Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 17th, 2024, 11:47pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Some computer help:  Reader Rabbit games »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Some computer help:  Reader Rabbit games
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Some computer help:  Reader Rabbit games  (Read 922 times)
van

Email

Some computer help:  Reader Rabbit games
« on: Feb 19th, 2002, 6:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Last night I complained that my computer hard drive was running and running but I could not find a program which was running.  Here is what i found out:

I had installed Reader Rabbit for my son to play.  The Reader Rabbit games are distributed by Broderbund.  Broderbund (others too) secretly install a sort of spyware program that collects info and trys to send that info back to the company.  My firewall was blocking it, but the program was eating up computer resources--sending over 9000 requests per 30 minutes to try and contact the parent co over the internet.  This made the hard drive work constantly and many programs were very slow.

My Firewall and virus protector missed the program because i installed the CD.  The CD gave me the option NOT to install the dssagent program, but it did not follow my instructions and did so anyway.

So, I found the following sites, paid attention, followed their advice and the program is gone.  I have back full system resources (cpu is not 95% busy and hard drive is quiet).

If you have installed these games, beware, but know of the fix.  Other programs install the same type of programs.

Where I learned about the broderbund spyware:
http://cexx.org/dssagent.htm

Here is how to find stuff & delete in the Registry--be careful if you play with the Registry!!!
http://cexx.org/startup.htm#registry

Here is the site Broderbund offers to delete the registry keys, etc.:
http://support.learningco.com/brodcastpatch.asp

Good luck--follow directions to the letter on the above sites and you will be fine.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2002, 1:05pm by van » IP Logged
jonny

Email

Re: Some computer help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19th, 2002, 7:17pm »

Thanks, Bro.........its a good thing to know.
IP Logged
Frank

Email

Re: Some computer help:  Reader Rabbit games
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20th, 2002, 2:32pm »

If you're like me, you probably several other spyware programs running that you don't know about (Adware, Alexa 1.0-5.0, Aureate v1.0,2.0 + 3.0, Comet Cursor v1.0 and v2.0, Cydoor, Doubleclick, DSSAgent, EverAd, eZula, Expedioware, Flyswat, Gator, Hotbar 1+2, OnFlow, TimeSink v1.0,v2.0 and v5.0, Web3000, Webhancer, Transponder, Wnad,
ZapSpot, SurfPlus, AdvertBar, NetPal, CashBar and more... (updated regularly).

I use a utility called Ad-Aware 5.62 to remove them. Available here: http://www.lsfileserv.com/downloads.html
There is also an auto-updater (RefUpdate).
IP Logged
David_M

Email

Re: Some computer help:  Reader Rabbit games
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20th, 2002, 2:35pm »

Awesome.  I do so enjoy disabling the watchers!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss