine with coffee to chase away the shadows in the morning.

The only side effect I noticed was that I was having problems keeping my blood sugar regulated. I am not diabetic but I could possibly be hypoglycemic. I had a full physical while on Rhodiola and I discussed the blood sugar issue with my doc. Because not much is know about Rhodiola at this time, I took some info on it with me to the appointment. He read over the info I brought and he does not believe that this would be what was causing my issue. (blood sugar would rise and drop very rapidly)  

I am now out of cycle and med free. I am planning on trying Rhodiola again while out of cycle to see if I start having the same issue. I will keep you posted on how it goes.
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #33 on: May 17th, 2008, 5:07pm »

Thanks for the updates. Smiley

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #34 on: May 17th, 2008, 8:20pm »

on May 17th, 2008, 12:57am, Trooper wrote:

The only side effect I noticed was that I was having problems keeping my blood sugar regulated. I am not diabetic but I could possibly be hypoglycemic. I had a full physical while on Rhodiola and I discussed the blood sugar issue with my doc. Because not much is know about Rhodiola at this time, I took some info on it with me to the appointment. He read over the info I brought and he does not believe that this would be what was causing my issue. (blood sugar would rise and drop very rapidly)  

From my latest research Rhodiola replenishes adrenal glands and stimulate endogenous cortisol release, the body's natural steroid. Its like taking "natural" prednisone. Thats how it helps CH considering how much a prednisone taper can help.  

That also explain the problems with your sugar level. Cortisol affects levels of insulin, adrenalin and noradrenalin and its quite cyclical in nature so it will make your sugar level go up and down.

I am not sure whats the long term effect of rhodiola on the body considering its agonist effetcs on the adrenal glands. I am still looking into this.  

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #35 on: May 17th, 2008, 8:59pm »

So far I'm having luck with much dimished daytime shadowing.  No luck so far with the night time minor hits.  Today, I've upped the dosage to 3X (500mg each) per day including my nitetime pending dosage. Hoping for a good nite sleep for a change.

I've cut my red bull usage to about 1 per day now versus 2.  

John
IP Logged
beachmusic

Email

« Reply #36 on: May 18th, 2008, 7:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Wishing you the very best with the Rhodiola, John!  Please keep us all updated  Smiley Mary Ann
IP Logged
Trooper
New Board Junior
USA 

I ain't skeert!

Email

« Reply #37 on: May 21st, 2008, 7:14pm »

Annette, thank you sooooo much for the info!!! this is awesome to know!
IP Logged
cluster
New Board Veteran
Germany 

Water X 3 - It works !

« Reply #38 on: May 23rd, 2008, 3:25am »

Here is some more information about Rhodiola rosea:

http://content.herbalgram.org/abc/herbalgram/articleview.asp?a=2333

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodiola_rosea

pf wishes,
Friedrich

IP Logged

-> Click here to join O.U.C.H.

http://ck-wissen.de - German CH Site

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge"
Daniel J.Boorstin
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss