Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 6:53am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Shadow Question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Shadow Question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Shadow Question  (Read 655 times)
Elaine

Email

Shadow Question
« on: Feb 15th, 2002, 9:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have what I call shadows that come on before my cluster sometimes not every time. I don't always get a cluster when I have a shadow either. I take TTylenol  ex strenth when I get a shadow. Until I came here I called them warning signs.

What I want to know is.  When do shadows come for you and what do they feel like? Do you have a cluster every time you feel a shadow? Do you do any thing for a shadow?
IP Logged
TonyG
New Board Junior

Aloha Clusterville

Re: Shadow Question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15th, 2002, 9:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Aloha "E",
I have a constant shadow (meaning its always wiith me). During my cycle it is definetly more intense and will at times let me know I'm getting ready for the big Dance, But not always. Its kinda fickle for me LOL.  
I know for sure I'm getting ready to dance when preasure hits my eye and my right nostril gets stuffy.
Many PF days to you....Tony Undecided
IP Logged

Bless our Military!!!
"Know it" All People, will one day LEARN!
It's know everything individuals that screw everything up!!!
Carl_D

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 15th, 2002, 12:11pm »

Hi Elaine,
    I am always shadowing, but for me it is mostly light when I am not getting racked up all the time with CH. When the CH is acting on overtime, the shadows worsen between episodes...
But yeah, my head aches almost 24/7. Sometimes when they get too bad, I will sit on the floor, and lean forward as if trying to touch my forhead to the floor. It creates some kind of a pressure, but actually relieves the shadows a bit.  
I consider shadows to be that dull thudded pressure behind the eye and twisting in the temple. Almost like having a level 0.5 - 1 on the kip. When they are really bad, it is like a kip 1-2.  I tried the Doans pills like you suggested awhile back, but they seem to do nothing.  
Glad to see you here, and hope your doing well.
Incidently, does the light bother you when shadowing? It does me somewhat.
 Cool
Peace,
Carl D
IP Logged
ave

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15th, 2002, 1:49pm »

TEXT
Cool

During an episode I will get shadows at times when I normally don't get  pain attacks.  
Out of episode on the other hand, I get shadows on a regular basis, often at times when I normally would get pain attacks.
They come more often and get intenser when an episode looms, that's how I know.

Keep well
Annemarie Cool

IP Logged
Kirk
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

161860987 161860987   kirk_jones511   krkevrtt
Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 15th, 2002, 2:22pm »

Usually my shadows are during the day and don't lead to a full blown CH. The only exception to that is when I'm around florescent lights and not always then. Although if I go to the Wal-Mart here I have about 20 minutes before I get nailed. go figure
IP Logged

Linda T
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 15th, 2002, 7:06pm »

[/color][color=Orange] Cheesy ;D  

When I'm not going through attacks, I very rarely get shadows.  Shadows for me are just a pressure on the right side of my face, which is the side that usually gets attacks.  Some days I get shadows all day, 24/7 so to speak.  Before the attacks hits, I get pain in the front of my neck, sort of like a swollen gland.  When I feel that, I know a bad one is coming, and fast.  Usually 10 or so minutes later - BAM.  But, I guess to answer you question, I dont always get a full blown attack
IP Logged

What a long, strange trip it's been!
Todd

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 15th, 2002, 8:52pm »

From my perspective, to qualify as a shadow, the sensation must:

1. be unique, yet similar to a cluster
2. have predicted a full-blown attack sometime in the past
3. generally provide warning of an impending cycle or (if in cycle) of an attack

My shadows are a "tightening" of the skin on my right temple. I compare it to the sensation of stretched skin you sometimes get from a sunburn.  If this tightening is followed by a stuffed up right nostril, the odds of an attack are greatly increased. I consider the stuffed nostril the first stage of a cluster.  

Personally, I've never had a shadow continue after an attack. I have sometimes gotten a dull headache, which I consider a not-unreasonable reaction to the ordeal I've just endured.  

In short, during cycle my first warning of a cluster is this shadow. Understanding it is what allows me to use Imitrex tabs with an effectiveness that closely approaches what most people claim for the jabs - 10-20 minute relief time.  

Now, I've also had both shadows and "hard shadows" periodically over the past PF year. By "hard shadows" I refer to a shadow as described above that escalates to a very brief period (a few seconds or minutes) of a pain identical to CH except in intensity. In my earlier, "regular" years, I never had this. It's new, but so is the length of my PF periods (nearly 3 yrs as I type). I'm wondering if I haven't missed my cycle so much as had a very long, very low intensity one?
IP Logged
Jodi

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 17th, 2002, 7:26pm »

Marie,
I get the shadows during the day, making my nights unspeakable ha ha but the days just drag for me.  buts thats really only when i'm in a cluster period.
  Cool
IP Logged
Marijke
New Board Junior
Belgium 

Nice board!

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 18th, 2002, 2:57pm »

Cool
Elaine, Carl..

Funny, I noticed that flickering light isn't too good for the shadows too. A drive a tree-lined road in sunny weather is a definite trigger for shadows - when in cycle.  Am thinking of getting some darker sun glasses - maybe it helps.

Love

Marijke
IP Logged
Elizabeth

Email

Darker sunglasses
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18th, 2002, 5:32pm »

Darker sunglasses definitely help!
The ones I have are too light for bright days but perfect to use indoors during shadows/attacks.  
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss