Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 2:14am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « horton and cluster? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   horton and cluster?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: horton and cluster?  (Read 598 times)
Cain

Email

horton and cluster?
« on: Feb 19th, 2002, 6:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello
   Is Horton's syndrome = cluster headache?    ???
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

Re: horton and cluster?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19th, 2002, 6:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You're not the first to post this question. It's been awhile but if you stick around, someone who can answer this will post or email.  Sorry I can't directly answer.  

Charlie Smiley
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
jonny

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19th, 2002, 7:07pm »

Cluster headache is a clinical entity first described by Eulemburg in 1878 but known since 1939 as  Horton's headache after the researcher who collected and managed the largest series of case's. it is the most sever form of primary, idiopathic headache and was recently classified by DR Peter Goadsby as one of the trigeminal automatic disorders.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2002, 7:13pm by jonny » IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 19th, 2002, 8:48pm »

The first description of cluster headache is usually attributed to authors who published between
1867 and 1939, but lately several researchers have found accounts dating back to the 18th or even
the 17th century which are incomplete or do not account for cluster headache in the strict sense.
However, Gerhard van Swieten gave a full description of a case of episodic cluster headache
meeting the IHS criteria in 1745, in his textbook of clinical medicine, the mainstream textbook of
Continental medicine in those years, since van Swieten was the founder of the then leading medical
centre, the Vienna School. That the case was found again only in 1992 is due to the circumstance
that it was published in Latin.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 19th, 2002, 8:57pm »

Horton, Bayard Taylor (1895-1980), American physician. Horton is known for classic descriptions of two clinical entities. In 1932 Horton and two colleagues from the Mayo Clinic described giant cell arteritis as a new disease entity. This disease, however, was actually described for the first time two years earlier by an American physician, Max Schmidt, in a study of intracranial aneurysms. In 1939 Horton described the condition now known as a cluster headache or Horton's syndrome.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Cain

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 20th, 2002, 9:42am »

Hello
Thank you all for your answers. I'm in the middle of my first headache season, and now that I know I'm not alone, I feel a little better.
  Greetings
IP Logged
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #6 on: Feb 20th, 2002, 2:24pm »

A very readable account of Dr. Horton's work can be found in a 1954 volume by Dr. T.G. Suess, "Horton Hears a Who" (Random House, New York).

We are here! We are here! Smiley
IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 20th, 2002, 6:01pm »

WHY have I not called it that before....i should have...cause noone takes headaches serious...from now on, nancyc has horton's....let those ignorance asses figure that one out LOL...smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss